NHL'94 Forums

Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run 30-Team ROM Hacking...

PlazmaCube

I first want to preface by saying I know basically nothing about ROM Hacking, but I do have some tools and I am familiar with the SNES. Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run on SNES is one of my favorite games of all time. If there's one thing that I wish the game had was updated Rosters, as well as all 30 Teams, (Currently it only has 28.) However, nobody has figured out how to add more teams to the team select. The good news is, the missing teams do exist in game, as they are "unlockable" in a sense through a secret mode, but they aren't playable. So, in other words, it would be a sort of "Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run 2022" or something like that.

Along with updating the Team Select Menus, there are also issues such as updating team logos. Since they are fully rendered-3D, It would be difficult to replicate them (I've tried through my own Pixelart strategies.) Although there probably is a way to take a 3D model, and then take pictures of it rotating, then rendering them in 16-bit, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

There also comes to fixing the Playoff Format, since it only contains one Wild Card Team per Conference, it would need to be adjusted to allow 2 Wild Card Teams + An additional Playoff Round.

Additionally, the Schedule would have to be made to allow Interleague games. The base game is created so the regular season only allows you to play against teams withing the same conference as you. An additional bar would have to be made so the schedule can allow the occasional Interleague game as well.

There are many other changes that would have to be made, but if the game got this treatment, that would be sick. I am first curious as to how anyone would get started on this, as well as if anyone themselves has already gotten to work on a project like this/hopes for the same thing as I do.

For thos who are interested, I also have made a Discord dedicated to the Ken Griffey Jr series, where I will additionally be focusing on this type of project. It's kinda dead, but it's not a server that's really meant to be active unless something actually gets made, but anyone is welcome to join.

Anyways, I'm interested in hearing your guys' thoughts. I'm excited to hear what you all have to say. Peace.

Discord: https://discord.gg/5hf8U4qC5k

On 10/26/2021 at 4:15 PM, Bob Kudelski said:

I loved the original Ken Griffey Jr. game on SNES

We didn't get many baseball games in the UK. Madden, NHL, NBA and, obviously, WWF, were all pretty well known and well played in Britain, but most baseball games didn't even get a European release. I've heard Ken Griffey is one of the best...