NHL'94 Forums

NCAA Hockey: Road to Tampa Bay (NHL 94) - 2023 NCAA ROMs - Final Update

Sean

• Sean changed the title to College Hockey Gameday - 2023 NCAA ROMs, Spreadsheet Simulator, Outdoor Rinks, and more

Hey all, 4.0 just went up.

Included in the update...

• Spreadsheet Season Simulator
    • Regular Season schedule tracker, conference playoff seeding randomizer, and NCAA tournament seeding randomizer
    • There is an example spreadsheet so you can get a feel for how it works - feel free to delete my notes or the conference/non-conference game designations, but make tweaks to the total games played or formulas at your own risk.
    • I tried to make this as user friendly as possible, but it may be finicky for some and hell, there's a chance no on even uses it! If you have any issues, send me a Discord message and I can try to help you out.
  • Updated ROMs with small visual tweaks
    • ESPN+ scorebug updated, bracket banners restored to original pallette, and portraits updated

Anyways, let me know if there are any problems.

Hey Seamor...still enjoy your games...these are biblically HUGE and fun..I got a question, you did the neutral and outdoor roms but for the end of the year, do you intend to do roms for Final four? where any and every team could be part of the final four with the final four ice and crowd stuff?  Just thought I ask since it hasn't been mention. I know there's a lot of work involved and wondering if you might not do it, which could be understandable..but just wondering if sets of playoff roms will be added.  Stay safe and thanks a million for your work.  Always there to support you man!! :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, I got the puck said:

do you intend to do roms for Final four?

Good question - I personally consider the neutral site ROM to be the playoff ROM. The only reason I used the general NCAA Hockey logo instead of the Frozen Four logo was to make it flexible for anyone who wanted to play conference championships or in-season tournaments (as a proud Bostonian, I love the Beanpot!).

If you look closely at the splash photo, it’s actually from one of the NHL rinks they had the FF tournament at a few years ago.

In terms of future updates - I have a small graphics tweak (added scorekeepers, coaches, and refined bench players) I hope to publish soon after some more testing. I may or may not add a separate pod with all of the major club teams that people speculate could go D1 within the next few years around Christmas time. 

Thanks for the continued support!

Edited by seamor
  • Thanks 1

Hey all,

Caught a bug that needed quick patching while playtesting something else, so you get a bug fix and the new rink template I was toying with. Have a nice American Thanksgiving.

Edited by seamor

On 11/13/2022 at 5:40 AM, seamor said:

Hello (again). 3.0 is live now.

Outdoor Net.pngOutdoor Menu.pngSnowy Scoreboard.png

• Outdoor Rink is set up, with lots of details I enjoy. There have been a few outdoor rink templates (including my own), but this is in my opinion the truest look. The glass is "transparent" and the lighting is ever so slightly tinted yellow to give a sunshine/stadium lighting effect.
  • The scoreboard is snowy, the splash screen is Soldier Field, and teams that I have seen wear alternate uniforms outside receive updates to wear those jerseys. A few football inspired uniforms too.
  • Bugs have been tracked and fixed.

That rink is awesome! I love the creativity with this series.

Have you considered putting a toque on the bald guy in the stands in the scoreboard menu screen? :lol:

1 hour ago, Drezz said:

That rink is awesome! I love the creativity with this series.

Have you considered putting a toque on the bald guy in the stands in the scoreboard menu screen? :lol:

Thanks!

And well now, yes, I definitely am!

• Haha 1

• Sean changed the title to College Hockey Gameday (NHL 94) - 2023 NCAA ROMs, Spreadsheet Simulator, Outdoor Rinks, and more
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 1:10 AM, seamor said:

image.png

Coming 12.24.22.

I think this is a Texas longhorns logo which does not have a D1 team.  Has this changed? comes to me an idea to suggest you an extra pod with fantasy ncaa teams such as Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, Miami(Florida) and I wouldn't mind playing a Florida Gators team which has cool colors as jerseys.  Do you think it would interest you to doithis? Just food for thought.  Have a great Christmas!! Joyeux Noel!!!

2 hours ago, I got the puck said:

comes to me an idea to suggest you an extra pod with fantasy ncaa teams such as Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, Miami(Florida) and I wouldn't mind playing a Florida Gators team which has cool colors as jerseys.

