NHL'94 Forums

My Halloween Costume

Verbeek

hey, now that halloween is over, i thought i'd add a little update.

first off, i'm glad everyone enjoyed my costume, i know i did. i'll get to the reactions from strangers in a moment.

mack asked earlier how it was made, and the process was pretty simple, if a little labour intensive. actually, i have to give my roommate props, because he did pretty much all the work. basically, it involved scanning the original nhl 94 cover art (genesis, of course) at as high a resolution as possible, blowing it up in photoshop, and printing it out on a buch of 8.5 by 11 sheets. we then just taped them all to a big box which was assembled before hand and cut out the head hole. voila!

there was some debate over the addition of arm holes, but we decided against it. the original 94 box didn't have arm holes, so neither do does the costume. the downside of this is hours of drinking through a straw, and the inability to fend off rowdies (but i'm not programmed to fight, so i guess that makes sense).

okay, so i hit the street with the thing on saturday night. my first observation was that it was incredibly warm. classic video game boxes are the new winter coats. within seconds i was getting stares and comments from strangers, some of which were pretty funny (stuff like "it's in the game", and "i wasted my childhood playing you"). we headed to a pretty big halloween party and the positive feedback was consistent throughout the night. it was good to see how many people still have love for the great 94. i am also proud to report that the costume held up through a night of partying pretty darn well. despite bumping around a crowded party all night in a super-cumbersome box, the thing is none the worse for wear. this means i can still suit up anytime i want!

now for the bad news, what's the deal with people who think that 93, or even 92, are better than 94? i had a running discussion all night with 3 or 4 dudes who swore by the earlier incaranations. i tried to show them all the great new features on my back cover, but they kept going on about my lack of fighting. maybe these people haven't played the games in a while, and they just remember being dissapointed by the removal of fighting when they were kids, but i don't understand how a rational person could prefer anything over 94. so that put a bit of a damper on the festivities, but otherwise i was happy with everything.

i guess that's about it, if anyone else is interested in making their own nhl 94 costume, let me know. i could offer more instruction, or even email you the high res scan of the cover, assuming my roommate still has it. later.

Dude, that costume was awesome!

You're only downfall was getting wrapped into conversations with guys about what year is the best. We all know 94 is the shiznit. You needed to spend more time figuring out how the girl dressed as the dirty cop was going to be able to handcuff you to the bed with no armholes cut in your costume. ;-)

Let me say again, you did an amazing job with the outfit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest cr0ssbar94
now for the bad news, what's the deal with people who think that 93, or even 92, are better than 94? i had a running discussion all night with 3 or 4 dudes who swore by the earlier incaranations. i tried to show them all the great new features on my back cover, but they kept going on about my lack of fighting. maybe these people haven't played the games in a while, and they just remember being dissapointed by the removal of fighting when they were kids, but i don't understand how a rational person could prefer anything over 94. so that put a bit of a damper on the festivities, but otherwise i was happy with everything.

Well to each their own, but 93 is better than 94 in my opinion. Taking fighting out was pretty big to me, as it is a big part of hockey. I did not care for the new features in 94 either. one timers make scoring too bland and monotonous, and the goalie control frankly stinks on the genesis. The gameplay of 93 is also much better than 94 (the way the puck bounces is much more fun). And if you're going to go by which game has the most features, NHL 98 is technically "the best" but we all know that's not the case.

But hey, thanks for the idea. I'm going to make an NHLPA 93 box and crash your party next year. I'm gonna kick your ass! :P

Guest cr0ssbar94
there was some debate over the addition of arm holes, but we decided against it. the original 94 box didn't have arm holes, so neither do does the costume.

The original 94 box also didn't have legs, or a head sticking out on top. You should have added armholes! That would have made the costume KILLER and REALLY funny! Plus, as you pointed out, it'd make drinking easier.