NHL'94 Forums

Radio Broadcast NHL 94 Games

Auggie

I have a few shows during the week at Notre Dame's student-run radio station at 88.9 in South Bend, IN. Before my Saturday morning show from 9-11 am EST I thought it would be cool to do play-by-play for some NHL 94 league games, especially the playoffs.

Would anyone be interested in waking up early and playing around 8 or 8:30? I would play and call the game as if it were real while letting anyone listening know the true implications of the game (that it's really NHL 94 video game playoffs, etc.). This is not during normal broadcast hours, so it won't interfere with my 9-11 show, though we'd have to be done playing by 9 am EST.

I would record the broadcast on my laptop, so this would be a great way to track the season's top notch games. Also, I can provide the online site with an MP3 of each game recorded for players and fans to hear.

Let me know what you think of this endeavor... especially as the playoffs approach. It would be sweet to get some of the finals recorded. I'm in the SNES B league, so that suits my fancy best. But I'd be willing to watch SNES A playoff games and call those as well.

Thanks,

Auggie

Listen man I don't want you to recieve this in another other way than manly friendship BUT I HAVE LOVE FOR YOU. For whatever reason I thought about recording and commentary on league games through 2 seperate 1 hour lectures today and it's been something I wanted to move towards for sometime. Youtube has made video hosting something magical and it really would be neat to have a record of some of the big games played. From there the possibilties just get better as we could have monthly highlight reels, tips and tutorials etc. I was also thinking about who we might be able to get for the commentary and if you are willing that is just huuge.

The big thing holding it back seems to be the actual game recording as many of us don't have a decent method of it. There has been some talk of a program which converts the zsnes movie files into .avi and I'm going to test it out this afternoon and I'll let you know about the results

I am Central so 7:00-7:30 is sometimes a bit early for me on saturday but if you are still searching for someone by the end of the week itd be worth getting up for :rolleyes:.

Seirously though thankyou for this post and its exactly what I've been hoping for ;)

Listen man I don't want you to recieve this in another other way than manly friendship BUT I HAVE LOVE FOR YOU. For whatever reason I thought about recording and commentary on league games through 2 seperate 1 hour lectures today and it's been something I wanted to move towards for sometime. Youtube has made video hosting something magical and it really would be neat to have a record of some of the big games played. From there the possibilties just get better as we could have monthly highlight reels, tips and tutorials etc. I was also thinking about who we might be able to get for the commentary and if you are willing that is just huuge.

The big thing holding it back seems to be the actual game recording as many of us don't have a decent method of it. There has been some talk of a program which converts the zsnes movie files into .avi and I'm going to test it out this afternoon and I'll let you know about the results

I am Central so 7:00-7:30 is sometimes a bit early for me on saturday but if you are still searching for someone by the end of the week itd be worth getting up for :rolleyes:.

Seirously though thankyou for this post and its exactly what I've been hoping for ;)

oh snap i just went twice in my pants :), boys that would be huge and im def a fan

THat would be sick!!!

I have no idea how it would be pulled off (my internet knowledge is poor), but if it's doable, consider me interested in having one of my games called!

Great initiative! :rolleyes:

God knows if something (i.e. a late night of drinking Friday night lol) will come up in the meantime, but as of right now, I'm up for getting up for 9:30 my time on Saturday for a game. I love this idea of having a game radio broadcast. I still have no idea how someone else would be able to watch a game, but I'll leave that up to those a lot more computer savvy than I. :)

Auggie- after the game, think there'd be any way I could hear what the broadcast sounded like? Is it going to be recorded anywhere and sendable as a file over the computer?

Anyway sounds like fun! Schwartz would be a great opponent for such a game. :)

There is only one problem I can foresee with my plan to broadcast a league game. Any game played on my laptop (just me and the computer) would be safe since it requires no Internet connection. However, the radio tower is not known for its sturdy wireless Internet connectivity (thought almost every other part of ND's campus is great with this). I've gotten reception there once that I can remember, and I've done about ten shows this year.

I'd have to get the Internet connection right in front of the microphone as well, so I'll either have to find a plug somewhere close or hope the wireless is working well that day.

Before too late this week, I'll look into finding a place to plug in. If not, maybe I'll just experiment with a me vs. computer game this Saturday until I can be sure I can get a nice Internet connection.

I'll keep you guys posted. -Aug

The biggest problem I can see is getting the game recorded and sent to Auggie in time, as I can't think of any way the action can be streamed to him other than maybe some sort of webcam? I should be able to record the game, either through a modified version of zsnes that both deer and myself need to download, or possibly just a program called FRAPS. If auggie didnt need any audio I could proly get it out pretty quickly, but if he does it would take just a little bit longer. I'll continue to look into this week and I think we should be able to get something goin

If you pre-recorded the game and sent it to me, I wouldn't need an Internet connection right then and there during the show! What a great idea! I also wouldn't necessitate audio per se... though in the long run I would dub my commentary over the video so the game audio would be nice to have.

But, would I not be able to watch a game? We could connect together and I'd be the "third controller" but keep my controller in the center when you pick teams... would this work as well, so I could call the action live if I do get a connection to the net in the studio?

Becuase we direct connect to eachother zsnes doesnt allow for more than 2 different computers to be joined at a time. If you had 2 guys at one location and 2 at another you could play 2v2 but having 3 seperate connections isnt supported :). I belive there are some other snes emulators that do this and we could take a look at them for games that we want commentary on. I'll check it out and let you know I proimse :)

Schwartz, if you and Deer can play and record that game in the next day or two and not let me know the results, I'll get in touch with you so I can download that video by Saturday morning. That way 1) I won't need to connect to the net for the game and 2) I don't have to watch it live.

See what you guys can do. If it's easier to forget the audio for now, then go ahead, but I'd like it recorded too if you can.

Auggie

Auggie this is far too late to be of any help but I think that things are going to be a bit too rushed to have a game done for you for tomorrow. Sorry to let you down like that man but like a rare pokemon in the wild I have captured the ability to properly record games and I'm sure it won't be long until we can start the commentary. I apologize again but talk to you soon!

The radio gig might be out, schwartz. It's extremely hard to follow the action of something so fast-paced as NHL 94 when you cant see the action. I can't do commentary for radio. But video the commentary sounds and looks great, from my playing with it. Whenever you can, just send me a video file of a game, and I'll make it into a TV-style broadcast.

Auggie

THANDFASHFASTHANKYOU MAN. I'm just putting the finishing bit on a highlight reel of a game between myself and BsDaemon today and I can forward you the link once its done. If you'd have the time to make a little sportsdesk/tv broadcast of it I would bow to you man.

Guest BSDaemon

what better a game to put in a highlight reel then a game that went to OT!

Unfortunately Buffalo was unable to complete the comeback, scoring 3 goals late in the 3rd, but losing in OT :)