NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94: 2022 Edition by Adam Catalyst

AdamCatalyst

@Bobr9988 The fix for Prosvetov has been posted. Thank-you for catching that for me! I am going to leave Melnichuk out of the game for now, as I am only keeping three goalies per team, based on minutes played this season. Melnichuk might still get added in if he can pass Lagace for minutes played by the end of season.

Hey Adam! I've noticed something with the Kraken jerseys, mostly the away jerseys. The first picture is how they look in game, and the second picture is how I think they should look. What do you think? Are you able to make those changes? 

1.png

2.png

Edited by Jpark

Hi @Jpark!

I will be doing a final review of uniform colours as I re-do the on-ice logos (as the two are forced to share the exact same colour palette), and will test your suggestion with Seattle when I get to doing their end of season review. That being said, the uniform colours were set to look accurate in motion, not necessarily in still, and if I recall correctly, the red stripe stood out way too much when I tested it previously, as this colour is barely visible at all while the players play in real life. That being said, I will take another look, and I will give your suggestion another look for the final version.

cheers,

-a

I understand where you're coming from when you mentioned the colors are set to look accurate in motion. The red stripe may stand out too much like you said. It is barely visible with players in real life. Maybe for the away jersey, the stripe in the middle should be the same color as the home jersey is. I think it already is? And the stripe on the legs should also be the same color as well vs it being white. I think Seattle is the only team where their away jersey has white on their collar, which is how it is in real life. I thought the shade of the blue from the home jersey might look good with it being on the collar of the away jersey, but I think it looks good either way. The home jersey honestly looks good at is it. I think the away jersey could use some more blue on the stripes on the sleeves and legs, and the stripe on the pants. The collar looks fine either way if it was white or blue. 

I appreciate you giving my suggestion another look. I can tell you put a lot of love and care into this rom, especially with the trade deadline version. Thank you so much for all that you've done with this rom and it's current revision. 

Cheers!

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Jpark said:

I understand where you're coming from when you mentioned the colors are set to look accurate in motion. The red stripe may stand out too much like you said. It is barely visible with players in real life. Maybe for the away jersey, the stripe in the middle should be the same color as the home jersey is. I think it already is? And the stripe on the legs should also be the same color as well vs it being white. I think Seattle is the only team where their away jersey has white on their collar, which is how it is in real life. I thought the shade of the blue from the home jersey might look good with it being on the collar of the away jersey, but I think it looks good either way. The home jersey honestly looks good at is it. I think the away jersey could use some more blue on the stripes on the sleeves and legs, and the stripe on the pants. The collar looks fine either way if it was white or blue. 

I appreciate you giving my suggestion another look. I can tell you put a lot of love and care into this rom, especially with the trade deadline version. Thank you so much for all that you've done with this rom and it's current revision. 

Cheers!

Thanks for your kind words. :) I promise when I get to my final Seattle tweek, and I will review everything you wrote here.

14 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Thanks for your kind words. :) I promise when I get to my final Seattle tweek, and I will review everything you wrote here.

No problem! And I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure when you get to Seattle, you'll do what looks best and do what is most accurate. The more I look at the jerseys, but more I see that the only thing that may "need" to be added is just a deep sea blue stripe in-between the ice blue of the away jerseys. But, you can change it to what you think looks the most accurate when you get to it. I just want to make sure it's accurate, but I can tell you're trying to be as accurate as possible with jersey colors, ratings, pictures, and many other things in your list. I'm sure what you decide on will look the best. Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

Quick update… Been making huge progress lately. Currently beta testing…

- composite sticks for everyone, giving the game a more modern look.

- revised face-off sticks and shadows and linesman graphics.

- slightly revised goalie masks.

- revised scorekeepers graphics.

- new and improved center ice logos.

- refined puck sprite and shadows.

…and a myriad of other minor sprite tweaks & fixes.

Meanwhile, gameplay refinements for checking and penalties, are at an alpha stage. I’ll wrap up graphic work soon, and spend the rest of my time on gameplay, and seeing if I can quash any more bugs.

