NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 gen offline season

RB1983

10 hours ago, jer_33 said:

Season mode in 1994 required a pencil and some graph paper.

I did this with Blades of Steel back in the day. In hindsight, I'm glad that game doesn't have individual player stats.

8 hours ago, The Dopefish said:

Would probably work well today with some modest skill with a spreadsheet program!

Well perhaps, but to compile the game stats and link game sheet data to team calendars and player leader boards and team stats and rankings...
Would would almost take longer to do that than it would to play the games.

Well, if you are skilled in building a database driven website like nhl94online.com, and wanted to play on an emulator, you could create your own season, take save states and load them into the site.  That way it will spit out stats like we do for our leagues.  

The only issue would be simulating the rest of the games and stats.  

And just like others have done, I did the pencil/paper stats for NHL'93 when I was younger, as well as Mario Lemieux Hockey.  

On 7/26/2022 at 11:57 PM, von Ozbourme said:

Well perhaps, but to compile the game stats and link game sheet data to team calendars and player leader boards and team stats and rankings...
Would would almost take longer to do that than it would to play the games.

Do not underestimate the power of an excel-certified retro gamer.

Currently have spreadsheets from old sim leagues I ran with salary caps and RNG for free agency and trades, a complete history of my NCAA Dynasty which generates an 8 team playoff with conference promotion/relegation, and another spreadsheet to create a faux Tour mode for Mario Golf.

9 hours ago, seamor said:

Do not underestimate the power of an excel-certified retro gamer.

Currently have spreadsheets from old sim leagues I ran with salary caps and RNG for free agency and trades, a complete history of my NCAA Dynasty which generates an 8 team playoff with conference promotion/relegation, and another spreadsheet to create a faux Tour mode for Mario Golf.

You sparked a memory and I literally got the "I've seen things" expression from this one. Power and will cannot be underestimated, I've done this.

Once graduating from pencil and graph paper, I made six seasons worth of spreadsheets for a table hockey league between my brother and me. Had a dozen different teams for that game, printed out stickers of individual names and numbers on their backs. By the last season I'd gotten sophisticated enough to link different sheets, automatically adding up individual game points into a season total and then copying that data over to a full team totals, team player lists and overall stats leader list.

Now the question is, does that old backup drive still work...

On 7/29/2022 at 10:25 PM, von Ozbourme said:

By the last season I'd gotten sophisticated enough to link different sheets, automatically adding up individual game points into a season total and then copying that data over to a full team totals, team player lists and overall stats leader list.

Regardless of the game, Offline League Commissioner is something worth putting on a resume and I will not hear otherwise.

Also - if you're still into rod hockey, check out some of the custom Coleco stickers or guides to painting Stiga figures people are making right now. Costs maybe 20 bucks in supplies for each. Awesome stuff. Followed them and have these two tables kicking around in my stash of stuff I couldn't take to college.

image.pngimage.png

14 hours ago, seamor said:

Also - if you're still into rod hockey, check out some of the custom Coleco stickers or guides to painting Stiga figures people are making right now. Costs maybe 20 bucks in supplies for each. Awesome stuff. Followed them and have these two tables kicking around in my stash of stuff I couldn't take to college.

Ah I haven't played in years, but I still have a fully customized version of Wayne Gretzky's Overtime Hockey sitting in a box in my brother's attic. Even painted up about half a dozen of the teams we had with accurate gear, before I started trying to buy the rest online and got lazy. [the model paint would tent to flake off after extended use anyway]

Although I only printed out the numbers, names and patches on full uncut sticker sheets that i can cut out, I totally would make my teams look like that custom Vasilevskiy you have there. [Although our rosters featured guys like Winnipeg's Selanne and Essensa; Pittsburgh's Lemieux and Jagr; Boston's Neely and Oates; and Montreal's Damphousse and Roy.]