NHL'94 Forums

NHL96 Playoff Edition

von Ozbourne

After spending a lengthy amount of slow progress on some bigger projects, [plus you know, that whole "being a responsible adult" thing] it was nice to take a break and bang out an Adam Savage style "One Day Build" [in that it actually took two days]. Figured now that it's done, I might as well share it.

Thanks to @Deckard for the suggestion on this one, been a while since I did anything with NHL96 and it was fun to revisit it.

The premise: Take NHL96 and give it an NHL97 roster update. Effectively making it closer to season end rosters. Fix art as applicable.
Which makes this,
image.png

Not a lot of changes, but the most obvious is, out goes Quebec, in goes Colorado.
[sorry to see you go, but it is more historically accurate this way]
image.png  image.png

All the other logos were mainly borrowed from '97 for consistency, although there are a few other fixes that, in theory, shouldn't haven't needed fixing...
image.png  image.png
It's a little thing.
Not so little on the other hand...
image.png  image.png

Now, two caveats:
1. Due to how the team positions are hard coded, to avoid a giant compounding mess, Colorado simply adopts Quebec's old place in the North East Division.
2. Due to NHL97 having more memory space allocated to rosters than NHL96, I've had to cut one or two players per team to get in under the free bytes limit.
 Luckily there is no pre-game preamble anymore [something I would not say under any other circumstance], so I could delete the arena names and free up some extra bytes to avoid having to cut even more players.
 Thanks to @Deckard again for making the tough choices.

UPDATE:
Switching to Version 1.1 to eliminate the odd "Bruins" inconsistency.

image.pngNHL 96 ~ Playoff Edition V1.1.bin

image.pngNHL 96 ~ Playoff Wide Edition v1.2.bin

Edited by von Ozbourne
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I appreciate this but would it be possible to get an addendum where the team select text for Boston says Boston instead of Bruins? I know it's a little thing but the inconsistency bugs me.

bruins.png

• Love 1

9 hours ago, DeterminedApathy said:

I appreciate this but would it be possible to get an addendum where the team select text for Boston says Boston instead of Bruins? I know it's a little thing but the inconsistency bugs me.

Sunuva.... You know, I'd forgotten all about that. And that's the kind of thing that really bugs me too.

V1.1 will probably be incoming sometime tomorrow.

On 3/12/2023 at 2:16 PM, Deckard said:

Great!! Now this mod gets even better!

Thanks for pointing out the 1.2 patch.

Glad to say that fixed some of the widescreen display issues. Updated the original post.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:17 PM, jmastert said:

Hope all is well old friend,

i was wondering if you had any college or nba rom hacks..

also what have you been working on.. or suggest !

have a good night 

-JT

On 3/12/2023 at 3:18 PM, von Ozbourne said:

Reminded of this mod so added a Widescreen Edition to the original post.

image.png       image.png

How did you get the mod to work on this. Can we do it to 95. I saw the post that it's possible. 

16 minutes ago, UltraMagnus said:

How did you get the mod to work on this. Can we do it to 95. I saw the post that it's possible. 

The '96-'98 based mods use the original ROMs so there isn't that glitching that was a problem with the expanded memory.

Although I just tested on the 34-Team '95 mod and found out that the patch works. This could be interesting.

Unfortunately as of the time of this post, the '94 wide mode patch still does not work on the expanded ROMs.

Edited by von Ozbourne

37 minutes ago, von Ozbourne said:

Thanks for pointing out the 1.2 patch.

Glad to say that fixed some of the widescreen display issues. Updated the original post.

Fantastic!