Maybe you’re onto something. Can’t say :)  

Edited by seamor

6 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

I haven't checked in on this in months… holy smokes, you've gone bananas!!! I love it!!!

Yeah… I definitely went a bit overboard!

Couldn’t have done it without working from an awesome foundation and your TM references. Saved so much time, especially when doing the new pod combinations and patches. 

• Thanks 1

This is so f'n awesome!  Thx so much man.  

As for teams like texas,florida,arkansas...yeah I think that'd be cool to do on one of the files.   Also minor league hockey one would be cool.

I have one question how do you get the alternate rinks and outdoor rinks to pop up?

Again thx man

1 hour ago, D. Sekreterenson said:

This is so f'n awesome!  Thx so much man.  

As for teams like texas,florida,arkansas...yeah I think that'd be cool to do on one of the files.   Also minor league hockey one would be cool.

I have one question how do you get the alternate rinks and outdoor rinks to pop up?

Again thx man

Decompress the zip file. :thumbs_up:

2 hours ago, D. Sekreterenson said:

Those are in the Dynasty Simulator topic just to keep it as a separate project since the rosters are fictional. 

Arkansas did not make the cut but given their status as an SEC team they could be in a potential third update along with Auburn, LSU, or Vanderbilt.

It’ll be while before I add more teams, but in that other .zip there’s 32 extra teams from across the ACC, AAC, Big 12, SEC, B1G, Ivy, MWC, and PAC 12. 

8 minutes ago, D. Sekreterenson said:

Also a Slap Shot version of all the teams from the movie would be awesome.

Just a thought

Coach Mac did that a while back, it’s really good!

• Sean changed the title to College Hockey Gameday (NHL 94) - 2023 NCAA ROMs
11 hours ago, seamor said:

Those are in the Dynasty Simulator topic just to keep it as a separate project since the rosters are fictional. 

Arkansas did not make the cut but given their status as an SEC team they could be in a potential third update along with Auburn, LSU, or Vanderbilt.

It’ll be while before I add more teams, but in that other .zip there’s 32 extra teams from across the ACC, AAC, Big 12, SEC, B1G, Ivy, MWC, and PAC 12. 

Ok cool was that in that link?  One if those 6 files?  Or further along in this thread somewhere?

2 minutes ago, D. Sekreterenson said:

Ok cool was that in that link?  One if those 6 files?  Or further along in this thread somewhere?

It's on its own post in the Genesis ROMs part of the forum.

• Sean changed the title to ESPN+ College Hockey (NHL 94) - 2023 NCAA ROMs

Hey all,

Working on a roster update for this project and I will also be touching up some visuals while I'm at it.

Looking to have this done before the rivalry weekend at the end of January (BU v BC AND Cornell v Harvard, yes!)

I will also be making a name change to the project as to avoid confusion with ECH's College Hockey Gameday.

Edited by seamor

• Sean changed the title to NCAA Hockey: Road to Tampa Bay (NHL 94) - 2023 NCAA ROMs

Hey all,

Just wanted to share an update on the scope of this project (mostly for my own gain/to track progress).

image.pngimage.png

First, I have decided to revamp the branding to get away from the ESPN+ imagery. There was some serious East Coast bias in that decision given only 2 conferences are on the service.

image.pngimage.png

Second, I am changing the pre-game experience to be a bit more true to college hockey and cohesive with the NCAA branding. Colby Cohen takes over as the color commentator given he's the only Frozen Four broadcaster who played D-I, and team rankings appear. Drezz's background hacks appear on both pre-game screens. This is a screenshot of the rough draft of this stage of the game, and I am very excited with how the final looks.

image.pngimage.png

Third, the rink and arena tile layout has been updated to feature a more realistic atmosphere. Ice logos are as authentic as possible, and fan colors are now "dynamic" based on the home team's color palette. The signs are also going to be on the bottom of the glass as to match actual NCAA rinks.

I hope to publish the podded update where you can see all of the changes in action within the next few weeks, these large scale changes take a lot of time but they are necessary to create a ROM worthy of the amazing league that is D1 NCAA Hockey.

Edited by seamor
  • Love 2
  • Like 1