NHL'94 Forums

Power rankings

halifax

Welcome to Power Rankings,

There had been a request made in another forum asking for a Power rankings system to have a list of the top players for NHL 94. So I thought I’d take the time to assemble a Top 20 Power rankings list for both SNES and GENS. I was going to wait until after current playoffs to release it but I thought I might as well get it going now.

Here are your Top 20 GENS and SNES players with their power rankings points.

GENS

1. Kgman – 36.00

2. Tickenest – 33.80

3. James – 29.40

4. Matt Hurray – 25.70

5. Marc – 25.20

6. John – 23.30

7. backhandfloater – 21.60

8. tk11- 21.00

9. Carse – 20.50

10. thegr8199 – 16.70

11. naeem – 13.90

12. Feez – 12.30

13. (tie)juice maker, hokkefan – 12.00

15. addisonbr( B ) – 11.10

16. evan – 9.90

17. cash money( B ) – 9.60

18. aepurniet – 9.40

19. kgboy66- 9.00

20. Jacob – 7.95

SNES

1. the94kid – 36.60

2. The Deer – 34.30

3. Rudy – 30.00

4. JotaC – 27.80

5. Mike – 26.30

6. Mat Schwartz – 21.60

7. McMarkis – 16.70

8. Slimeball – 16.50

9. Patrick Brady – 15.80

10. Pokrchamp – 15.60

11. Blazer – 14.90

12. bloody Throats – 12.60

13. fenty – 10.80

14. BSDaemon( B ) – 9.30

15. Auggie – 9.15

16. Robert Aces – 8.70

17. Heartbreak4u – 8.40

18. Zyzzvas – 8.25

19.(tie) Skipper, Shakazuzu – 8.10

Here’s a break down of how Power ranking points were achieved.

An 80 Points system for the regular season/playoffs and previous regular season/playoffs.

For instance. You would have 80 points for a perfect regular season (40-0) and 80 points for a playoff championship (5points for each win(16) for a total of 80 points)

Then I based importance of each season

For an ‘A’ player…

Current playoff season (40% of your points)

Current Regular Season (30% of your points)

Previous playoff season (20% of your points)

Previous regular Season (10% of your points)

Total(100%) all points are added

For a player in the ‘B’ league I gave a value of half of that because I believe the ‘B’ league is half as good as the ‘A’(no doubt this will change over time..but for now I think this works)

For a ‘B’ player

Current playoff season (20% of your points)

Current Regular season (15% of your points)

Previous playoff Season (10% of your points)

Previous regular Season (5% of your points)

Total(50%) all points are added

NOTE: last season’s spring league did not have an A and B league…thus I recorded it as if it was an ‘A” league.

Still confused?…let me provide a couple of examples.

(EXAMPLE A) Let’s take kgman to start.

1.Last regular season in the GENS spring league Kgman had 38 points(x10%) for 3.8 power rankings points

2.Last playoffs season Kgman won the title…so that’s 16 wins, 5 points per win for 80 points(X20%) for 16 power rankings points

3.this regular season kgman had 54 points(x30%) for 16.20 power rankings points

4.this playoffs (not registered yet) 0 wins (x40%) for 0 power rankings points

TOTAL (3.8 + 16.0 + 16.2 + 0) = 36 power ranking points

(EXAMPLE B )

Will use Evan for this one

1. Last regular season in the GENS spring league Evan had 27 points(x10%) for 2.7 power rankings points

2. In last season’s playoffs Evan recorded 0 wins and thus 0 power rankings points

3. This regular season Evan is in the ‘B’ league and recorded 48points(x15%) for 7.2 power rankings points

4. this playoffs(not registered yet) 0 wins(x40%) for 0 power rankings points

TOTAL (2.7 + 0 + 7.2 + 0) = 9.9 power rankings points

Some things to keep in mind….

-this is not accurate by any means cause there are a lot of factors for instance some players took over teams in mid season and I used the team’s stats as that coaches record for simplicity sake…so this will affect some coaches.

-the current playoffs are not yet factored into this system but soon will be.

-I did all the calculations so if I’ve made an error with your score please advise and I’ll fix it

-have fun with this since that’s what it is meant for.

But I do feel this system (over time) can give fairly accurate rankings for the best players in the game.

What are your thoughts?

I think this is interesting, and fairly accurate. Good job, keep it going!

thanks...I'll continue to update as the playoffs roll on.

15. addisonbr( B ) – 11.10

I think that if my ranking is higher than it would be if you incorporated my (A) league results, you should probably do my (A) league numbers - or at the very least, some sort of blend of my (A) and (B ) league figures. Pretending that my (A) record doesn't exist is something I only do when trying to pick up chicks.

Love the effort put into these rankings (in fact, love all the effort all of you put into this league and forum, don't know where you guys find the time but none of you get the credit you deserve...)

I'm a newbie to the league, and currently a SNES 'B' leaguer.

You say the B league is half as good but here's the problem with that assumption. No matter how good someone is, in their first year they have no choice but to be in the B league. At least that's what I was told.

Now I'm not saying I'm the best, far from it. But if skill is not a requirement for placing teams in the A and B leagues and seniority plays a part, you can't make assumptions about the B leaguers skills until they have played at least one full season.

I pretty much can guarantee that if you took 1 random person from the A league and 1 from the B legue and they faced off, either could win. I definitely believe in having diff. leagues based on skill when the demand to join isso high, but in the future, why not use a relegation system (kind of like soccer) and move A guys down and B guys up based on performance. That way A leagueres may be able to actually claim their the better league! Until then, I know which A leaguers are better players but REFUSE to accept the A league as a better league based on skill! Although you guys certainly have a better games played ratio!!!

