NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 2022 ROM by The Sauce

Sauce

Hi everyone!

It's that time again...
As with past years, I am posting my NHL94 2022 edition ROM (various updates, to come, throughout the season).  I'll start with Preseason and post additional versions as the season progresses.

About the ROM:

*32 teams.  Seattle Kraken are included.  
*The ROM is based off of the Slapshot67 32-team template.  
*60 Min. OT.
*The ROM has the "weight bug fix". 
*The ROM has Clockwise's sprite patch.
*The rom has the WAS/WPG freeze bug.  When corrected, it causes an issue for the playoff mode.  If you use Kega Fusion, it will not freeze the player cards for those teams.
*Uniforms have been updated for Arizona (both home and away).
*Lines/d pairs may not accurate.  Not all players will make the roster due to limits as well as some injured players will be back and that's why they are not removed.

If you notice any mistakes, please let me know... enjoy!

Season ROM - V1 (posted 10/13/21)

NHL94 2022 v1.bin

Season ROM - VPO (posted 5/1/22) - END OF REGULAR SEASON/PLAYOFF VERSION

NHL94 2022 vPO.bin

NHL94 2022 TS.png

McDavid Scores!.png

Tonights Matchup.png

Faceoff.png

Seattle.png

Edited by Sauce
Added Playoff verison of the ROM. Removed versions 2-5. Updated screenshots.
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tabs3121 said:

Thanks. But Austin Mathews should be on the start screen snice he's the cover star of nhl 22 this year.

You're welcome!

I have no interest in copying them so my ROM cover stars have been different each year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabs3121 said:

Thanks. But Austin Mathews should be on the start screen snice he's the cover star of nhl 22 this year.

EA received a ton of criticism for having him as their cover star for the 2nd time in 3 years so even more reason not to do it.  :)

• Like 1

Love it! Wish the SNES version could be hacked, I'm definitely more of a SNES guy. I noticed the Coyotes use their old logo instead of the modernized one.....was this choice deliberate? Or was it made to accomodate for the Coyotes jumping ship in the next few years? Either way I believe that logo is outdated. Regardless, still really cool and I hope a SNES ROM gets made.

Thank you. Stay safe

6 hours ago, PlazmaCube said:

Love it! Wish the SNES version could be hacked, I'm definitely more of a SNES guy. I noticed the Coyotes use their old logo instead of the modernized one.....was this choice deliberate? Or was it made to accomodate for the Coyotes jumping ship in the next few years? Either way I believe that logo is outdated. Regardless, still really cool and I hope a SNES ROM gets made.

Thank you. Stay safe

They've been using the Kachina logo all post-season/Summer as their primary logo.  It was used at the recent draft, is on their Twitter account and their official site.  Plus... https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coyotes-new-ice-originally-classic/c-326027538
Seems pretty official to me. 

I used the Kachina 3rd jersey, that they wore for half of last season, as their home jersey color scheme.  It's also the one that they used, at the recent draft, when they presented it to their #1 draft pick (Dylan Guenther).  For away, I used the version/color scheme, of it, that they wore circa 1997-2003.

Edited by Sauce

On 8/24/2021 at 9:37 PM, Sauce said:

EA received a ton of criticism for having him as their cover star for the 2nd time in 3 years so even more reason not to do it.  :)

I'm a Leafs fan and I still can't wrap my head around that. I figured they were doing regional covers, but.. no it looks like Matthews is indeed the cover player again.

Maybe the idea is that it appeals to Canadians (Leafs) and Americans (Matthews) at the same time? Or just because it's the first PS5/XBX edition and they think appealing to Toronto fans will pump up the numbers?

Swiss player Nino  Niederreiter  was on their regional cover 3 years in a row. Roman Josi twice in a row. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_(video_game_series)

Hi All!  Happy Labor Day!

I have posted an updated version of this ROM in the original post (now called " NHL94 2022 Preseason Edition").  I updated it after Jesperi Kotkaniemi was recently acquired by Carolina, via offer sheet, and Christian Dvorak was traded to Montreal.  I added some other new signings, as well, and updated several jersey numbers (not all are official yet).