I won’t have any more time to work on this project after April, so I’m trying to pour as much as I can into this potentially final version.

cheers,

-Adam

• Love 1

On 4/1/2022 at 4:18 AM, Jpark said:

No problem! And I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure when you get to Seattle, you'll do what looks best and do what is most accurate. The more I look at the jerseys, but more I see that the only thing that may "need" to be added is just a deep sea blue stripe in-between the ice blue of the away jerseys. But, you can change it to what you think looks the most accurate when you get to it. I just want to make sure it's accurate, but I can tell you're trying to be as accurate as possible with jersey colors, ratings, pictures, and many other things in your list. I'm sure what you decide on will look the best. Keep up the good work!

OK @Jpark , it's Seattle review time!

I've attached a bunch of images from version 4.1 and a beta of version 4.2, where I tried messing with the Seattle colours as you suggested. As you know, the blue shoulders are, well, wrong. But that being said, I feel like, in play, the blue shoulders end up balancing out the uniform to give a closer impression to the real deal, despite being technically less correct. I could really go either way on this. You are the Seattle fan, let me know which you think give a more authentic sense in motion. PM me if you want me to send you the Beta so you can play with it yourself.

cheers,

-a

p.s. look closely, and you can also see the new face-off animation frames, composite sticks, and more.

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.1 - 2022 03 29 2022-04-11 22.31.18 2.png

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.2 - 2022 04 11h 2022-04-11 23.35.30.png

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.1 - 2022 03 29 2022-04-11 22.31.28.png

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.2 - 2022 04 11h 2022-04-11 23.35.40 2.png

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.1 - 2022 03 29 2022-04-11 22.31.30.png

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.2 - 2022 04 11h 2022-04-11 23.35.42 2.png

Edited by AdamCatalyst
Images were bloated in file size.

15 hours ago, George said:

Wow, this is amazing work. Thanks for this. But, can you replace Ron Barr like the other hacks?

Thanks @George! I hope you'll come back for the big update coming out after the end of the season. As for Ron Barr, I decided to leave him as-is. No matter who I choose for him, it will be out of region for some users. Heck, I can't even figure out which single broadcaster I would put there!

If you want to replace Mr. Barr yourself, it's not an insurmountable amount of work. 

I have no idea about ASM or hex editing. I would suggest simply the most popular broadcaster. Even modern sports games the commentators aren't going to be regional for most people. But it's no big deal, anyways, your rom is looking to be on another level! And yes I will update the rom with the latest version. Oh, a question. Is it possible at all to have season mode in NHL 94 like in NHL 95? Maybe somehow port the season mode ASM from 95 to 94. I guess that requires a lot of knowledge and work.

4 hours ago, George said:

I have no idea about ASM or hex editing. I would suggest simply the most popular broadcaster. Even modern sports games the commentators aren't going to be regional for most people. But it's no big deal, anyways, your rom is looking to be on another level! And yes I will update the rom with the latest version. Oh, a question. Is it possible at all to have season mode in NHL 94 like in NHL 95? Maybe somehow port the season mode ASM from 95 to 94. I guess that requires a lot of knowledge and work.

Season mode: technically possible of course, but  don't think we have people with the experience/skill to do it unless they had like a year of full-time work to dedicate to it. Part of the problem is that the game engine was rewritten in 95 (after being basically the same for 92-94) so nothing would "copy/paste" between the games and work. We haven't even added fighting from 93 into 94, and that's the same game engine.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, George said:

That particular sprite can be changed with nothing more than Tile Molester, a piece of free Windows software. If you want to give it a try, I'll even send you the resource file that will give you a bookmark and colour palette entry for that image so you can play around with it. But be forewarned, that's how all this madness started for me, just wanting to change one single image. :)

On 4/11/2022 at 8:52 PM, AdamCatalyst said:

OK @Jpark , it's Seattle review time!

I've attached a bunch of images from version 4.1 and a beta of version 4.2, where I tried messing with the Seattle colours as you suggested. As you know, the blue shoulders are, well, wrong. But that being said, I feel like, in play, the blue shoulders end up balancing out the uniform to give a closer impression to the real deal, despite being technically less correct. I could really go either way on this. You are the Seattle fan, let me know which you think give a more authentic sense in motion. PM me if you want me to send you the Beta so you can play with it yourself.

cheers,

-a

p.s. look closely, and you can also see the new face-off animation frames, composite sticks, and more.

