NHL'94 Forums

Calculating overall rating

Red

Has anyone worked on the formula the game uses to calculate each player's overall rating? I've messed around with it a little bit & it seems that each individual attribute point (not counting weight, handedness & the zero value) seems contribute roughly 1 2/3 of an overall point, but it seems that some attributes are weighted more than others. Has anyone else done any work on this?

Has anyone worked on the formula the game uses to calculate each player's overall rating? I've messed around with it a little bit & it seems that each individual attribute point (not counting weight, handedness & the zero value) seems contribute roughly 1 2/3 of an overall point, but it seems that some attributes are weighted more than others. Has anyone else done any work on this?

I briefly looked into and posted about what I found here: http://www.nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=176

It seemed to me to be pretty easy to compute as an aggregate of their ratings, minus a few categories which didn't seem to be taken into consideration for the overall (endurance, roughness, and aggression).

Also in that thread wboy said he is including the computation in the next version of NOSE, so I'm sure he has it precisely figured out.

It seemed to me to be pretty easy to compute as an aggregate of their ratings, minus a few categories which didn't seem to be taken into consideration for the overall (endurance, roughness, and aggression).

That's not true. All categories and player attributes are taken into consideration for the overall rating. But it seems that some attributes affect more that others. For example Off. awareness and Def. awaraness.

That's not true. All categories and player attributes are taken into consideration for the overall rating. But it seems that some attributes affect more that others. For example Off. awareness and Def. awaraness.

No, actually you are wrong and naples39 is mostly right, though I somewhat disagree with him sayings its "pretty easy" to calculate!

The 8th "Handedness/Fighting", 12th "Roughness"(?) and 14th "Aggression" attribute values have no impact on the player’s overall rating.

I'll prove it all when I find the time to make a long winded post that explains a good portion of EA's "methods of madness" overall rating system. Its actually partly flawed in extreme/rare cases.

No, actually you are wrong and naples39 is mostly right, though I somewhat disagree with him sayings its "pretty easy" to calculate!

The 8th "Handedness/Fighting", 12th "Roughness"(?) and 14th "Aggression" attribute values have no impact on the player’s overall rating.

I'll prove it all when I find the time to make a long winded post that explains a good portion of EA's "methods of madness" overall rating system. Its actually partly flawed in extreme/rare cases.

No, I'm not wrong. Yeah, it's true that attributes like "Handedness/Fighting and Roughness have no impact on the overall rating. That's because they are not real attributes. Handedness/Fightning just shows is player righty or lefty in NHL94. In NHL93 it might be attribute. And Roughness is not even displayed in the game, so I'm not counting it to player attributes.

When I'm saying player attributes, I mean: Agility, Speed, Off. Awareness, Def. Awareness, Shot Power, Checking, Stick Handling, Shooting Accuracy, Endurance ja Aggressiviness. All these attributes have impact on the player's overall rating in NHL94. So Aggressiviness affects to player's overall rating! I can prove that too: Take some player who have aggressiviness 6. For example Sean Avery in NHL2006a. Change his aggressiviness to 0. It will affect to his overall rating!

And I'm with you that it's definitely not easy to calculate player's overall rating.

Going by your original statement, why wouldn't I say you are wrong? Even though you have now explained yourself a little better, I can assure you aggression also has no impact on the overall rating. Wait for my long winded post and it'll prove it to you.

Jerry....Jerry.... :lol:

lol...

these forums need a little bit of conflict to create some excitement... well, outside of the usual newbies boasting about their 1337 gaming abilities... which happens all too often here.

all long as it doesn't get to jerry style fisty cuffs or nudity, then its all good and healthy...

:lol:

Just some quick news to inform you that I've actually worked out the entire overall rating formula (for players & goalies). I'll post some detailed notes in the next day or so.

The formula is still flawed IMO, but the real question is have I changed my opinion on the "Aggression" attribute affecting the player's overall rating? :lol:

Evan's Hypothetical Point Question #05: So who is initially right, naples39 (& wboy), or Mahavishnu?

Jerry.... Jerry.... :lol:

Rather than make an *extremely* long winded post on the formula used, I’ve decided to post an Excel spreadsheet that actively shows the calculation of the Overall Rating in NHL94 & 95.

In short, the trick in reverse engineering how it works was to use NHL95’s Trade Player facility as it does not randomly(?) alter the Overall Rating. A team of equally attributed players will all have the same overall rating. By using this, calculating the multiplying factor for each attribute was made a considerably easier, or should I say logical.

That said, it did take me a short while to figure out the Bonus Points methods used (select the appropriate cells in excel to see the formulas used). Also, working out that the goalie’s individual attribute sums (with the 2.25 multiplying factors) must also be rounded down to the nearest .5 value also had me stumped for a little while.

I’ve tested it enough to ensure myself it is same calculation method used in-game. The random adjustments to the rating you can expect to see in-game for NHL94 & 95 are explained within the spreadsheet along with a few other notes.

As for Aggression, well, it’s still not used! Sorry Mahavisha, but you got fooled by the dreaded random in-game overall rating system. Congrats to EA for making the game look more complex rating wise that it really is! :lol:

So how is EA’s formula flawed? Well in two ways. Firstly, hex values greater than 6 are still multiplied at their hex value. Put in a few Hex F’s (15) and watch the Overall Rating sky rocket to 99+. Secondly, the bonus point system can also create flawed overall ratings. Give a player mostly 6’s, and leave their endurance and passing at 0, and they’ll still be rated 99+.