I still have Jack Eichel as benched in the game but he can still be activated if you choose to do so.  As it is now appearing that both Vladimir Tarasenko and Phil Kessel, despite their trade requests, will be on their current teams, come opening night, I have made them as part of the active rosters.  Tarasenko was recently seen skating/practicing with some of his Blues teammates, in team attire, so who knows...

I'm not sure if I'll do another update prior to the start of the season unless there is significant activity that warrants an update.  TBD

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 1:44 PM, smozoma said:

Maybe the idea is that it appeals to Canadians (Leafs) and Americans (Matthews) at the same time? Or just because it's the first PS5/XBX edition and they think appealing to Toronto fans will pump up the numbers?

This was the best I could come up with too, but you would think that after the Leafs' <insert mocking adjective here> first round exit, EA wouldn't figure it beneficial to hitch their wagon on him again so soon. Not to mention that there are six other regions that very much dislike Toronto and the Leafs [although they will admittedly be buying the game anyway so it doesn't matter]

Although to be fair, if EA wants to pump up their PS5 numbers, I'd say that they would probably be better served by getting Sony to pump up their PS5 numbers.

On 8/27/2021 at 3:44 PM, smozoma said:

I'm a Leafs fan and I still can't wrap my head around that. I figured they were doing regional covers, but.. no it looks like Matthews is indeed the cover player again.

Swiss player Nino  Niederreiter  was on their regional cover 3 years in a row. Roman Josi twice in a row. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_(video_game_series)

Somehow missed this post... you may be on to something with the Ameri-Canada appeal.  It's possible.  Then again, I guess it makes sense to have the same cover player as the game hasn't changed since he last graced the cover.  :lol:

Would have been nice if they could have picked a player with less of a creepy "want some candy in the back of my van" look!

@retroNYI  Scroll to the top to find my NHL94 2022 version (as you asked elsewhere on the forum).

Per your other question, the stamina hack is a simple edit to reduce stamina quicker.  It is not applied to my NHL94 2022 rom as it is not a very popular hack and I have only done it during the playoff versions.  If you wish to apply it to the NHL94 2022 version, let me know and I will send you the instruction (or just search Stamina Hack on this forum).  All you do is change two numbers within the hex code.  As long as you have a hex editor program (they are free to download), you can do the change (if desired).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!  I am still continuing updates to this rom as players sign or re-sign.  I'm also updating jersey numbers, as they get confirmed, as well as the uniforms themselves (if changes are revealed like Arizona).  Barring any noteworthy trades, my plan is to post a new version in time for the start of the upcoming season.

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce

The new NHL season is upon us!  Well, technically, it started last night.  Anywho... I just posted V1 of my season ROM.  I will keep the preseason ROM posted for a little while but will take it down sometime later this month.

What to expect:
*Lots of new skaters (many rookies) since my last post.
*Updated some headshots.
*Removed Jack Eichel.  I know he is a star player but it's not looking good that he'll play this year due to Buffalo's management being dumb and, recovery time needed if he gets the surgery he desires.
*Lines/D-pairings may not be 100% accurate.  Not all opening night skaters will be in this version.  I left several injured players in the game as they are expected to return soon (Crosby) or later in the season.  I'd say 98-99% of the opening night roster folks are in this ROM.

If you notice any mistakes, please let me know.

I will update my 3v3 version sometime over the next week or two.

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce
  • Like 2

One thing I noticed about the playoff format on this ROM, I chose to be the Columbus Blue Jackets and my first round opponent was always the Chicago Black Hawks.  It seems the game is still remembering last year's division format.  Now that the original divisions are back for 2022, shouldn't the playoff format change to that as well?  Is there a way to fix this so an Eastern Conference team isn't playing a Western Conference team in the first round?  Thanks for all the hard work on this ROM!

2 hours ago, baronsfan88 said:

One thing I noticed about the playoff format on this ROM, I chose to be the Columbus Blue Jackets and my first round opponent was always the Chicago Black Hawks.  It seems the game is still remembering last year's division format.  Now that the original divisions are back for 2022, shouldn't the playoff format change to that as well?  Is there a way to fix this so an Eastern Conference team isn't playing a Western Conference team in the first round?  Thanks for all the hard work on this ROM!