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.1 - 2022 03 29 2022-04-11 22.31.18 2.png

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.2 - 2022 04 11h 2022-04-11 23.35.30.png

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.1 - 2022 03 29 2022-04-11 22.31.28.png

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.2 - 2022 04 11h 2022-04-11 23.35.40 2.png

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.1 - 2022 03 29 2022-04-11 22.31.30.png

NHL 94 [h] 2022 AC v4.2 - 2022 04 11h 2022-04-11 23.35.42 2.png

Hey @AdamCatalyst, sorry for the late response. It's been a bit busy and stressful for me lately. 

"As you know, the blue shoulders are, well, wrong. But that being said, I feel like, in play, the blue shoulders end up balancing out the uniform to give a closer impression to the real deal, despite being technically less correct."  - I completely agree! Although it's "wrong" and everything, I think it looks good! It looks good in motion too. I've noticed the new face-off animation frames and composite sticks as well and it's looking great. I'm not sure if you could have the colors look any better than they do now with the 4.2 revision. I appreciate it again that you gave my suggestion another look. I think in terms of how the jersey colors are laid out for NHL 94, that's as accurate as I think it'll get. Great job!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jpark said:

Hey @AdamCatalyst, sorry for the late response. It's been a bit busy and stressful for me lately. 

"As you know, the blue shoulders are, well, wrong. But that being said, I feel like, in play, the blue shoulders end up balancing out the uniform to give a closer impression to the real deal, despite being technically less correct."  - I completely agree! Although it's "wrong" and everything, I think it looks good! It looks good in motion too. I've noticed the new face-off animation frames and composite sticks as well and it's looking great. I'm not sure if you could have the colors look any better than they do now with the 4.2 revision. I appreciate it again that you gave my suggestion another look. I think in terms of how the jersey colors are laid out for NHL 94, that's as accurate as I think it'll get. Great job!

Thanks man, I appreciate it, along with the constructive suggestions. Good call sir! I'm sorry to hear things have been stressful lately, I hope life is treating you fairly.

Random update: I have been sick with the virus, and it has knocked me off my feet for over a week. While I have been able to get some more sprite work done, progress has mostly stalled, and I am concerned that I don't have the mental acuity to do end of season rating & lineup work with my foggy COVID brain right now. I'm not sure what to do, as I don't want to delay this release, nor do I want to release something that is sub-par. As always, if anyone wants to step in to do some beta testing, it can help me save a bit of time. All you need to do is send me a PM to express interest, and I will send you pre-release builds as they are ready. You in turn just send me any feedback. That's it, not exactly rocket science.

I hope everyone is keeping well. Seems to be a lot of folks sick right now in my neck of the woods. All the best to you and yours.

My first post here, but just wanted to say awesome job so far and hopefully you feel better. I sent you a PM expressing interest to become a beta tester if needed. Honestly, all modders here deserve an applause, just in case I don't get around to the other threads/posts on this forum...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Beta for version 5 (actually 4.9) has been sent to testers. I hope to release it to everyone in a day or two. Thank-you everyone for your patience. An even more immense amount of work has gone into this one, and I think it makes it just that little bit more an enjoyable experience. Looking forward to hearing what you think!

On 12/27/2021 at 3:24 AM, brianski71 said:

As someone who notices small visual details, though, I do wonder one thing.  I am a huge Penguins fan.  And one thing that puzzles me is why all three of you guys have the Pens wearing different styles of jerseys home and away.  The NHL 94 Genesis template doesn't do the current Pens jerseys any favors, and it's impossible to recreate them perfectly.  But I wonder why all three of you have the white jerseys having gold shoulders and the black jerseys not having gold shoulders, rather just a thin gold outline.  Since the actual jerseys are essentially the same with just the black and white flipped, I'm curious why the same (either way) isn't done for both home and away on the ROMs.  Not criticizing...just wondering!

FYI, after some further experiments, I did finally figure out how to make the Pens jerseys work better, IMHO. I am pretty sure that you will like it better too! :) It is done, just still a little more beta testing before I release it, most likely tomorrow.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:40 AM, The Dopefish said:

This might be a question that is pretty easy to those who are in the know, but: the Sharks' teal can be made on the jerseys, but not on the banner? What gives?

Hi there!

I figured out a solution fro v5. Not a perfect one, but it's better no IMHO. Should be out tonight, take a look and let me know.

