NHL'94 Forums

SNES A- Quebec 5 Chicago 4 OT

The Deer

Have to go back to writeups for this one, what a game.

Let me start out by saying that Mike very well could be the best defensive player in this league.

I had been playing opponents with weaker records for a long time, and was used to basically cruising in and scoring easily. Was not prepared for Mike at all, and nothing I did in almost the entire first two periods worked. I had to redesign my attack, as my "tried and true" moves weren't good enough to beat his defence.

I found myself behind 4-1 in the second period, and then called a time out. Shortly thereafter, Mats Sundin scored late in the period to make it 4-2, and then in an extremely intense third period, Sundin scored twice more to tie things at 4-4 and send it to overtime.

The overtime was very tight-checking and careful, and it really looked like we were going to see a rare tie game. However, things would end in a very anticlimactic fashion. Ed Belfour went to play the puck at the side of his net, accidentally passed in the wrong direction, and Owen Nolan was there to rip it into the empty cage. After a game where one almost had to be two steps ahead of his opponent to score a goal, it was too bad that the game had to end on a garbage goal like that. But I had to take it, I hadn't come all the way back from a 4-1 deficit just to take the knee on a chance to win it. I've given up a few goals this year myself that exact same way, so I guess that goes to show that those type of things more or less cancel each other out in the end.

Excellent game Mike, and may you go deep into the playoffs.

Well said Deer. I don't know where the hell he came from as he was off my radar a bit, but MIke is an excellent player and caught me by complete suprise. Definately hoping for another meeting with this guy in the playoffs.

Ya, what a horrible way to end it. Belfour is still blaming Larmer for not being on the boards.

That game deserves a highlight reel for sure. Sundin had some amazingly clutch goals. Kind of like the real Sundin. Go Leafs Go! :lol:

GL in the playoffs Deer. Hit me up for some tune ups before you play if you want.