NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2022 Rom by Naples39

naples39

UPDATE: Trade deadline update available in this post. The main purpose here was to get all the trade deadline moves applied, and update every team's starting lineup and player ratings to reflect how this season has actually gone. Comments and suggestions are welcome, although I will be unavailable for the next two weeks so fixes will have to wait until then.

Yes, the annual classic is back!

By now you know the drill.

• Up-to-date rosters, uniforms, logos, graphics, player pictures, etc..
  • Hacks: clockwise sprite hack, smoz 3-stars hack, weight bug fix, and speed burst set to 75% of original rom
  • Graphic hacks: faceoff boxes, goalie crease, benches, goal light

Post with any errors you find and I'll do a relatively quick 1.01 update. Enjoy!

VU4rERg.png

lE2YfLW.png

iaQnQ6A.png

kbDHaJk.png

NHL 2022 by naples39.zip

NHL 2022 by naples39 v101.bin

Edited by naples39
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Have you tried the Ditherer program? I think you can get some cleaner results for your splash screen.

https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14421-tool-genesis-image-ditherer-to-16-colours/

(or pre-process the image to brighten up the dark areas at the corners, so you're not wasting the limited colours on a bunch of greys)

Thanks for the comments. I’m out of town this weekend but I’ll make some edits soon.

I’ll also take another crack at some of the graphics. I always use the ditherer for images, but the title screen didn’t turn out great and I’ll start from scratch.  

Regarding the Kraken logo, the source graphic is fine but the same weird corruption thing randomly happened to the Devils logo on some of my old roms. I don’t know why, but I’ll try re-importing.

Maybe I am getting lazy, lol.

Edited by naples39

Here are some I made... Unfortunately the tool I used to resize the picture did a bad job with the COLEMAN name and Price's 33 number. But you could take the colours from these images and use them with Option 2 in ditherer but using your original image.

I also didn't add the shadows around the edge.. if you added those yourself, maybe use blue instead of black/grey and you can get better results.

coleman256-001260-05-atk-squared.pngcoleman256-002074-07-atk-linear.pngcoleman256-001257-03-atk-squared.pngcoleman256-001133-01-fs-squared.png

• Like 1

As always, great rom hack. However, each time I have either Vegas or Winnipeg is selected and it starts scrolling through player snapshots, it freezes. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but it doesn't crash when any other team is selected (that I've seen).

image.png

6 hours ago, ToastyDomain said:

As always, great rom hack. However, each time I have either Vegas or Winnipeg is selected and it starts scrolling through player snapshots, it freezes. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but it doesn't crash when any other team is selected (that I've seen).

image.png

It's a known bug with the 32-team ROM. I think @seamor and I figured out a fix for it year or two ago? I know we tried, I don't remember if we found a solution...

On 10/15/2021 at 1:32 PM, smozoma said:

Here are some I made... Unfortunately the tool I used to resize the picture did a bad job with the COLEMAN name and Price's 33 number. But you could take the colours from these images and use them with Option 2 in ditherer but using your original image.

I also didn't add the shadows around the edge.. if you added those yourself, maybe use blue instead of black/grey and you can get better results.

coleman256-001260-05-atk-squared.pngcoleman256-002074-07-atk-linear.pngcoleman256-001257-03-atk-squared.pngcoleman256-001133-01-fs-squared.png

Yeah, I tried that vignette shadow on recent title graphics but it just looked bad here.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:48 PM, smozoma said:

It's a known bug with the 32-team ROM. I think @seamor and I figured out a fix for it year or two ago? I know we tried, I don't remember if we found a solution...

The solution we landed on (mostly through your genius :)) corrupts the playoff data.

We could turn off player cards for the whole team, but not sure the game would be as fun without them.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I've been learning to mod by reverse engineering your ROM. Sometimes I even play it! :) Thank-you so much for sharing. 

I noticed something… Hex offset 00BB88 is set to 7024, which, if I understand correctly, should increase the speed boost to 112.5% of the original, rather than decrease it to 75%. Am I misunderstanding? And if so, would you be willing to point out where I might be going wrong?

cheers,

-AC

On 11/30/2021 at 3:18 PM, AdamCatalyst said:

Hi there,

I've been learning to mod by reverse engineering your ROM. Sometimes I even play it! :) Thank-you so much for sharing. 

I noticed something… Hex offset 00BB88 is set to 7024, which, if I understand correctly, should increase the speed boost to 112.5% of the original, rather than decrease it to 75%. Am I misunderstanding? And if so, would you be willing to point out where I might be going wrong?

cheers,

-AC

Honestly I haven't messed with this setting in several years. I set it in one of my hacks a long time again and just kept it.  I thought I was setting speed boost to 75%, and it feels that way, but feel free to test and compare with the original rom.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 9:55 PM, naples39 said:

Trade deadline updated rom now available in the first post

Thank you again on behalf of the community. I’ve shared it on the nhl’94 twitter account and in the nhl’94 Facebook group. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2021 at 9:33 AM, kingraph said:

I always enjoy your ROM updates, but I'm surprised about that Seattle logo.  Looks like something got messed up on a few pixels.  That normally doesn't pass the Naples QC check!

FYI I think I might know how you can fix it. This sort of graphical hiccup happens when the palette colour used for transparency and another palette colour used in the bitmap share the exact same colour values definition. Some of Tile Molester’s tools aren’t smart enough to differentiate, and end up substituting all instances of the opaque colour in your graphic for the first palette colour with those same specified colour values (which is transparent). I have seen this issue on virtually every ROM with Seattle, for obvious reason to anyone who has hacked one of these ROMs. Easy solution is to change the colour of your transparent pixels to bright pink or something else that you don't use, so that you do not have two colours in your palette with the exact same colour values. Once you are done making modification to the Seattle logo (or whatever) can you safely change back the transparent colour definition if you like.

Edited by AdamCatalyst
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, there it is! I was just about to ask! I read the line "The rom nobody asked for" on an older rom. I love your edition! Thanks for your work! One question about the Weight Bug fix: Did you also re-vamp checking abilities?