NHL'94 Forums

Play NHL 94 on your 3DS (Genesis and SNES!)

Sean

I've seen a few threads recently about handheld emulation, and both times it was focused on the original DS family. Emulation on those consoles is definitely much more well documented and cheaper, so if you're looking for ease or something low cost, it's a great option, but for anyone who wants the 3DS library or a bit more of a premium experience, I'd recommend springing for the 3DS.

I'll stop soapboxing about how great of a console it is and get to the main point: playing NHL on the console.

1. You will need a homebrewed console, preferably one of the "new" models for speed purposes. If you need to homebrew your 3DS, follow this guide here.

2. After you homebrew the console, I'd recommend installing RetroArch, which LibRetro outlines how to do in this YouTube video. This is important just to make sure any cores the game needs are on the console, since sometimes the .cia files (how the console reads games) function as forwarders to RetroArch instead of an independent app.

3. Rinse, and repeat Step 2 with the .cia of your choice, found right here.

NHL 94 (Genesis).cia NHL 94 (SNES).cia

For now, only the original games are on this thread. If you'd like to make your own injections of other ROMs, use this link for SNES, and this link for GENS.

If you have any questions, please let me know in the thread.

Edited by seamor
  • Like 1

I'm more curious than anything, but I'd imagine if you have RetroArch on your 3DS then you would be able to just download the original .bin file?  Based on your post here I'm assuming that you'd still need the bin file but you could install the .cias as a forwarder to RetroArch.

12 minutes ago, Boston Boy said:

I'm more curious than anything, but I'd imagine if you have RetroArch on your 3DS then you would be able to just download the original .bin file?  Based on your post here I'm assuming that you'd still need the bin file but you could install the .cias as a forwarder to RetroArch.

That could work, but most people I know use the forwarders for the menu icons, and the convenience. It's a lot easier to put a shortcut to a document on your desktop than it is to open word and track it down every time, you know what I mean?

• Love 1

3 hours ago, halifax said:

Thanks bud. I got it out there!

No problem. Maybe at some point we'll have an appendix of every possible way to play NHL 94... and there'll be a race to do them all.

• Thanks 1