NHL'94 Forums

Has anyone modded the NHL '95 in game UI to look like '94?

darkwombat

Attached are two screenshots, NHL 94 and 95. Obviously 94 is the left one. Notice the scores and time and how clean it looks on a black background? I think NHL 95 lost something with this. Sometimes it just is not very readable.

I like NHL 94 a lot more but I like to play seasons and you cant do that with NHL 94. With all the editing and things with teams like Vegas being added and artwork, is this possible and if so has anyone done it or would it be easy to do?

Thanks!

sample1.jpg

Edited by darkwombat

I remember trying to the the reverse of what you said -- bring in the transparent '95 into '94, but that wasn't as straightforward as I had hoped.  If I dig up any notes I'll share, but if I remember correctly something about that transparency was making it a bit trickier than "change the background to black" if that makes sense.  Definitely think it's possible though.

I think the issue with that is the fonts. There are, if I recall correctly, three "basic" fonts and four large that are visually identical to each other, but functionally are used in different contexts. One of which, in both cases, includes the transparent “mesh” or “checkerboard” or whatever you want to call it. It might[?] be as easy as also making the text background black as well.

<pause for quick testing>
Well, it's a start. Just used the original grey, but swapping the grey for black, and probably changing the fonts to the clearer older style since that drop shadow wouldn't show up anyway, would likely yeild the result you are looking for.

image.png

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

12 hours ago, darkwombat said:

Wow that's great. Can you do that to this rom below and upload in this thread but keep the EA Sports as is in the bottom left?

I would be forever grateful!

image.png
Black seems a tad dark on the stark white ice, but it's interestng to see how it comes together. I'll PM you the resulting ROM.

Edited by von Ozbourme
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

7 hours ago, von Ozbourme said:

image.png
Black seems a tad dark on the stark white ice, but it's interestng to see how it comes together. I'll PM you the resulting ROM.

Wow @von Ozbourmecan you dm me what you did. As this is something that I've wanted to try. Much appreciated for your efforts as always.

Now that we are making progress I have one more LITTLE TINY FAVOR and I will owe you for life.

Take this rom that von Ozbourme edited and place the current Ottawa Senators back (for season play), replacing I don't know, maybe Buffalo? I like to play the underdog Senators!

On 11/17/2022 at 11:14 AM, darkwombat said:

Now that we are making progress I have one more LITTLE TINY FAVOR and I will owe you for life.

Take this rom that von Ozbourme edited and place the current Ottawa Senators back (for season play), replacing I don't know, maybe Buffalo? I like to play the underdog Senators!

Ill check...cause I might do an update with the teams that are in the playoff hunt or non-playoff teams...bottom 6 teams could be removed from season mode.