NHL'94 Forums

league formats

halifax

I can understand the fun of keeping the realism of these leagues by having teams play more against your own division and less against the other conference like the NHL does of course...ultimately however I dont believe this makes for a fair league. It doesn't make sense (as an example) in the GENS A that some guys have to play Kgman 3 or 4 times and others only play him once or twice.

To have a fair league....everyone should play everyone twice...one home game and one away game....have the top sixteen make the playoffs (1 vs 16, 2 vs 15...and so on.....each round there after..highest remaining seed plays lowest remaing seed and so on.)

Again..don't get me wrong...there's nothing bad about the current leagues cause some people like that league that format. But is it the fairest way? What do you think?

Going with the 20 team setup that we do have, 2 games against everyone would work out pretty nice with a total of 38 games. It is almost more fair this way as everyone would be on a level playing field as you said.

Having said that division/conference schedule setups make for better playoff races i think. Just like in RL there will always be more skilled teams out there, but knowing that you and your opponent are racing for a final spot and still have a 3 game series left can work magic on yer motivation and playing.

I for one enjoy the realism of playing the teams in your division/conference more often and developing rivalries, while playing someone from the other conference is more of a rare treat.

This would be an interesting issue to get a vote on.

It is clear there would be a more level playing field if you have only 2 games per every team. It certainly would be easy to schedule, and everyone should be able to get the 2 games in one sitting (possibly avoiding guys not getting games in / pinpointing coaches that need to be replaced.)

The obvious drawback like the deer said is the rivalries would be gone, and the race for the playoffs would be a little less intense.

As it currently stands.... with the # of teams that get into the playoffs, there really isn't a race for that.

I would favor changing the schedule into 2 games per every team. Are there any other scheduling ideas guys have?

Of course rivalries are important....but I dont believe they are built through the regular season.(maybe when im in a league ill think different). I think they are built through playoffs series,a lot of exhibition games, or regional locations(like the sydney guys whove played against each other for several years).

Im guessing the coach of boston(SNES A) doesnt feel like theres much of a rivalry playing quebec(the deer) after being outscored 20 to 5 in 3 games so far.

On the reverse side, the94kid lost in the finals in the spring league to JotaC(where a possible rivalry could exist)...but the schedule only has them playing each other once this season.

Everything will be different from one season to the next...guys will drop out, switch conferences,more players will sign up and more leagues will evolve. These things will take time for sure(building rivalries) but in the meantime I think an even schedule makes more sense.

As for the push for the playoffs being less intense, it wont make a difference either way because theres still 20 teams gunning for 16 spots(and since 80% of the teams get in..is there really much of a playoff race?)

My opinion on the issue involves lengthening the season. Because the games are so short, the season almost ends before things get really intense. I believe that the more games we play under the league schedule, the more alluring and magnetic the league becomes.

Having said that, I would like to lengthen the season by 16 games to 56 total. This would allow for two options:

1) 4 games against teams from your conference and 2 against the other conference OR

2) 3 games against all teams -- which actually adds up to 57 games but accomodates for those who want fairness in schedule.

I absolutely believe if the season was lengthened everyone would end up enjoying it more, because lets face it, there are a TON of new people coming to this site (including myself) who are jacked up to play some NHL94 and would love a lengthened season. I can just envision there being 4 GENS leagues that all proceed through the playoffs and eventually we could have a champions cup tourney....ok I'm getting ahead of myself, but damn, this is so cool. We just need to lengthen the season!

kinglakerfan said:
My opinion on the issue involves lengthening the season. Because the games are so short, the season almost ends before things get really intense. I believe that the more games we play under the league schedule, the more alluring and magnetic the league becomes.

Having said that, I would like to lengthen the season by 16 games to 56 total. This would allow for two options:

1) 4 games against teams from your conference and 2 against the other conference OR

2) 3 games against all teams -- which actually adds up to 57 games but accomodates for those who want fairness in schedule.

