NHL'94 Forums

SNES A- Montreal vs Quebec

The Deer

Well tonight was mostly an exercise in futility.

The word for the night was LAG.

We tried for about an hour, but every time we connected, it'd be terribly laggy.

After endless amounts of tries, we finally got one that only had a little bit of lag. We decided we'd give it a try.

There was a LITTLE bit of lag, but for the most part it was playable. The game was awesome. EXTREMELY tight-checking action. 0-0 well into the third period, not because of sloppy play or nothing happening, but because of excellent checking, defense, and goaltending on both sides. It felt like a classic was brewing.

Montreal finally opened the scoring almost two minutes into the third, picking the top corner with a backhand deke. Then the goals flew from then on in, and the final score ended up being 4-2 Habs, which was hard to believe considering we almost made it halfway through the third period at a 0-0 stalemate. Overall awesome game, even though there was a little bit of lag at times.

We tried to play a second game, and actually almost finished it, but the lag was very bad, and eventually it kind of booted both of us off or something; the game just froze and aborted. We decided that that was enough for the night, that the second game would be scrapped because the quality just wasn't acceptable, and that we'll try again tomorrow night.

No idea what's causing this problem, as both us tried to connect to other friends, and found that the play was fine.

Here's hoping for better luck tomorrow. At least we got one good game in.

Just posting an update to state that Game 7 should be on its way this evening.

Yesterday evening, shakazuzu and I played Games 2-6 with only a small bit of lag problems, not enough to prevent us from playing quality games though. Excellent games I might add, very intense and the play was as back and forth as the results would indicate.

We didn't have time to play the seventh game right then and there, as I was running late for hockey (the real kind lol).

We agreed to play Game 7 upon my return, and we tried, but we experienced similar significant lag problems like we faced two nights ago when we played Game 1 and saw major lag keep us from playing any more games. Neither of us knew what to do to fix it, so we decided to try again today after work/school, sometime in the evening.

Every effort will be made to finish the series off tonight before the deadline; here's hoping that we don't encounter anymore lag problems so that these playoffs can continue to run pretty smoothly. :blink:

Thanks.

What makes the 12-7 game crazier is that Game One was ultra-defensive. With about three minutes remaining in the third period it was still 0-0.

Game 6 was just one of those games where it seemed as though every scoring chance resulted in a goal (especially for him). There was also a shitload of powerplays on both sides; special teams goals all over the place. The way the goals were flying, I never felt out of it, even when down by as many as six goals; I didn't concede that he was going to win that game until it was 12-7 with about 1:45 left.

Ya, 0-0 into the third one game, 12-7 another, what a dynamic series. We really need to get broadcast rights for these games. I'd love to watch this series.

Is 19 goals a playoff record? That's more than a goal a minute!!! Crazy.

It's over. Check the playoffs page.

I'll post all about how all the games unfolded either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

For now, I'll just say that even though I lost, it was an absolutely amazing series. I went into it hoping for a classic, as last year every series I played in was over in four or five games. I got everything I had hoped for, and it's not too often that one leaves something that they had been looking forward to and can say "Yeah that was everything I expected it was going to be." Being able to be a part of such a series was something I had never thought would be possible online even a year ago, and was the exact reason I joined this league. I'll have fond memories of that series for a while, win or lose.

Even though I lost I have little to no regrets; both of us came out and played pretty damned close to our best (wouldn't have been such an awesome series otherwise), his best just happened to be a fraction of a hair better than mine. I knew going in that the chances for both of us were about 50/50 and that it was pretty much a flip of a coin, which is pretty much what it came down to; OT of game 7, doesn't get much closer than that. I'm not going to get upset with myself and feel as though I choked, because I know I didn't, two pretty well equal guys went at it and one of them had to win. Don't let the standings deceive you; this is a guy who would have had every bit as good a reg season as I had had he played all his games........ for proof, look at the Spring 2006 SNES final standings. We could have gone on forever, but it has to stop at some point, and OT of Game 7 was it. And Game 7 was insane; I was down 3-0 heading into the third period and came all the way back to tie it. Went to OT, and the OT unfolded exactly as almost all OTs in this league seem to; one guy wins the opening faceoff, walks in and scores in the first ten seconds. I hadn't lost in OT all regular season, played about three or four of them and won them all, almost all in the opening ten seconds too. What a time for me to lose my first OT game. But as I said, I have no regrets, I did everything I could have, except maybe be a little more intense in Game 6.