Half the playoff bracket programming is based on the 16 playoff teams from last season.  The other half is based on the 16 teams that didn't make it.  With them, I structured it based on how they finished in the standings as I have done with my previous season ROMs.  I think I made Seattle an 8th seed because they had to be included and it made sense. 

Last season/playoffs was unique, to say the least.  Thankfully, we get to return to a normal structure this season.  I will update the playoff trees when I do a playoff version of this ROM, later this season.  I'm not going to do it sooner unless you have a crystal ball.  :)

Edited by Sauce
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Sauce said:

I will update the playoff trees when I do a playoff version of this ROM, later this season.  I'm not going to do it sooner unless you have a crystal ball.  :)

Well, I don't know about him, but if I had one of those,
I wouldn't let you know until I've collected on the rather large wager I'd have placed on the Finals.

26 minutes ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Thankyou for this! I did notice one oddity, although perhaps it was intentional. Toronto has John Tavares double-shifted as both SC1 LW and SC2 C. 

He's the LW only if you play with no line changes (NLC) on.  If you play with line changes he is the 2nd line center (SC2) and Nick Ritchie is the 1st line LW (SC1).

Edited by Sauce

Just now, Sauce said:

He's the LW only if you play with no line changes on.  If you play with line changes he is the 2nd line center (SC2) and Nick Ritchie is the 1st line LW (SC1).

Doh, you’re right! Awesome. Sorry I didn’t notice that before writing. Thanks again for your work!

2 minutes ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Doh, you’re right! Awesome. Sorry I didn’t notice that before writing. Thanks again for your work!

No worries...all good.  Thanks for the kind words/checking it out!

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 2:57 PM, LaTormenta said:

As I seem to do every year now, here is my custom cover for the ROM (along with a bonus version for the Tampa fans on here...).  Enjoy!

Nice work! You inspired me to do up my own, and share it here.

For anyone who wants cover artwork and absolutely positively has to have Austin Matthews on their custom cover, this is for you. :) I did one very faithful to the layout of the original Genesis release, and one with the front slightly re-arranged in order to have an image frame better suited to the official EA photo for this year. If anyone wants my original 60 meg Photoshop file to edit their own way, just send me a note.

Video Game Boxes - SMD - NHL '94 - 2022a.png

Video Game Boxes - SMD - NHL '94 - 2022b.png

Edited by AdamCatalyst
typo

On 11/1/2021 at 10:00 PM, Sauce said:

No worries...all good.  Thanks for the kind words/checking it out!

In case you can't tell, I am a fresh off the boat noob here. I didn't even know that anyone was still doing updates to this ROM until the other day! I've been loving playing your version, and have gone in to tweak it a tiny bit, because I'm the sort of person who can't leave well enough alone. :) I'm prepping a version for my Leafs fan brother-in-law, and wanted to replace the in-game image of McDavid image with an image of Matthews for him. I don't expect you to teach me how to do it, but if you could point me in the direction of any resource that you would recommend, I would greatly appreciate it. Been struggling to figure it out myself. And to be clear, I don't want to mess with your credits or anything else, just the tiles (and presumably the colour palette) for that one screen. No worries if you don't have time, I know I'm asking a stranger for a favour.

cheers,

-AC

@AdamCatalyst My recommendation is to start here, with the link below.  You'll need to download and learn Tile Molester, for doing in-game photo/image edits.  Below is a thread that is a good starting point to help folks understand how to do so.  There are also some other "how to" articles for GENS rom editing, in this forum, that may be of good use.

• Thanks 1

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

V2 of this ROM has been uploaded in the original post.

*No Jack Eichel (yet) - let's see if he actually recovers and plays this season.  If so, he'll be added to a later version.  Alex Tuch, who was part of the VGK/BUF trade that included Eichel, has been added to Buffalo's roster.  He is rumored to return in early 2022.  
*As with prior versions of my ROMs, if an injured player is rumored to return this season, I left them in the game (more fun that way).  In some cases, I left a few in even if they won't return.  Do with them as you will...
*No Evander Kane.  Since he was waived, yesterday, I took him out of the ROM.  There is a chance that he won't play for the Sharks again but, we'll see...
*Updated player and team ratings.
*Updates to some NLC line-ups/headshots.

If you notice any mistakes, please let me know.  Cheers!

Edited by Sauce
  • Thanks 1