NHL'94 Forums

Team names dont fit

Okay so I am trying to make a MSHL (minnesota state high school leauge) hockey version from editing the origional rom. I am using NOSE, and when I try to edit the team name, like, for instance: if I try to substatute "Armstrong" for "Atlanta" it will only let me type "Armstron". I know it can be done, because It has teams like Hammilton with really long names in the AHL hack. So that leads me to my next question: Is there a way I can start from scratch by createing a new .bin, or do I have to edit the original rom?

Yes, there is a way. If you have any leftover characters in the player names, you can take them out of there and add them to the team name, but you have to make sure you change the hex code before the name starts to reflect the corrected number of characters in the name.

If you are not familiar with how to do this, then the following tutorial will help you:

http://www.nhl94.com/html/editing/edit_bin_player_info.asp

In NOSE, you can move the extra bytes (spaces) from team to team, giving you more spaces where you need them. There's a button to move free bytes up or down.

In NOSE, you can move the extra bytes (spaces) from team to team, giving you more spaces where you need them. There's a button to move free bytes up or down.

You can add the bytes in the ROM menu at the top, however, applying both hacks will double the size of the ROM.