NHL'94 Forums

UltraMagnus

28 minutes ago, Jpark said:

It's okay! I've been enjoying the rom. I hope you keep it up and are able to make updates as the season goes on. Thanks again for the fixes you've made.

I'll be doing them monthly. Also if your interested we have an NHL95 online league as well. A few different ones.

• 2 months later...

Clearly I’m doing something wrong, but cannot join the discord.  Despite my incompetence, wanted to give kudos for an awesome game.  This is everything I hoped for and more. 

From a constructive feedback perspective, I did notice the rangers logo on the ice seems to be missing red, but not sure if that’s intentional.  Also getting crashes with the Prospect team.  And the roster for the Legends team in Shootout mode seems different than during regular season?  Those nitpicks aside, what a fantastic game and clear there was a ton of hard work.  Thank you!  This is amazing!

Edited by ddman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 6:38 AM, UltraMagnus said:

Unfortunately no. Still looking for that 1 byte that has the limit of points. Its elusive.

If someone can send me a pair of savestates, one with the team before the bug, and one after, i can probably fix it. It screws up after 127 points, right? (127 is 1st place, 128+ is last place?)

5 hours ago, smozoma said:

If someone can send me a pair of savestates, one with the team before the bug, and one after, i can probably fix it. It screws up after 127 points, right? (127 is 1st place, 128+ is last place?)

@smozomaI think it has to do with the byte order. since the make is 256, which equates to half of that value. 128. Not sure if they are restricting it to something. Ill find it.

35 minutes ago, UltraMagnus said:

@smozomaTested it with the Jets to 63 points. Their location for their points are. Ive included the save state and the rom that was used.image.png

1.srm 208.88 kB · 0 downloads NHL23(95).bin 2 MB · 0 downloads

Very cool to see if this can get fixed.

18 hours ago, UltraMagnus said:

@smozomaI think it has to do with the byte order. since the make is 256, which equates to half of that value. 128. Not sure if they are restricting it to something. Ill find it.

My guess is they used a "signed" single-byte operation in the sorting function. In signed values, when the highest bit is 1, the number becomes negative. So when you add 127+1, the answer is -128 due to using the 2's complement encoding. So the solution is probably to find the sorting routine and change the operator they used. For example there is BGT (branch if greater-than) and BHI (branch if higher), one is signed, one is unsigned (I forget which is which).

image.png

On 2/16/2023 at 6:45 PM, UltraMagnus said:

@smozomaTested it with the Jets to 63 points. Their location for their points are. Ive included the save state and the rom that was used.image.png

1.srm 208.88 kB · 2 downloads NHL23(95).bin 2 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks!

I think I fixed it. But someone will need to win all the games to prove it... (or hack the save to add more wins).

It should fix the standings display sorting, and hopefully the same code is used to decide who makes the playoffs.

(ROM removed.. see next post)

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...