NHL'94 Forums

NOSE new/test versions

smozoma

This thread is for new test versions of NOSE, with new features.

Let me know if you have any problems with it (did I break anything??)

The installation instructions are the same as for the 'official' NOSE, see here. If you have previously done the steps 3 and 4 from there, you don't need to do them again.

v1.2c - 2020-Sep-26

New features:

1. NOSE remembers the directory where you last opened/saved a ROM
  2. You can associate NOSE with .bin ROM files in windows so they can be opened by double-clicking (instructions)
  3. IMPORTANT: follow the installation instructions from the older NOSE thread

NOSE-1.2c-beta-2020-09-26.zip

Future Features?

1. NOSE keeps a list of your 10 most recently-opened ROMs in the File menu.
  2. Applying simple mods/hacks like the weight bug fix.
  3. Super Nintendo ROM support (this will be a slow, progressive feature. First version will probably simply open a SNES ROM and display teams and players but not allow editing. 2nd version might allow changing team/player names but not the number of players. 3rd ... more improvements each time.)
  • Love 4

Aside from the obligatory "Whooooooaaaaa", I had a question... but then I just tried it out and answered that question myself. But now I have a new question.

I noticed that the default program works with up to 32 team ROMs, but any thoughts on making 34 the default? [For the sake of kingraph's NHL95 34 team edit]
Incidentally, I copied over the 34 team roms.ini file from my NOSE 1.2B to the 1.2C folder and it worked fine.

Second question: The SNES functionality would be really cool, any thoughts on having menu option functionality for the NHL 96-98 games?

As an aside, I did however have quite a lot of fun with my antivirus wanting nothing to do with this version. Perhaps it was just due to updates, but I don't remember having anywhere near the level of difficulty getting it to allow me to open the the 1.2B exe file.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, von Ozbourme said:

Aside from the obligatory "Whooooooaaaaa", I had a question... but then I just tried it out and answered that question myself. But now I have a new question.

I noticed that the default program works with up to 32 team ROMs, but any thoughts on making 34 the default? [For the sake of kingraph's NHL95 34 team edit]
Incidentally, I copied over the 34 team roms.ini file from my NOSE 1.2B to the 1.2C folder and it worked fine.

Second question: The SNES functionality would be really cool, any thoughts on having menu option functionality for the NHL 96-98 games?

As an aside, I did however have quite a lot of fun with my antivirus wanting nothing to do with this version. Perhaps it was just due to updates, but I don't remember having anywhere near the level of difficulty getting it to allow me to open the the 1.2B exe file.

Thanks for the questions!

34-team 95: Point me to a compatible roms.ini for that and I'll add it in the next update! I assume the 34-team ROM has a custom ID string in order to tell them apart? Don't want to break the editing of the original game.

" thoughts on having menu option functionality for the NHL 96-98 games?" I don't know what this is about, I've only ever used it for Sega 94 :). Give me some more details? This is specifically about SNES 96-98?

Antivirus: Interesting! I wonder what's different about the EXE i'm producing... It could be that the antivirus is familiar with the old NOSE already somehow, since many people have used it in the past.. 

• Like 1

This is awesome news, thanks for doing it!  I look forward to downloading it and trying it out!  If I notice any "bugs" (if you will), I will certainly pass them along.

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, smozoma said:

Give me some more details? This is specifically about SNES 96-98?

Sorry, I meant the MegaDrive/Genesis versions of 96-98. They all use essentially the same engine with a few tweaks. The main difference between them and the 92-95 versions is that the main menu does not include the default match up info and some of the options are disabled depending on what game mode you are on. Given that the team selection is on a second option screen after game mode/settings are set obviously complicates matters, but the Menu options window doesn't even show up in NOSE when editing those games.
Admittedly I'm only asking because not being able to change the default match up is the one thing that really bugs me about my mods of those games.

20 hours ago, smozoma said:

Antivirus: Interesting! I wonder what's different about the EXE i'm producing... It could be that the antivirus is familiar with the old NOSE already somehow, since many people have used it in the past.. 

Yeah it keeps coming up that the program is attempting to change the "about.png" file in the same folder as NOSE. Also gave me separate  "Cyber Secure" and "Ransomware" tags. Part of it is likely due to the fact that you aren't a "trusted source" like Microsoft or Adobe, [no comment] but it's weird how aggressive the antivirus is being. Admittedly I don't really install many new things on this old computer anymore so my sample size is skewed.
Weirdly, I allowed it and did some poking around yesterday, and then it went back to blocking by default again tonight. Version 1.2B only needed me to allow it the one time and it's been fine ever since, so something weird is going on here. [To overuse the word]