NHL'94 Forums

NHL 97 Palette issues

So, NHLInfo tells me this in regards to viewing NHL 97 faces with the correct:

save FACES\FACEPAL.FSH\!PAL to file with F-key to current directory
   (Palette file's name can be for example NHL97FACE.PAL). SHIFT+P
   and P should again view correct palette

...which I did. However, this error pops up when I follow these steps, because there ALWAYS seems to be some sort of error when it comes to this kind of stuff. Did I do anything wrong?

Screenshot_November_16_2021_08_54_17_AM.png

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

You may not have to do all these steps but I dusted off nhlinfo after about 20 years and this is how I got palettes working:

- make sure your palette file and .fsh file are in same folder as nhlinfo

- open nhlinfo after you do this

- before you go into the fsh file hit shift+p and set . to palette folder

- now go into fsh folder, you should be able to cycle through available palettes. The image itself won’t update with the new palette, you have to save while the palette is enable to see it correctly

i was able to extract the rink from NHL95 with proper palette this way

Edited by bcrt2000

7 minutes ago, Jlsegafan2001 said:

Well, to obtain the palette, I’d have to go into facepal.fsh

You should be able to save the palette? Save it as a .pal file. Just in case I would restart NHLINFO after that in case it doesn't recognize the palette file in real-time and needs to be restarted.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 2:13 AM, Jlsegafan2001 said:

Since I don't have any video to go off of, I don't know what to do, as I am a visual learner.

Also, this image shows us the very reason I created this thread in the first place- the cyberfaces are not supposed to look like this.

hockey_000.png

1. copy faces.viv into your NHLInfo folder

2. open faces.viv in NHLInfo

image.png

3. go to bottom of list and open facepal.fsh

image.png

4. hit S on !pal to save face palette. Name the file face.pal (.pal is important so NHLInfo automatically picks it up)

image.png

5. Use backspace key a few times until you are back to the NHLInfo folder

image.png

6. Press Shift+P to open palette folder selection dialog, Type in . as folder ( . means current directory)

image.png

7. Go to a face in Faces.viv. Press P until you see it select face.pal in the top status bar in NHLInfo. Don't expect the face to have the correct palette in NHLINFO, it won't. But the png file you export will.

image.png

8. Now that correct palette is selected, press S to save file with correct palette. Name the file and hit OK.

image.png

9. Now you should have a png file in your NHLINFO folder which has the face with the correct palette

image.png

I haven't tried importing a face in, but I imagine you'd need to Match the existing palette since all the faces use a universal palette.

Edited by bcrt2000

5 minutes ago, bcrt2000 said:

1. copy faces.viv into your NHLInfo folder

2. open faces.viv in NHLInfo

image.png

3. go to bottom of list and open facepal.fsh

image.png

4. hit S on !pal to save face palette. Name the file face.pal (.pal is important so NHLInfo automatically picks it up)

image.png

5. Use backspace key a few times until you are back to the NHLInfo folder

image.png

6. Press Shift+P to open palette folder selection dialog, Type in . as folder ( . means current directory)

image.png

7. Go to a face in Faces.viv. Press P until you see it select face.pal in the top status bar in NHLInfo. At this point the face will still not have its correct palette.

image.png

8. Now that correct palette is selected, press S to save file with correct palette. Name the file and hit OK.

image.png

9. Now you should have a face with the correct palette

image.png

I haven't tried importing a face in, but I imagine you'd need to Match the existing palette since all the faces use a universal palette.

That's pretty neat. Unfortunately, the palette type did not show up.

Screenshot_February_12_2023_08_53_44_PM.png

Just now, bcrt2000 said:

You might want to try doing the steps on a faces.viv that you haven't tried importing into already?

That's exactly what I'm doing. The one you saw in the screenshot has been overwritten. I even tried with the one from the game disc.

Well-- I showed you the steps I'm using. Not sure how much more I can help here. But it works fine for me. There's some difference here between what I'm doing and what you're doing. Just curious, what version of windows are you running? Are you trying to run this under some sort of emulation or linux wrapper perhaps?

23 hours ago, bcrt2000 said:

Well-- I showed you the steps I'm using. Not sure how much more I can help here. But it works fine for me. There's some difference here between what I'm doing and what you're doing. Just curious, what version of windows are you running? Are you trying to run this under some sort of emulation or linux wrapper perhaps?

I decided to try using the EA Graphics Editor to make a cyberface, and I am GLAD THAT I DID!

hockey_019.png

Edited by Jlsegafan2001
Found a solution to my problem.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, mil84 said:

Any idea how to make a new cyberface for NHL 2002? I played around with EA editor but I can't make it work. I tried to edit some random player photo, and it caused app crash.

Do you mind creating a new thread for this?