shakazuzu, you played awesome. To come in pretty much cold and perform at that kind of level means you're just a sick talent at this game. You were a class act all the way and best of luck in the next round; I fully expect you and Biff to have another classic series. Great series man, my only regret was that it wasn't two or three rounds later, but that was the way the cookie crumbled this year in terms of the inbalance in games played and the havoc it wreaked on the final standings.

I had a shitload of fun playing in the league this season, and I can't wait to do it again next time.

As I said, I'll likely talk about the actual games later.

Here's hoping that the rest of the playoffs go great.

Great write up man!

EDIT* Sometimes I find when I play the game..it literally becomes a guessing game. if im playing against a weaker player you dont have to think about it becuase you know that even if you get scored on, you can come back....but when you are both matched equally in skill you start trying to guess what he's gonna do each offensive and defensive play...whoever guesses right more wins.

With 5 minute periods it makes it easier for anyone to beat anyone on any given day as opposed to 10 or 20 minute periods.

Glad to hear you had fun...cause there's a select few that still seem to miss that point.

WOW Crazy series!!!

DOn't like hearing about the lag part, hopefully you can sort that out Deer.

Maybe you need a new NHL94 computer lol!!

Before that series started, I knew Montreal was a tough matchup for Quebec. Quebec is

a fairly balanced team that probably works best with balanced scoring. & Montreal is perhaps

the most balance team, every player is solid & can hit... & plays great D

After playing my first series today, I realize the nerves involved in playing these.

Great sportsmanship by Deer,

there's been some awesome series so far, lets hope it keeps up!

:P sad to see a caper go down but great sportsmanship man and u def got a shitty draw, gonna be a crazy series with shaka and i will not let him take down capers back to back :P , cheers to a great player and a great season ...we'll have some pops on the weekend and get a championship in ;)

Unfortunately none of these games were recorded; too bad, because I'm willing to bet that some of them were among the better games played in the brief history of the nhl94online.com SNES League.

And yes, you could consider that to be payback for the 2006 Spring League playoffs, that's one way of thinking about it anyway. Just sucks to know that I came one goal away from not having to pay for it at all. :)

yes, it was difinately a crazy series and one that will be remembered...BATTLE OF QUEBEC!! it was so close, it didnt matter who had the lead, you knew the guy was gonna make some sort of push to tie it up. got my revenge from last season :P . it was great playing you man and i hope we meet up in next seasons playoffs.. now who's next?!?.. :P

It's so true man that it didn't matter who had the lead or how big a lead they had, both guys were totally capable of erasing almost any lead.

Game 4, I had a 6-2 lead early in the second period, but by the midway point of the third you had tied it 6-6.

Game 7, you led 3-0 after two periods and it looked like it was over, but just past the halfway point of the third period it was 3-3 and next thing you knew we were headed to overtime.

Both of us totally emptied the tank in that series, it was the classic I was looking for, just that I could have done without the gutwrenching end result. :P

You were total class the whole way. On at least two occasions, you got directly screwed over by lag, and never complained. Once I even offered you an empty net goal on me to make up for one total bullshit goal that I scored only because the lag fucked with your goalie's ability to get across, but you declined and just played on. I honestly don't know if I could have done the same had I been in your shoes.

GL against Biff, I expect that to be pretty much as close and as heated a series.

As for meeting in the playoffs in the future, it seems like we always run into each other come playoff time, so I fully expect it. I guess that one would be the rubbermatch........... for now.