NHL'94 Forums

Lamest Thing Ever

Tickenest

We have a new winner in the Lamest Thing Ever competition.

I was playing over at NHLGamer and my guy shot the puck at the keeper. The keeper saved but gave up a rebound and was out of position. Another player of mine swooped in and grabbed the loose puck. He was heading straight for goal carrying the puck, and nobody got in his way.

HE DISLODGED THE NET BEFORE HE SCORED

I don't have a picture because frankly, there's no need.

We have a new winner in the Lamest Thing Ever competition.
I dunno about calling this the Lamest Thing Ever?

This scenario has for sure happened to me over 10 times since I have been playing over the course of more than a decade.

What about when your goalie makes the save and the forward just keeps charging into him until the puck slips into the net and the goalie is knocked way out of the way? That happens every couple games?

Or, although rare, on occassion the opposition accidentally passes it from their side of the ice and the puck slowly skirts along the ice towards your goalie who inexplicable lets it slide right under him? A pass-goal from the other side of center?

Or when your own players in a mad defensive scramble push your goalie out of the way, leaving a yawning cage wide open for an easy goal?

Or when your goalie inexplicably bobbles a soft wrist shot, where the puck is in and out of his possession 10 times in 2 seconds and then gets by him and into the net?

Or -- I am pretty sure I saw this a long time ago -- when a shot "plonks" off the goal post, and then is suspsended there for over a second, just floating in the air without moving, and THEN takes flight again into the net? Like the computer needs to think for over a second, should I move the puck this way or that way?

These are all Lamest Things Ever, but somehow make the game cooler, in my opinion.

aqualizard (a.k.a. blueapricot416)

I dunno about calling this the Lamest Thing Ever?

This scenario has for sure happened to me over 10 times since I have been playing over the course of more than a decade.

What about when your goalie makes the save and the forward just keeps charging into him until the puck slips into the net and the goalie is knocked way out of the way? That happens every couple games?

Or, although rare, on occassion the opposition accidentally passes it from their side of the ice and the puck slowly skirts along the ice towards your goalie who inexplicable lets it slide right under him? A pass-goal from the other side of center?

Or when your own players in a mad defensive scramble push your goalie out of the way, leaving a yawning cage wide open for an easy goal?

Or when your goalie inexplicably bobbles a soft wrist shot, where the puck is in and out of his possession 10 times in 2 seconds and then gets by him and into the net?

Or -- I am pretty sure I saw this a long time ago -- when a shot "plonks" off the goal post, and then is suspsended there for over a second, just floating in the air without moving, and THEN takes flight again into the net? Like the computer needs to think for over a second, should I move the puck this way or that way?

These are all Lamest Things Ever, but somehow make the game cooler, in my opinion.

aqualizard (a.k.a. blueapricot416)

You mean you've had a guy carry the puck into the net and he dislodges the net before the puck scores? I'd never even come close to something like that happening in over 10 years of playing.

And I'm not crying about it as much as I'm just stating how astounded I am that it actually happened, and the fact that it happened so quickly just adds to the shock.

I stand by my previous designation of the title, however.

Yeah...that dislodging scenario has happened to me about 10 times also.

Kudos to the puck suspended in the air thing. I love that. Sometimes it hangs on the crossbar sort of "twirling" as if it was on a string.

There are three really cheepo things I like to do to my opponents sometimes:

1) If my goalie is at the bottom of the rink, and there is a face-off in my zone on the left-hand side, I will sometimes pull my goalie just prior to the puck being dropped. If it works right...your goalie will skate to the bench and push the opponent's center out of the face-off circle.

2) I have recently done some experimenting with scoring behind my opponent's goalie. I will swing around the boards and sort of slingshot myself behind the goalie. If you are on your forehand...you can sometimes press "A" to flip the puck over the net and in off the back of the goalie’s head. If that doesn't work, and the puck ends up in front of the net, you can make a play on it with your player when he comes out from behind the net.

3) If you are playing with offsides...there is a way that you can get away with being offside in some situations. If you pass the puck up the ice to a player that ends up being in the offensive zone...you can decide to make a one-timer out of it. If you one-time it...the computer doesn't consider that "possession". If you don't score...you must get out of the zone...but if you DO score...it can be a great demoralizer to your opponent.

cheers

Sheehy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nhl92fan

Yup I gotta agree with everyone else, that dislodging thing has happened to me many times as well.

To me the lamest things in the game are when you get 'picked' by your own defensemen, or when trying to pass to someone the player instead decides itd be better to pass to the guy right behind the net, thus the 'pass' ends up on goal for a score, for the other team.