NHL'94 Forums

Standing Updater Info?

drunksuperman

Anyone know where I can get something that automatically updates standing just by entering the score? I was going to have a little tournament with my buds and wanted something that would automatically update the standings, like the system this site uses for its league games. Thanks.

I guess that could be done in Excel, by writing some macros

Guest BSDaemon

I understand that you're not computer savvy... but you have to understand that there isn't just some guide that you can call up that will teach you everything - I only wish it was that simple!!

Excel is a pretty simple program, and doing what you want to do would also be very simple :) Just mess around, I'm sure you could get something working ;)

Big question...... Do you have any programming experience? I doubt there's any off the shelf solution that's both affordable and simple enough to implement relatively quick.

I'm gonna guess that the guys who do the online league "roll their own" stuff and I'm impressed by how nicely things are put together on the site.

Here's how I would do it...... if you want the results hosted online you need some way of dynamically rendering pages. I would store the data in a database using mySQL or something simiar. Then you just need to write the code that interfaces a browser with the database. I would recommend Apache Struts beacuse it's what I've used and what I'm familiar with.

If you don't need it to be online, just write a little Java application that keeps track of scores, wins, losses etc and maybe emails everyone the latest standings every evening or something.

-Greg

Guest BSDaemon
Big question...... Do you have any programming experience? I doubt there's any off the shelf solution that's both affordable and simple enough to implement relatively quick.

I'm gonna guess that the guys who do the online league "roll their own" stuff and I'm impressed by how nicely things are put together on the site.

Here's how I would do it...... if you want the results hosted online you need some way of dynamically rendering pages. I would store the data in a database using mySQL or something simiar. Then you just need to write the code that interfaces a browser with the database. I would recommend Apache Struts beacuse it's what I've used and what I'm familiar with.

If you don't need it to be online, just write a little Java application that keeps track of scores, wins, losses etc and maybe emails everyone the latest standings every evening or something.

-Greg

Java.... ew.

FreeBSD, Apache, PHP and MySQL is all you need :D