OK, version 5.0 finally posted. The amount of refinements are… well, its a lot. I've got a full break-down with images coming in tomorrow, but for now I just wanted to get this ROM up and out there. It's been an epic trip.

Started playing tonight and I love how you've redone the on ice logos of every team. They all look great. A glitch that I've found so far, is once you select your teams and you get past the overall ratings of the teams and you get to the versus screen (pause menu), the colors of some teams are messed up. I noticed it first with Seattle, and they seem to have it the worst, but I went through every team and found that Colorado, Columbus, Minnesota, Florida, San Jose, Nashville, Washington, Winnipeg and Seattle have this issue. 

111.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jpark said:

Started playing tonight and I love how you've redone the on ice logos of every team. They all look great. A glitch that I've found so far, is once you select your teams and you get past the overall ratings of the teams and you get to the versus screen (pause menu), the colors of some teams are messed up. I noticed it first with Seattle, and they seem to have it the worst, but I went through every team and found that Colorado, Columbus, Minnesota, Florida, San Jose, Nashville, Washington, Winnipeg and Seattle have this issue. 

111.jpg

Thank-you so much for your kind words (and your help!!!

Please let me explain about the banners… The banners on the main menu screen each have their own custom 15 colour palette shared only with that teams corresponding logo, which works quite well. However, the banners on the playoffs screen and on the scoreboard in game all share one single 15 colour palette… with the audience in the arena!!! And some of those colours (the browns and light reds) are useless!!! So basically, you need to colour every teams banner with the same red, orange, yellow, green, a slightly darker green, blue, a slightly darker blue, , medium gray, dark gray, black, and… that’s about it.

In the past I had complaints that I had coloured San Jose in blue, just ROMs by Sauce, Naples, etc. For v5 I went back to the original NHL ‘94, and realized that they handled San Jose differently back then, by “dithering” colours. This was a common practice back in the day on the Sega MD/Genesis, where two different coloured pixels are used in a pattern to optically blend to a third colour.  Of course, the effect isn’t perfect, but after trying it for every single team, I found that for about 6-8 teams the effect looked more accurate to me than the solid colors one is stuff with. 

I really appreciate you noticing that level of detail, and reporting back to me! If it was a mistake, I totally would have wanted to fix this ASAP! But it was actually intentional for better or for worse. :)

Edited by AdamCatalyst
Typos

6 hours ago, George said:

Honestly Jpark, that is such a minor thing.

Adam, I hope you make this an annual thing. Amazing job.

Thank-you so much! It makes me so happy to hear that people are enjoying this. :)

33 minutes ago, seamor said:

Just tried this out again yesterday before the Battle of Florida. Awesome work.

Thanks man! That really means a lot to me.

I hope the Battle of Florida works out the way you want. I can’t make up my mind with the battle of Alberta, but I suppose I want to watch as much McDavid as I can…

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Thank-you so much for your kind words (and your help!!!

Please let me explain about the banners… The banners on the main menu screen each have their own custom 15 colour palette shared only with that teams corresponding logo, which works quite well. However, the banners on the playoffs screen and on the scoreboard in game all share one single 15 colour palette… with the audience in the arena!!! And some of those colours (the browns and light reds) are useless!!! So basically, you need to colour every teams banner with the same red, orange, yellow, green, a slightly darker green, blue, a slightly darker blue, , medium gray, dark gray, black, and… that’s about it.

In the past I had complaints that I had coloured San Jose in blue, just ROMs by Sauce, Naples, etc. For v5 I went back to the original NHL ‘94, and realized that they handled San Jose differently back then, by “dithering” colours. This was a common practice back in the day on the Sega MD/Genesis, where two different coloured pixels are used in a pattern to optically blend to a third colour.  Of course, the effect isn’t perfect, but after trying it for every single team, I found that for about 6-8 teams the effect looked more accurate to me than the solid colors one is stuff with. 

I really appreciate you noticing that level of detail, and reporting back to me! If it was a mistake, I totally would have wanted to fix this ASAP! But it was actually intentional for better or for worse. :)

Ohh! Gotcha! Thanks for explaining everything! Wasn't sure if it was a glitch or not, I see now. Keep doing what you're doing :)

• Like 1