NHL'94 Forums

Do you use your manual goalie?

halifax

Just curious if there are any league players(Both SNES and GENS) who prefer not to use their manual goalie to try and make saves and rely on the auto goalie to make the save instead.

I know that if I got a little better with manual I'd definitely be getting more out of it. Its great to play against people who are actually pretty good at it. I'm decent at scoring goals, but my d and tending tends to leave something to be desired.

yeah, manual goalie is a must. im ok at it, except when my stupid toronto defenders leave all 3 forwards open, then its a guessing game and i get burnt.

Yeah. There is a base level of Goalie Control that you just have to have to be competitive. It doesn't take that long to get there, though, especially if you play the guys in this league and watch what they do.

Once you hit that base level of proficiency, the rest I think comes down to how good of a poker player you are, and the guys who are the best at GC (a group which does not include me) are the best at anticipating what YOU'RE going to anticipate that they're going to do and then adjusting to that. (Sometimes you can foil a scoring attempt by NOT taking control of your goalie, if your opponent assumes you're going to make the most predictable maneuver.)

To achieve this level of mastery, I suggest you all study this text on Goalie Control decision-making.

Like the other guys in this thread said, you have to learn to manual FOR SURE, against the better players, the automatic goalie doesn't stand a chance............ I know a few guys who would eat the automatic goalie alive for at least 10-12 goals a game.

Like angryjay said though, it doesn't take as long as you might think to get used to it, even if you suck at it now. The sooner you start practicing with the manual goalie the better, because you can't legitimately contend at all in these leagues with an automatic goalie.

Like angryjay said though, it doesn't take as long as you might think to get used to it, even if you suck at it now.

I'm think it was me that said that. angryjay has gone on record as supporting the Intelligent Design theory of Manual Goalie Control, claiming that it is not up to you or me to question God's will regarding who has been granted M.G.C. skills or not.

Wise men have asked "What good is half a wing? What good is half an eye?" Well, riddle me this... what good is taking control of your goalie and then sucking worse than the auto goalie? Practice, improvement, hogwash. It is all a grand plan that no one here can ever hope to understand.