NHL'94 Forums

Hacking Project - Add Back Blood In '94 (Work In Progress)

kingraph

I have been thinking about this for a while and decided I should at least start this hack and post on the forums for documentation/progress.

My initial thought process is as follows:

• I assume the blood animation is a separate graphic and not an entirely new set of sprites (CONFIRMED)
  • Find the blood animation tiles in NHLPA'93 (DONE, most likely)
  • Trace and reverse engineer the code on a blood injury in '93 (current phase)
  • Bring those elements into '94

I think the first two bullets I will confirm and get done rather quickly, but the hard work will be understanding and isolating the code in '93.  My starting assumption will be that when an injury for game is triggered, the blood animation sequence is called and overlayed by the sprites head.  Who knows if that's right.  

I'll continue to post updates here as I work on this project.

• Wow 1

13 hours ago, kingraph said:
  • I assume the blood animation is a separate graphic and not an entirely new set of sprites (to be confirmed)
  • Find the blood animation tiles in NHLPA'93 (I think I have this already...shares the crowd palette)

As I suspected, the blood is a separate tile sequence that is on top of the sprite.  I found a few blood tiles and changed them to 1,2,3.  I think this will be helpful once I can identify which tile numbers they are in reference to the sprites.  The trace will be easier to identify (I think). 

Original

regular_4x.gif

Tiles Altered

full tiles_4x.gif

Another Example (I've since found the first tiles)

home_blood.gif

I've gotten about 19 tiles so far...I have to see all the blood animations.  I think there are two more from fighting...left and right.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...