It could be sometime until I get the overall rating column in NOSE (haven’t done any development on it for over a month now) so make do with the spreadsheet for now. I still plan to allow for a mathematical average/percentage for those who want it, as I don't like the rating system used in-game.

Note, this formula *may* also work for NHL96-98, but I believe the default rating is 40 as opposed to 25.

S9495ORF.zip

• Love 1

• 2 years later...

I couldn't download wboy's file from this thread, so he kindly sent the file by email. I'll post wboy's formulas for nhl94&95 here for whoever need 'em :

for PLAYERS, use the rom's rating value (0-6 or 0x0-0xF) :

total = (agility) + (speed * 1.5) + (offensive * 1.5) + (defensive) + (shot_power * 0.5) + (checking) + (stick_handling_value * 1.5) + (shot_accuracy) + (endurance * 0.5) + (pass * 0.5)

base = 25

sum = total + base

def_total = total - base

if def_total

bonus = 0

else

bonus = def_total

x = rounddown(sum + bonus)

if x > 99

overall_player = 99

else

overall_player = x

NHL95 NOTE: for stick_handling, use this table to find the needed value :

sth => sth_value

0 => 0

1 => 1

2 => 1

3 => 2

4 => 2

5 => 2

6 => 3

7 => 3

8 => 3

9 => 4

a => 4

b => 4

c => 5

d => 5

e => 5

f => 6

FOR GOALIES:

total = ((agility * 2.25) - (0.25 * (agility % 2))) +

((defensive * 2.25) - (0.25 * (defensive % 2)))+

((puck_ctl * 2.25) - (0.25 * (defensive % 2)))+

((stick_r * 0.5) +

((stick_l * 0.5) +

((glove_r * 0.5) +

((glove_l * 0.5)

( "%" is the modulo operator)

base = 25

sum = total + base

def_total = total - base

if def_total

bonus = 0

else

bonus = def_total

x = rounddown(sum + bonus)

if x > 99

overall_goalie = 99

else

overall_goalie = x

thanks to wboy for figuring this!

(I hope I haven't scew up the formulas because wboy's formulas in the excel file are accurate)

• 5 months later...

I found this way a bit easier to understand (adapted from magoo's post):

FOR PLAYERS:

total = (agility * 2) + (speed * 3) + (offensive * 3) + (defensive * 2) + (shot_power * 1) 
   + (checking * 2) + (stick_handling_value * 3) + (shot_accuracy * 2) + (endurance * 1) + (pass * 1)

if total < 50
   x = 25 + total/2
else
   x = total

x = round_down(x)

if x > 99 
   overall_player = 99
else 
   overall_player = x

sth => sth_value
0 => 0
1 => 1
2 => 1
3 => 2
4 => 2
5 => 2
6 => 3
7 => 3
8 => 3
9 => 4
a => 4
b => 4
c => 5
d => 5
e => 5
f => 6

FOR GOALIES:

total = round_down(agility * 4.5) 
   + round_down(defensive * 4.5)
   + round_down(puck_ctl * 4.5)
   + (stick_r * 1) + (stick_l * 1) + (glove_r * 1) + (glove_l * 1)

if total < 50
   x = 25 + total/2
else 
   x = total

x = rounddown(x)

if x > 99 
   overall_goalie = 99
else 
   overall_goalie = x

I found this way a bit easier to understand (adapted from magoo's post):
FOR PLAYERS:

total = (agility) + (speed * 1.5) + (offensive * 1.5) + (defensive) + (shot_power * 0.5) 
+ (checking) + (stick_handling_value * 1.5) + (shot_accuracy) + (endurance * 0.5) + (pass * 0.5)

if total < 25
x = 25 + total
else
x = 2*total

x = rounddown(x)

if x > 99 
overall_player = 99
else 
overall_player = x

sth => sth_value
0 => 0
1 => 1
2 => 1
3 => 2
4 => 2
5 => 2
6 => 3
7 => 3
8 => 3
9 => 4
a => 4
b => 4
c => 5
d => 5
e => 5
f => 6

FOR GOALIES:

total = ((agility * 2.25) - (0.25 * (agility % 2))) 
+ ((defensive * 2.25) - (0.25 * (defensive % 2)))
+ ((puck_ctl * 2.25) - (0.25 * (puck_ctl % 2)))
+ ((stick_r * 0.5) + ((stick_l * 0.5) + ((glove_r * 0.5) + ((glove_l * 0.5)

( "%" is the modulo/remainder operator)

if total < 25 
x = total + 25
else 
x = 2*total

x = rounddown(x)

if x > 99 
overall_goalie = 99
else 
overall_goalie = x

ok thats crazy!!! you figured this out wow

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I could have sworn aggression (reputation) had a effect on the overalls. until rereading this thread, I was entirely sure that a higher aggression lead to a higher overall. might it be a SNES-only thing?

Edited by trudatman

I could definitely be wrong about snes

a way to figure it out would be to set all the players on a team to the same ratings (say all 75) and find the average rating, then increment say speed for all of them to 85, then find the average again and the difference in average should be pretty close to the value of that attribute.