NHL'94 Forums

NHL Hockey 94 - Hyper Edition...

wboy

Here's a little trick using Gens to fool the NHL94 & 93 roms to run at the PAL fps speed on a NTSC based console, making it run 17% faster.

Before loading your ROM, select CPU > Country > Europe (PAL) from the Gens menu bar. By default, this is usually set to "Auto detect"

Load your ROM, and once you see any on screen graphics (e.g. EA sports logo), select CPU > Country > USA (NTSC).

As the ROM only checks the region of the console at the very start when loading, you've now tricked the ROM to run the less cycles used to make the PAL version operate as quick as the NTSC version. Changing Gens to then act as a NTSC console allows you to effectively boost the in game speed, giving you hyper speed hockey.

If you want to "hear" the speed difference, don't change Gens to NTSC until the intro screen music has started.

Now I have been researching how I can permanently hack this into the ROM. I already know where it stores the value in the cpu's memory for these two games, I'm just not experienced enough yet in 68k Assembler to hack this change back into the ROM for those of you who would want to make use of it in online play etc.

Let me know if you like this speed-up... I personally do as I have always found NHL94 a tad too slow... the more interest, the more I may be inspired to find the hack required. :huh:

I can also tell you how to hack a save state to run PAL on NTSC (saving you doing this trick everytime) if anyone's interested.

Here's a little trick using Gens to fool the NHL94 & 93 roms to run at the PAL fps speed on a NTSC based console, making it run 17% faster.

Before loading your ROM, select CPU > Country > Europe (PAL) from the Gens menu bar. By default, this is usually set to "Auto detect"

Load your ROM, and once you see any on screen graphics (e.g. EA sports logo), select CPU > Country > USA (NTSC).

As the ROM only checks the region of the console at the very start when loading, you've now tricked the ROM to run the less cycles used to make the PAL version operate as quick as the NTSC version. Changing Gens to then act as a NTSC console allows you to effectively boost the in game speed, giving you hyper speed hockey.

If you want to "hear" the speed difference, don't change Gens to NTSC until the intro screen music has started.

Now I have been researching how I can permanently hack this into the ROM. I already know where it stores the value in the cpu's memory for these two games, I'm just not experienced enough yet in 68k Assembler to hack this change back into the ROM for those of you who would want to make use of it in online play etc.

Let me know if you like this speed-up... I personally do as I have always found NHL94 a tad too slow... the more interest, the more I may be inspired to find the hack required. :huh:

I can also tell you how to hack a save state to run PAL on NTSC (saving you doing this trick everytime) if anyone's interested.

I would be interested in a sped up game hack.

• 3 weeks later...
Umm, if you want a faster game just increase the overall speed ratings for all the players. No need to go through all that nonsense. :rolleyes:

Here are even more basic instructions for yourself so you can actually experience the difference, and see how *wrong* you are.

Before opening a NHLPA 93 or NHL 94 sega genesis rom within the Gens emulator, set the "CPU" > "Country" > setting to "Europe (PAL)", and set the "Graphic" > "Frame Skip" setting to "0" instead of the default "Auto".

This achieves the same result. I found this out shortly after I made my original post. How nice of you to show interest in this thread giving me a valid reason to explain it to you. I gather everyone here happily managed with the first set of instructions and realised it not only achieves a much faster game, but that it also maintains the gameplay of the original or hacked roms.

At the rate you are releasing your 93 ROM hacks, I ensure you this will be lot faster to do as opposed to your suggested and flawed method, even with all your uber hex editor skills.

I suppose it's "faster" to do it your way, but somewhat of an annoyance to have to keep repeating the same process over and over again. If you really want a faster game just edit the ratings. It'll take longer, but you only have to do it one time.

And poo poo on you, when I release my hacked games they will only be available to a select few. Your name was just crossed off the list. So Sorry! :rolleyes:

I suppose it's "faster" to do it your way, but somewhat of an annoyance to have to keep repeating the same process over and over again. If you really want a faster game just edit the ratings. It'll take longer, but you only have to do it one time.

And poo poo on you, when I release my hacked games they will only be available to a select few. Your name was just crossed off the list. So Sorry! :rolleyes:

Up the ratings of your players... then do this trick, and your game will be faster yet again... try it out when you get your new PC.

I have more of an interest in finding new hacks as opposed to playing anyones roster hacks... so do as you wish... it's no skin of my NOSE...

A terrible loss. You surely have won the day with this vorpal stroke.

My technique for speeding up the game: Horse tranquilizers.

Up the ratings of your players... then do this trick, and your game will be faster yet again... try it out when you get your new PC.

I have more of an interest in finding new hacks as opposed to playing anyones roster hacks... so do as you wish... it's no skin of my NOSE...

LOL @ NOSE...2 years of waiting and you cant even edit graphics? What a waste of a wait. May as well rename it "ARMPIT".

