NHL'94 Forums

Seeing Double

Sedge

So here's a weird thing I discovered today. In the vanilla Genesis ROM for 95, there's a playoff draw where Dallas is seeded twice. In one bracket they face Calgary and in another they face San Jose. It's the third draw (offset 5854) if you want to see for yourself.

I haven't verified this on an actual cartridge yet since it's kinda hard to actually land on it. Dallas is in 29 of the 32 draws, and 10 of those are against either Calgary or San Jose without being the double entry. It took some luck just getting it with savestates.

When I did finally land on it (VS San Jose on the menu), the playoff tree had both entries blink but still put me against my listed opponent. While it's hypothetically possible to reach a mirror match later, it's pretty unlikely since the two Dallases (Dallii?) are at opposite ends of the tree and would both have to make it to the conference final.

Losing ends the playoffs like normal. Also, I checked the rest of the Genesis games out of curiosity and this is apparently the only one with an error like that.