NHL'94 Forums

EA hacked -- source codes stolen

lost login

Although my feelings about that are the same, using that code here would be asking EA to come and close us. But porting or something like that would be pretty neat and less dangerous legally

Edited by Bunkai
Ortography

Would be amazing if the code were released, but I'm pretty sure they lost it or it's on a long-obsolete hard drive or tape backup in a storage room somewhere. "Source control" wasn't really a thing back then.

For example the source for one of my favourite games/expansions, Homeworld:Cataclysm, from 2000, is lost: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeworld:_Cataclysm#Legacy

38 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Would be amazing if the code were released, but I'm pretty sure they lost it or it's on a long-obsolete hard drive or tape backup in a storage room somewhere. "Source control" wasn't really a thing back then.

For example the source for one of my favourite games/expansions, Homeworld:Cataclysm, from 2000, is lost: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeworld:_Cataclysm#Legacy

At least we'd have the rewind code ;)

1 hour ago, Bunkai said:

At least we'd have the rewind code ;)

As far as I know, Rewind is actually still essentially just a modded ROM, not made from source code. It's a 3rd-party creation using a custom-made emulator that can augment the emulator games. Scroll to the very bottom of their homepage, it's called Arsenal, "The ROM Supercharger" https://www.emptyclipstudios.com/

• Like 1

Whilst I doubt that EA has source code from this far back stored anywhere, it'd be kinda cool if it showed up during, say, a basement clearance by Lesser or Simmons on a 5.25" floppy disc and it was put online.  

praying-hands-sticker-white-vector-id113

1 hour ago, LaTormenta said:

Whilst I doubt that EA has source code from this far back stored anywhere, it'd be kinda cool if it showed up during, say, a basement clearance by Lesser or Simmons on a 5.25" floppy disc and it was put online.  

Lesser and/or Simmons might turn out to be the best chance. Similar to the story a couple years ago of former Team17 programmer Chris Blyth finding the original source code for Worms on an old Amiga that was sitting in his shed since the '90s.
Here's hoping anyway.

• Like 1