NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 2023 ROM by The Sauce

Sauce

Hi everyone!

It's that time again...
As with past years, I am posting my NHL94 2023 edition ROM (various updates, to come, throughout the season).  I'll start with this “Way Too Early” Edition and post additional versions as the pre-season/season progresses.

About the ROM:

*32 teams. 
*The ROM is based off of the Slapshot67 32-team template.  
*60 Min. OT.
*The ROM has the "weight bug fix". 
*The ROM has Clockwise's sprite patch.
*The rom has the WAS/WPG freeze bug.  When corrected, it causes an issue for the playoff mode.  If you use Kega Fusion, it will not freeze the player cards for those teams.
*Uniforms have been updated for Edmonton (both home and away), Columbus (Away) and Carolina (Home), Vegas (Home) and San Jose (Home and Away).
*Lines/d pairs are confirmed in some cases and best guesses/speculation in others.  They are subject to change. 
*Some injured players are in the active rosters if they are rumored to be returning (1st half of) this season.  Those out for a while longer may be in the game but not active.  Those confirmed as "out for the year" have been removed.

If you notice any mistakes, please let me know... enjoy!

"Way Too Early" Edition ROM (Re-posted 8/23/22)

NHL94 2023 Way Too Early Edition.bin

"Preseason" Edition ROM (Posted 9/10/22)

NHL94 2023 Preseason Edition.bin

V1 of Regular Season ROM (Posted 10/12/22)
NHL94 2023 v1.bin

NHL94 2023 by Sauce.png

Matchup.png

Matthews Scores!.png

Igor Saves!.png

Gaudreau Scores!.png

Edited by Sauce
Posted V1 of the regular season version of this ROM. Updated "About this ROM" text.
  • Like 4

I did consider adding the ASU logo, at center ice, for the Coyotes home games.  But, I decided that might be too much insult to injury for 'Yotes fans.  :)

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bobr9988 said:

Спасибо бро как всегда на высоте)класс

Thank you and you're welcome!

Edited by Sauce

Hi All,

A buddy of mine caught a mistake, in this ROM, which led to me catching a few more.  They have been corrected and I have re-posted the file.  Sorry about that!

A couple of player new/changed jersey numbers were announced yesterday, after I posted the ROM, so I was able to make those updates too.  I'll likely do a "Pre-Season" version in September (as I have done before) which will include more roster updates.  

~Sauce

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, naples39 said:

Nice work. I have decided not to make a '23 rom this year myself, but I trust you and AdamCatalyst to carry the torch!

Thanks Naples!  I always appreciated your original concepts/work as you raised the bar each time.  Hope you come back to it one day!

Edited by Sauce

On 8/3/2022 at 11:32 AM, Sauce said:

I did consider adding the ASU logo, at center ice, for the Coyotes home games.  But, I decided that might be too much insult to injury for 'Yotes fans.  :)

Nah that would have been cool. New arena will be nice !

Wow, I'm totally trying this ROM out soon!!  I just showed my son a lot of the old 90's NHL games the other day and he was saying how cool it would be if it could have the modern players he knows.  :D  Thanks for making this!

2 minutes ago, The Dopefish said:

Aww, yours was my favorite version :(

Really?  WTF?  Why would you post that on my thread???  It's no disrespect to him but, think about it!  smh

3 hours ago, Sauce said:

Really?  WTF?  Why would you post that on my thread???  It's no disrespect to him but, think about it!  smh

LOL sorry! I didn't mean to offend anyone! I prefer the more arcade-y nature of naples' version.  Nevertheless I do play yours and AdamCatalyst's quite often as well, and I appreciate the work all of you do.

Hello!

I decided to re-post my "Way Too Early" edition of this ROM.  I wasn't happy with the gold and grey used for Vegas (updated both home and away) and made the change.  But, to make it worth while, of course, I had to have some other notable changes/updates.  Soooooooo...

*(While not been made official yet)Carolina's black alternate jersey is now in the game as it leaked as the new primary home uniform.  For any purists, I had to leave some white in the uniform to accommodate the center ice logo colors.  Did the same thing for the Senators (the gold) once upon a time.  For other uni updates, please see the OP.
*Nazem Kadri is on Calgary.  Added some rookies and some vets (recently signed).
*Carey Price and Robin Lehner have been removed as both are on LTIR and rumored to miss this season.
*Updated several jersey numbers.  Some are not confirmed yet so TBD.
*Cleaned up/changed some headshots for NLC.