Good luck to the 'A' leaguers and whoever wins should play te B league champion, just for kicks...

ps - my good friend is an A leaguer and he's rated like 8 times better than me and that's what is really bothering me since I can kick his butt!

Wrong.

Sorry if you feel that way but I think most would agree that the 'B' is the weaker league(as it should be). Now I will agree there are some new players that play in the 'B' that joined midseason and after the playoffs we'll know which ones deserve to be in the 'A'. I think this system will help reflect that as it has already..there are a few 'B' league players on the list.

I think that if my ranking is higher than it would be if you incorporated my (A) league results, you should probably do my (A) league numbers - or at the very least, some sort of blend of my (A) and (B ) league figures. Pretending that my (A) record doesn't exist is something I only do when trying to pick up chicks.

good point addison...However, I didn't think that it would be fair to include multiple teams into your ranking(as it is giving you more points from playing more games)...so I picked your team that finished highest of the two.

i agree and i think the big thing is if your a b leaguer and want some respect....earn it and get bumped up with your play, just like anything else u have to climb the ladder and i know there are some solid b league guys there that should def be in a

Love the effort put into these rankings (in fact, love all the effort all of you put into this league and forum, don't know where you guys find the time but none of you get the credit you deserve...)

I'm a newbie to the league, and currently a SNES 'B' leaguer.

You say the B league is half as good but here's the problem with that assumption. No matter how good someone is, in their first year they have no choice but to be in the B league. At least that's what I was told.

Now I'm not saying I'm the best, far from it. But if skill is not a requirement for placing teams in the A and B leagues and seniority plays a part, you can't make assumptions about the B leaguers skills until they have played at least one full season.

I pretty much can guarantee that if you took 1 random person from the A league and 1 from the B legue and they faced off, either could win. I definitely believe in having diff. leagues based on skill when the demand to join isso high, but in the future, why not use a relegation system (kind of like soccer) and move A guys down and B guys up based on performance. That way A leagueres may be able to actually claim their the better league! Until then, I know which A leaguers are better players but REFUSE to accept the A league as a better league based on skill! Although you guys certainly have a better games played ratio!!!

Good luck to the 'A' leaguers and whoever wins should play te B league champion, just for kicks...

ps - my good friend is an A leaguer and he's rated like 8 times better than me and that's what is really bothering me since I can kick his butt!

skipper you definately raise some great points...every new player will pay their dues first in the 'B" league when they first sign up...but I think ultimately, you can play(win) your way on to the list...which is the point of it....this list will definately need time to sort itself out...but in the meantime have some fun with it:)

Another idea it should be changed to most recent season/playoffs completed and then the ones before that. So the case where nobody has any playoff stats will be changed next year at this time. You can use the 2 previous playoffs as a base until the current one is done.

What is the promotion decision process from B to A. Obviously based on the commitment issues in SNES its going to be wierd, but how many people are going to be promoted demoted and what are the criteria???

not sure pimp....maybe the admins will post that info sometime during or after the playoffs are done.(or they may simply wait until the spring to figure it out)

Guest BSDaemon
not sure pimp....maybe the admins will post that info sometime during or after the playoffs are done.(or they may simply wait until the spring to figure it out)

As i said, there is nothing to post. It's a judgement call, likely based on input from current A league members.

That must have taken a lot of work, and it's clear that you have a lot of interest, passion, and commitment to the game. I hope you end up playing in the SNES League next year. Great job!

Guest BSDaemon
That must have taken a lot of work, and it's clear that you have a lot of interest, passion, and commitment to the game. I hope you end up playing in the SNES League next year. Great job!

I hope so too, he's exactly the kind of person who can only make this league better.

thanks for the comments fellas....for sure I wanna play in the SNES league next season....hopefully there will be enough guys who can commit to keep the 'A' and the 'B' league going.

I think there are only enough committed guys to have one SNES League, but at least it'll be better than either SNES League was this past season.

MAN do i suck that bad that im last in the like last in the power ranking

i think the judge was paid off........... HE MUST BE A RUSSIAN IN FEAR OF HIS LIFE..........LOOOOL

MAN do i suck that bad that im last in the like last in the power ranking

i think the judge was paid off........... HE MUST BE A RUSSIAN IN FEAR OF HIS LIFE..........LOOOOL

lol...no im not russian...if i was...i would be with anna kournikova...

keep in mind your ranking was before the playoffs...ill update after the first round series are over..and you'll jump a few spots from your first round win.

good point addison...However, I didn't think that it would be fair to include multiple teams into your ranking(as it is giving you more points from playing more games)...so I picked your team that finished highest of the two.

I didn't mean for the A and B scores to be added, but to be averaged. Probably better than just taking my high score, which inflates my worth. So if I'm following your methodology correctly, my score would be the average of 11.10 and 5.40, for a new ranking of 8.25, which drops me from 15th to 19th. Just my suggestion though, these are your rankings and I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong.

I didn't mean for the A and B scores to be added, but to be averaged. Probably better than just taking my high score, which inflates my worth. So if I'm following your methodology correctly, my score would be the average of 11.10 and 5.40, for a new ranking of 8.25, which drops me from 15th to 19th. Just my suggestion though, these are your rankings and I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong.

That's a good idea...since the rankings are meant for coaches and not their individual teams...Good point...I'll make adjustments for those others that fall under the same category once the first round is complete.

B leaguers. :rolleyes:

I think we need a separate B leaguer forum. Keep their types away from our superior A leaguer discussions. B):P

So I guess I'll have to only allow guys in the B league into these forums then, hehe. :rolleyes:

I'm in the B and proud of it! Btw... there really isn't much difference between the 2 leagues.