NHL'94 Forums

RetroArch 1.10 update

chaos

Starting with playoffs in the leagues coming up (as of 2/14/22), I would like everyone to start using the RA 1.10 package. This can be downloaded from the nhl94online.com front page as of today.

To update, download the package, then set your name in Settings-User, restart RA. Copy over your ROMs folder from 1.8.8 to the RA 1.10 folder, and choose "Replace" if asked. 

DO NOT copy over your retroarch.cfg file from 1.8.8! There are a lot of changes made between config files from 1.8.8 and 1.10.

Improvements

• Controllers - 1.10 should have less fussing with controller binds. It should recognize more controllers out of the box, without the need to manually configure. There were bugs in 1.8.8 for some of the controller config stuff.
  • Relay Server - The relay server is back, for those of you who can't host, or if there is framerate drops when you host. The relay server code is re-built from the ground up, and I believe (?) should be a smoother experience than it was in the past. Also, we have the ability to set up a custom relay server, which we can use for the 94 community only. This will be looked at in the future.
  • Netplay Room List Cleanup - Rooms that are not joinable will be removed from the list, so it should be easier to find the person you are looking to connect to
  • Netplay Code Revamped - I'm not guaranteeing that you will have a better experience, but a lot of things have been streamlined when it comes to netplay. For example, the host's latency settings will be used for the game (before you had to make sure the host and the person joining had the same settings).
  • Some changes I made - RA will now open in fullscreen by default. I removed some of the menu categories to make it less confusing. 
  • Tons of bug fixes; it's been 2 years since we updated!
  • Switched to the 64-bit version on Windows - We had been using the 32-bit version since we started 4 years ago using RA. Which limits the amount of RAM that can be used to 4GB. At this point, everyone should have a 64-bit CPU, if your PC was made in the last 10 years. 

New Features

Host Settings

Host window.PNG

There's a few new settings when it comes to hosting.

"Max Simultaneous Connections" - limits how many people can connect to you. I have this default to 2 right now (2 people can connect, like a person playing and a streamer). Change this when you want more people to connect to you (like for 2v2, set it to 3). This only affects when you are hosting.

"Ping Limiter" - Now when someone connects to your host, it will display their ping on connection. This value will limit that ping (it's in ms). So if it is set to 200, and someone tries connecting to you that has a ping of 240, it won't let them connect. I changed this value to 250 in the final config file. You can change this whenever you wish. It only affects when you are hosting.

"Use Relay Server" - Turn this on when you have problems hosting a game. This will use the relay server to set up the host. 

Ping Display

ping.PNG

For those of you who are clients (you are connecting to a host), you will see your ping to the host in the bottom right corner of the RA window. This gives you a decent idea on how well the network connection is. The host will only see the ping during the moment the client connects to them, in a notification window.

Chat 

chat.PNG

RA has finally added an in-game chat. To chat with your opponent, or whoever is connected to you, hit the Tab key on your keyboard. This will open up the on-screen keyboard window (like when you enter a netplay password). You can type using your keyboard (or if you wish to click on the on-screen keyboard with a mouse), hit Enter, and the message will show in the bottom left of the screen. It will fade away after a little bit. This is more useful than you would think; instead of having to chat in Discord, you can use the in-game chat now.

• Thanks 5

On 2/14/2022 at 1:34 PM, chaos said:

Chat 

chat.PNG

RA has finally added an in-game chat. To chat with your opponent, or whoever is connected to you, hit the Tab key on your keyboard. This will open up the on-screen keyboard window (like when you enter a netplay password). You can type using your keyboard (or if you wish to click on the on-screen keyboard with a mouse), hit Enter, and the message will show in the bottom left of the screen. It will fade away after a little bit. This is more useful than you would think; instead of having to chat in Discord, you can use the in-game chat now.

Awesome, is this text-only for now or is there a way to enable speech?

• 6 months later...

On Windows, for many people, the audio doesn't work "out of the box". You need to download and run this directx installer:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

(backup link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rejsecxjd079dp7/directx_Jun2010_redist.exe?dl=0)

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 9:00 PM, smozoma said:

On Windows, for many people, the audio doesn't work "out of the box". You need to download and run this directx installer:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

(backup link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rejsecxjd079dp7/directx_Jun2010_redist.exe?dl=0)

The offline installer is included in the RetroArch package on nhl94online.com

14 hours ago, chaos said:

The offline installer is included in the RetroArch package on nhl94online.com

Oh I thought that no longer worked? It's been updated with the new/correct one?

The guy I was helping seemed to say it didn't work for him, but there may have been general not-used-to-using-windows issues...

5 hours ago, smozoma said:

Oh I thought that no longer worked? It's been updated with the new/correct one?

The guy I was helping seemed to say it didn't work for him, but there may have been general not-used-to-using-windows issues...

No, I'm wrong, it's just the web installer. I believe I linked the offline in the pinned messages in help channel on Discord. I will have to add that to the package. Though it is 100MB...