Sometime in September, I will post a "Preseason" version as the rosters continue to update.  That will be followed by the Start of the Season ROM.

If you notice any big mistakes, please let me know.

~Sauce

Edited by Sauce

Hi,

I can't thank you enough for this wonderful job! I rediscovered the fun that i've had with this game long time ago (about 27 years). I need my daily "dose" of NHL 94 2023! Long live your updates.

Regards,

-GannErik

Edited by GannErik
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GannErik said:

Hi,

I can't thank you enough for this wonderful job! I rediscovered the fun that i've had with this game long time ago (about 27 years). I need my daily "dose" of NHL 94 2023! Long live your updates.

Regards,

-GannErik

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it.  Thank you for saying so!  

is there any way to get different matchups when doing a 7 game playoffs (like you could in the original by just pressing right and left)? when playing with the canucks the matchups are always the same (starting matchup with Seattle) and the teams that made the playoffs are, funnily enough, teams that did not make the playoffs last year. Makes it somewhat boring to replay the same matchups.

1 hour ago, d4rock said:

is there any way to get different matchups when doing a 7 game playoffs (like you could in the original by just pressing right and left)? when playing with the canucks the matchups are always the same (starting matchup with Seattle) and the teams that made the playoffs are, funnily enough, teams that did not make the playoffs last year. Makes it somewhat boring to replay the same matchups.

You can change the playoff trees in NOSE which is an editing software that you can download from this site (just search "NOSE" and you'll see the thread for it).  I went with two scenarios in this particular ROM file.  The teams that made the playoffs last season are one bracket and the teams that didn't are another.  I'm not going to bother with creating alternate scenarios of the 32 possible brackets.  But, feel free to download NOSE and edit the structures for yourself.

9 minutes ago, Sauce said:

You can change the playoff trees in NOSE which is an editing software that you can download from this site (just search "NOSE" and you'll see the thread for it).  I went with two scenarios in this particular ROM file.  The teams that made the playoffs last season are one bracket and the teams that didn't are another.  I'm not going to bother with creating alternate scenarios of the 32 possible brackets.  But, feel free to download NOSE and edit the structures for yourself.

What I'll likely do in the "Preseason" (next) version of this ROM, is add two more brackets of a playoffs from another season (those who made it and those who didn't).  Most likely the season when TB played Dallas (as the year TB played Montreal was a screwy scenario/bracket setup).  That way, there will be 4 bracket trees and each team will have two possible playoff journeys.  But, nothing beyond that...

• 2 weeks later...

"Preseason" version will be posted within a week or so.  I'm just waiting on a couple of things.  

Edited by Sauce

On 9/5/2022 at 11:20 AM, Sauce said:

"Preseason" version will be posted within a week or so.  I'm just waiting on a couple of things.  

It has now been posted (see OP above).

What's new...

*  Added recent signings and updated several jersey numbers (not all have been confirmed yet).
*  Updated San Jose's new home and away jersey (as best as I could).  The jerseys leaked online and are apparently being sold in stores despite no official announcement (ooooops!).  The pants, gloves and helmets have not been confirmed but online leaks show them as teal.  So, I updated the pants and helmets too.  If it proves to be wrong, it will be fixed in the next version of this ROM.  The same goes for the Vegas home jerseys (rumored to be gold).
*  Added a 2nd set of playoff trees so now each team has two possible playoff experiences.
*  All remaining RFAs (I believe that there are 8 as of 9/10/22) are in the game.  None of the players who signed PTOs are included at this time.

I realize several prospects are not included and may cause a "what about so and so..." reaction.  I added several that are rumored to have a good shot.  I didn't include some, that could make it to opening night, as it is too early to tell.  Of course, if they do, the Opening Night version of this ROM will include them.  That said, the next version of this ROM should be the Opening Night version unless anyone catches any significant errors requiring re-posting.

Enjoy!

~Sauce

• 4 weeks later...