I absolutely believe if the season was lengthened everyone would end up enjoying it more, because lets face it, there are a TON of new people coming to this site (including myself) who are jacked up to play some NHL94 and would love a lengthened season. I can just envision there being 4 GENS leagues that all proceed through the playoffs and eventually we could have a champions cup tourney....ok I'm getting ahead of myself, but damn, this is so cool. We just need to lengthen the season!

Deleted

Edited by Flames4LifeFLA

Having said that, I would like to lengthen the season by 16 games to 56 total.

1) 4 games against teams from your conference and 2 against the other conference

Kinglakerfan - I'm stoked as well for playing in the spring league.

I think extending the league to 56 games onto the schedule makes sense.. Although more time may be needed to finish a league but with committed players, two months is more then enough time considering some guys are playing 15-20 games in a day.

And the idea of playing 4 against your own conference and two against the other conference still allows for rivaliries to develop but still keep a sense of fairness cause you will always play an equal amount of home games and away game vs everyone.

This would work for the GENS assuming everybody was on board for it however currently the SNES A and B leagues are having a tough time getting everyone to play (less then 50% games played with only a couple days left before the deadline). So I guess its important to determine if there are 20 guys that will play all their games regardless of how good they are for next season.

I think what needs to be done is make sure everybody in the 'a' leagues on both sides are commited to playing a full schedule. Layoffs longer than 2 weeks without notice why should result in having your coach replaced and anybody who can't play more than 75% (i think it should be more) of their games is disqualified from playoff contention. That will build not only better rivalries, but will solve the attendance problems. I think something like this should also be used in other divison but maybe have a shorter more casual season in length

I think what needs to be done is make sure everybody in the 'a' leagues on both sides are commited to playing a full schedule. Layoffs longer than 2 weeks without notice why should result in having your coach replaced and anybody who can't play more than 75% (i think it should be more) of their games is disqualified from playoff contention. That will build not only better rivalries, but will solve the attendance problems. I think something like this should also be used in other divison but maybe have a shorter more casual season in length

Hey,

Ironically these type of changes are what we're going to be looking at for next season. Your points are right on to what issues came up this time around.

There a lot of ideas flying around here, some that i agree with, while others i dont.

I like the idea of a longer season, i think the longer season will allow people more time to recover from a poor start to the saeson, also there is more of a chance to learn opponents before going into the playoffs.

As for something i dont agree with, is the scheduling of having a team play every team in the league the same amount of times. I think teams in the same conference should be playing each other more often so that conference games have added importance to them. Also since teams in the same conference will be playing each other in the playoffs, i think its neccessary to have those extra games so that rivalries can be built and that opponents can learn mroe about each other for more competitive games.

Also, less teams should make the playoffs. I know ive already bounced this idea around to not a warm reception, but with all the new people around here maybe they will like the idea. Only 6 teams would make the playoffs, every division winner would get a first round bye and the bottom 4 teams would play a first round of playoffs. After that the two winners in the first round will play the division winners in the confernce semifinals. It still keeps a 4 round playoff format and provides more berths for teams then just 4 a conference would. I think these extra two playoff berths would give people more of an incentive to play out the season, because it can be tough to make a late season run after a bad start when there are only 4 spots in the playoffs to be had.

Also another thing, with all these new people, i dont know how many are serious gamers. So what could be done if there are 4 gens leagues, is that we can have two competitive leagues and two fun leagues. That way we can have the competitive with more games and then people can be promoted or relegated at the end of the saeson. In the fun leagues, less games can be played and league identification is less of a problem since its a fun competititon. Based on how many serious gamers there are, there can be fliexibility in how many serious leagues there are vs. how many fun leagues there are for the more casual player.

20 team league

4 divisions

2 games vs everyone in the other divisions (2x15=30 games)

3 games vs everyone else in your division (3x4=12 games)

total: 42 games

I'm ok with 16 teams in the playoffs.

I think it's good to get a lot of the guys in the playoffs, so people aren't eliminated really early (like I would have been)

Just put some hard time limit on each round of the playoffs so they don't drag on