NHL'94 Forums

GENS A Vancouver vs. Toronto - Video recording and commentary inside

Setar

Pretty neat. What are you using to record these?

The audio is a problem, though -- the game sound really drowns out the commentary. Maybe you could record the commentary separately later (just into a .wav file) and then mix them in VirtualDub (an AVI editor).

Pretty neat. What are you using to record these?

The audio is a problem, though -- the game sound really drowns out the commentary. Maybe you could record the commentary separately later (just into a .wav file) and then mix them in VirtualDub (an AVI editor).

Camtasia Studio to record, VirtualDub to compress.

I've been looking for something in Gens to turn down the sound, but no go so far...might just have to disable it entirely. I'm trying to speak over it though, I raise my voice a bit in game four when the game sounds come on.

Wow, that was a piece of crap! Your commentary sounds like the teacher in those Charlie Brown shows.

Show a good game not crap moron. I like to see game 7 not game 4 4-2 stupid

Thanks for realizing that at fifteen I can drive out to Radio Shack and get a microphone instead of having to use my headphones.</sarcasm>

I've been looking for something in Gens to turn down the sound, but no go so far...might just have to disable it entirely. I'm trying to speak over it though, I raise my voice a bit in game four when the game sounds come on.

I think disabling it makes a lot of sense. We are all so familiar with the game sounds that we'll probably mentally be hearing them in our head as the game is being played anyway.

Somehow turning them down and having clearer commentary would be better, I think. Like listening to a game on radio. You can still hear the sounds of the game in the background and it adds to the experience.

Somehow turning them down and having clearer commentary would be better, I think. Like listening to a game on radio. You can still hear the sounds of the game in the background and it adds to the experience.

I agree 100% on this B)

I think disabling it makes a lot of sense. We are all so familiar with the game sounds that we'll probably mentally be hearing them in our head as the game is being played anyway.

Doing that gives me the idea of dubbing in goal horns for games commentated while I'm at my grandparents'

Can you describe your audio recording process? I have a couple ideas on how the volume problem could be fixed.

Do you watch the game live and record your commentary at the same time?

I think you can do this (sorry if you know this or did this already :) ) :

Open the Volume Control in Windows (Either using the icon in the system tray or by going to "Control Panel", "Sounds and Audio Devices" then clicking the upper Advanced button (might be different if you're not using XP).

Reduce the Wave slider to about the 1st or 2nd lowest tick. This adjusts the game sound, but not the mic sound.

Jack up the Microphone slider to the top, or until you get bad feedback or fuzziness or general MY EARS ARE BLEEDINGness.

If you don't see the microphone slider, go to Options->Properties and put a checkmark next to microphone and click OK.

Use "Wave Out Mix" as the recording source (I think you already set this up properly):

Go to Options->Properties in the Volume Control window

Click the "Recording" radio button (i don't know why they're called radio buttons..)

Put a checkmark next to "Wave Out Mix"

Click OK, and it'll load the Recording Control instead of the Volume Control. Put a checkmark next to "Select" by the Wave Out Mix slider.