NHL'94 Forums

Draft comments

dmitry

i was wondering if we were allowed to pick ahead os schedule if there was no one skipped before you, thanks

the only time you can pick early is if all picks before you have been made. so yes you can pick if nobody has been skipped and you are next.

why cant we trade during the season.........

the database won't match up for statistics if you play games with different rosters. the only way we could do this is if you and the guy you wanted to trade with had all of your previously scheduled games already played.

I still think the offsides rule should be up for debate. I've been practicing with them on and I can't believe anyone would say that offsides doesn't slow up the pace of the game. The teams bunch up around the blue lines and it just seems to mess up the feel of the game, especially when you can't spread out the ice.

Any chance this discussion can be reopened?

I still think the offsides rule should be up for debate. I've been practicing with them on and I can't believe anyone would say that offsides doesn't slow up the pace of the game. The teams bunch up around the blue lines and it just seems to mess up the feel of the game, especially when you can't spread out the ice.

Any chance this discussion can be reopened?

i dont think anyone said the pace of the game isn't slowed down. its always open for discussion, but i think the main argument was that there is more strategy and its more like real hockey than just passing up to a cherry picker every play. quite honestly i have only played a few games with it turned off and i feel like i'm cheating.

We should be playing with offsides on- it certainly adds to the strategy of the game and the feel of "real hockey," which doesn't need home-run passes and cherry-pickers playing all day long. Sure, run-and-gun is fun, but playing with offsides on might keep a lot of players from getting "cheapies" and actually increase the closeness of games.

I'm all for playing games with offsides ON. :)

Guest rockyrmjc22
We should be playing with offsides on- it certainly adds to the strategy of the game and the feel of "real hockey," which doesn't need home-run passes and cherry-pickers playing all day long. Sure, run-and-gun is fun, but playing with offsides on might keep a lot of players from getting "cheapies" and actually increase the closeness of games.

I'm all for playing games with offsides ON. :)

Umm I don't know.......it would decrease scoring but sometimes we cant control the stupid CPU to be offsides..

I like the offside on but its the CPU that f's up the game....Please wait for others to reply to this

I'm all for playing games with offsides ON. :blink:

I agree with you on the run and gun gameplay. However, I think a lot of those passes from the goalie to the opponents blue line are often intercepted. As long as you have a team with decent defensive awareness and you make it a point to get back on D after your shots, I think a lot of the run and gun game can be prevented.

But I also like the breakaway game to an extent on the D side of the puck b/c it gives you those one on ones with the goalie... and there's enough time where you have to think about switching to the goalie and commiting to your oppenents breakaway.

With offsides on, there's a lot of bunching up around the blue line and I agree with Rocky's comment about not being able to control the cpu guys from flying offsides.

we still had tons of breakaways last year in the 2006 league with offsides turned on. i'm going to try playing more with it off to see what its like.

when they bunch up, you can flip it into the corner or risk coming in offsides, which to me is more like real hockey strategy. thats a part of the game that goes away with no offsides.

it also encourages good quick passing because you can't just carry the puck across.

The polls results you posted shows a landslide in favor of off-sides "off." But chances are the voting is skewed due to non-league members voting.

Dmitry - It's your call but perhaps we should ask the players to post their vote along with their Round 4 pick.

i have an honest question, how many of the guys that want it turned off have played more than a couple games with it turned on?

the opinions of those who have played lots of games both off and on mean a lot more to me than the opinions of those who have only played with it either off or on. since i have only played with it on, i dont even consider my own opinion as having much weight.

i have an honest question, how many of the guys that want it turned off have played more than a couple games with it turned on?

the opinions of those who have played lots of games both off and on mean a lot more to me than the opinions of those who have only played with it either off or on. since i have only played with it on, i dont even consider my own opinion as having much weight.

I cannot tell a lie. I have played with offsides a very limited amount of times. Every time I tried, frustration with the poor AI and bad passing kicks in almost immediately.

But then again, I ussually play with crappy low rated teams.

I cannot tell a lie. I have played with offsides a very limited amount of times. Every time I tried, frustration with the poor AI and bad passing kicks in almost immediately.

But then again, I ussually play with crappy low rated teams.

I definitely agree with the passing aspect. Offsides is more like real hockey, however, what's not like real hockey in 94 is passing when your too close to other players.... just doesn't happen without the puck bouncing off the end of their stick. It's nice to be able to spread the ice for better passing.

i also have been playing alot of games lately with offsides turned on, it is brutal, i think it takes control in some ways out of the players habds and puts in in the hands of the AI, they go offsides in the most unpredictable cases. i just know that my head will explode if i lose a game based on that, please NO offsides

Well I've obviously played with it on, since I was in the first stats league. I could go either way; the game is definitely faster and more fun with offsides off, but more strategy is involved with it on. It comes down to fun vs. strategy. I like both.

concerning the offsides debate, we already have a league where no offsides exist. Why not add to the variety by having a league where offsides are turned on?

If it came down to a vote, I would choose offsides off. But I don't see any harm to the game by having it on.