And whats the point of "making the game even faster"??? At that point, it'd be so fast, you may as well plant your frame skip to 0 or 1. I thought the idea was to just speed the game up a little bit, but not at a ridiculous pace. As I said the best way to do that is to just adjust the ratings. Your comments make no sense, I guess I win...again.

Will you admit I was right...again?

So Sorry!

:rolleyes:

LOL @ NOSE...2 years of waiting and you cant even edit graphics? What a waste of a wait. May as well rename it "ARMPIT".

And whats the point of "making the game even faster"??? At that point, it'd be so fast, you may as well plant your frame skip to 0 or 1. I thought the idea was to just speed the game up a little bit, but not at a ridiculous pace. As I said the best way to do that is to just adjust the ratings. Your comments make no sense, I guess I win...again.

Will you admit I was right...again?

So Sorry!

:rolleyes:

Wow. What a Christmas eve post. Rehashing a thread to take another cheap shot at someone. Cyber, you have reconfirmed that you are the king of class on these boards.

Wow. What a Christmas eve post. Rehashing a thread to take another cheap shot at someone. Cyber, you have reconfirmed that you are the king of class on these boards.

King of class? You're making me BLUSH! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I call 'em as I see 'em, 365 days of the year. And I'm doing all of you a favor by giving an HONEST review of NOSE. If we all keep brown nosing, and saying how "wonderful" this is, when it's not, the dude won't do anything to improve it because he'll start to believe his own hype. It's ALREADY happening, notice how rude he is to people? His ego is already inflated. If more people followed my lead he'd spend less time on here feeling like a King, and more time working on his editor. It needs it. For starters it should have some type of graphics editor. RIght now I give NOSE 2 out of 10 stars. Improvements must be made to consider this a real editor.

An idiom for the idiot... see here ...

Oh, and for the record... the *public* release of NOSE only took one year. You couldn't even achieve a simple roster and palette hack in that time.

Go do something useful for this site/forums... leave!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Game Genie/Pro Action Replay/Patch codes updated to reflect new hack find (refer next post).

NHLPA Hockey '93 (UE) (REV01) [!]

Master Code

GG = RH7T-R60E

PAR = 07FBC4:4E71

Hyper Speed

GG = HVWA-BAMG

PAR = 006466:303C

NHL 94 (UE) [!]

Master Code

GG = RH7A-861A

PAR = 0FFAE0:4E71

Hyper Speed

GG = HV5A-BAR0

PAR = 0076D6:303C

NHL 95 (UE) [!]

Master Code

GG = RF3B-Y61A

PAR = 1A72E0:4E71

Hyper Speed

GG = HTDA-BARG

PAR = 0006C6:303C

NHL 96 (UE) [!]

Master Code

GG = RGJB-66ZE

PAR = 1E90A4:4E71

Hyper Speed

GG = HVDA-DAML

PAR = 01466A:303C

NHL 97 (UE) [!]

Master Code

GG = REWV-66V6

PAR = 1E253C:4E71

Hyper Speed

GG = HWFT-DAMT

PAR = 018B70:303C

NHL 98 (U) [c][!]

Master Code

GG = N/A

PAR = N/A

Hyper Speed

GG = HWHT-DALR

PAR = 018F4E:303C

Use the PAR codes if you use Kega Fusion, as it doesn't seem to translate the GG code correctly.

Edited by wboy

• 3 weeks later...

At the offset(s) listed below, change the bytes 0240 to 303C to permanently apply the Hyper Speed hack to the ROM.

Hex 00006466 - NHLPA Hockey '93 (UE) (REV01) [!]

Hex 000076D6 - NHL 94 (UE) [!]

Hex 000006C6 - NHL 95 (UE) [!]

Hex 0001466A - NHL 96 (UE) [!]

Hex 00018B70 - NHL 97 (UE) [!]

Hex 00018F4E - NHL 98 (U) [c][!]

This basic ASM hack simply forces the game to believe its running a PAL system, thus making the game run faster when played on a NTSC system/emulation mode. Running the game in EUR/PAL mode plays the game at the "Normal" speed.

In a techinal ASM sense, I'm not sure if its the best/correct method, but it produces the expected result with the minimal amount a change.

This hack is not possible on EA Hockey (NHL91), NHL Hockey (NHL92) and the first release of NHLPA Hockey '93 (REV 00) as they do not contain the code that dynamically adjusts the game speed/frames difference between NTSC and PAL systems.

Anyone keen on making NHL94 Jam/Open Ice (3v3 [2P 1G], Hyper, No Rules, Weak goalies)... Just a thought :D

Oh, and I'd appreciate if any one with a game genie/tototek could test this hack on real hardware to see if it works/suffer slowdown/sync issues/whatever...

Anyone keen on making NHL94 Jam/Open Ice (3v3 [2P 1G], Hyper, No Rules, Weak goalies)... Just a thought ;)

Oh, and I'd appreciate if any one with a game genie/tototek could test this hack on real hardware to see if it works/suffer slowdown/sync issues/whatever...

Yea sure I wouldn't mind makeing that