NHL'94 Forums

observation

ManOwar

hi fellas, im a huge fan of the nhl series up to the time ea released nhl 95 which I feel they screwed up with. I read the rules and to my surprise I found the the league games are only 5 min periods!! NO line changes!!! and NO OFFSIDES!!. Now someone please correct me please if ive missed somthing here but how can you possibly play with 5 min periods which dont allow enough time to make a mistake and then have your opponent d up for the rest of the short assed game. Also no line changes? no matching lines? no tiring out the other teams top line while playing tough d with your checking line? I could go on and on, fellas this game was great, and now that I see it can be played online I will be joining some of you as soon as I get my hands on a controller. I wish some of you would try playing the game the way its supposed to be played and not the way my 7 year old plays ( no line changes no offsides no nothing) did any of you ever play john madden football MINUS offsides or without rules enabled? no this game is as fun as hell try playing it the way its supposed to be played. ManOwar over 1000 10 minute period game played. and I only beat JOE PRO THREE TIMES! look forward to playing alll of you.

• 2 weeks later...

You only beat me TWICE and I had San Jose both times.....other than that I agree with your post. 10 minute periods are ideal and lines changes brings a little bit of strategy to the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the NHL94 online league and I have gotten used to these rules. My buddies and I always played full rules and line changes too, but not many want to use those rules.

Never been in an online league before (hint, hint) although I do believe that offsides and penalties should be observed. Savor the game for what it is, don't hurry it up!

fiset35

je me souviens

I agree with the line changes, but not with the offsides. The computer is absolutely retarded in staying onsides. A game with offsides on becomes a game of tag in between the blue lines while waiting for the stupid computer to get back onside.

Nah i like the use of offsides even if the computer is a moron... as for the line changes turning them off sometimes creates a very intense game as the starters are always on meaning the best players are always playing for each team which also means the speed and the hitting is great. But im willing to play with any rules.

And there is a league that plays with all the rules and the new updated roster rom http://65.36.133.56/nhl94/

I agree with the line changes, but not with the offsides. The computer is absolutely retarded in staying onsides. A game with offsides on becomes a game of tag in between the blue lines while waiting for the stupid computer to get back onside.

incredibly true...

There's another hockey game out there....ahhhhh!

ah, that's it. NHL All Star hockey 95, and if you play with offsides ON, you're signing up for the computer to go offsides roughly 50 times per ten minute period game. Makes NHL94 computers look like geniuses.

Guest nhl92fan
hi fellas, im a huge fan of the nhl series up to the time ea released nhl 95 which I feel they screwed up with. I read the rules and to my surprise I found the the league games are only 5 min periods!! NO line changes!!! and NO OFFSIDES!!. Now someone please correct me please if ive missed somthing here but how can you possibly play with 5 min periods which dont allow enough time to make a mistake and then have your opponent d up for the rest of the short assed game. Also no line changes? no matching lines? no tiring out the other teams top line while playing tough d with your checking line? I could go on and on, fellas this game was great, and now that I see it can be played online I will be joining some of you as soon as I get my hands on a controller. I wish some of you would try playing the game the way its supposed to be played and not the way my 7 year old plays ( no line changes no offsides no nothing) did any of you ever play john madden football MINUS offsides or without rules enabled? no this game is as fun as hell try playing it the way its supposed to be played. ManOwar over 1000 10 minute period game played. and I only beat JOE PRO THREE TIMES! look forward to playing alll of you.

Well, I am not 7 years old (try 7 times 4 LOL). I have never played with line changes, and only on occasion do I play my friends with "penalties on".

The reason is quite simple: The game is no where near as fun with line changes because its too much of a drag having all of your players get tired all of the time, and its more fun playing the whole game with the top line than all of the other scrub lines (with players noone really cares about). I mean, is it more fun saying "Super Mario 66 game winner!!" Or "Game winner (obscure Penguin here)!!"? Sorry but I dont consider line changes/fatigue/etc. to be fun. I think the game is loads more fun when all of your best players are at their full capacity. Keeps the action higher as well so you have to be more alert.

As for penalties, I think one league website summed it up best..."Penalties: Off, because Sega Officials are about as trustworthy as Clinton". LOL. It's really true, you can't trust Sega Officials for s**t. They call way too many dumb penalties, and way too many penalties PERIOD. Then you have the retarted offsides CPU. It's just not worth it.

With line changes on the checking isn't nearly as effective and the hitting isn't as intense. You have to rely a lot on the poke check because otherwise you will just bounce off guys consistently if you try to check them.

1.) You should always play with penalties especially offsides.

2.) Line changes gives you a more relistic game albeit a less exciting one.

3.)10 mins period is a good time length since it allows people to get back into the game if losing (like Manowar)

Online play will almost always be done with 5-minute periods for three reasons:

1) games take less time and, therefore, require less of a time committment from the players

2) more games can be played in X amount of time

3) (the biggest reason) shorter games = less chance of a desync

Regarding penalties, I wouldn't miss them terribly if they weren't used, because there is quite a bit of randomness to them. Still, I would rather play with them than without out because offisdes can't be used without penalties. I believe that offsides is a must for high level competition simply because it increases the amount of skill required to be successful. Yes, the CPU players will often go offside just ahead of your puck carrier, but a good offensive player can recognize that most of the time and either pass to the player or pull the puck back, and a good defensive player can recognize this and try to hold up the opposing puck carrier enough outside the zone to let the CPU players enter early.

Line changes also add to the level of skill required since they can give an edge to a player who rearranges his lines effectively and who can work his lines to give himself opportunities to play his rested top line against either an opponent's tired top line or rested second line. Additionally, if the game's being played with 5-minute periods, fatigue isn't a huge problem, because there's just not enough time to wear everyone out, and if you are finding that your guys are getting tired really quickly..........stop hammering the C button so much.

ok again tick is mr king s**t know it all. man you are annoying me ,you dont play your league games when asked and your opinion sucks about time of periods cause everyone knows 5 minutes is to short and as time for comittment for players cmon how long does it take to play a f**kin game . think about what your saying mr. takes sooooo long to play a game.i think asking someone to play a 5 min period game is not a difficulty for someone to take out of their buuusy schedule like youuuuu think it is and cmon about desynch it hardly happens except when people play you and when you happen to be losing.why dont you just buck up hero instead of putting your weak opinions on all of us useless weak online players.............thats sarcasm hero.now that thats been said i cant wait for your supreme and devine statements. i know you add some information for rookies but we all know you feed on your masterful comments and opinions and sit high on your throne but be prepared to be knocked off of your throne b***h! P.S nhl94 was the s**t and everyone one played it when it came out so you werent the s**t then either mr. played it before it was cool . man gag me with whatever your ego makes me sick

And you are?

This thread appears to be heating up but I do agree that NHL94 was ALWAYS cool and will remain to be so. Desynching when your losing is ALWAYS uncool and lead to people getting bad reps. Take your losses like a man and get better! Anybody wanna play email me @ jriley@nyc.rr.com and I'll play anyone, anytime........