NHL'94 Forums

.bin file???

What is a .bin file and how can you play them? I found .smc files that run on my SNES emulator. Just curious how those work. I don't own a computer so editing/compiling is out of the question. I play on my SNES console and on a android TV box.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a question about this the roms in here are bin and I can play them on my retroarch but other roms idk I can't seem to get them in files to will work on retroarch...for example the other day I wanted to download a rom of the old Press your luck game,I think from 88,I couldn't find it in a bin file.  And also the 98 Nagano olympic hockey gm on n64.

Anybody know where to find them?

1 hour ago, D. Sekreterenson said:

I have a question about this the roms in here are bin and I can play them on my retroarch but other roms idk I can't seem to get them in files to will work on retroarch...for example the other day I wanted to download a rom of the old Press your luck game,I think from 88,I couldn't find it in a bin file.  And also the 98 Nagano olympic hockey gm on n64.

Anybody know where to find them?

You can get ROMs off archive.org.

n64 games - click "ZIP" under "DOWNLOAD OPTIONS" to get the list of all downloads - https://archive.org/details/nintendo-64-romset-usa

I couldn't find "Press your luck", what system is that on?

After getting the ROMs, you need to add the appropriate "core" to RetroArch so it knows how to play games from that system: https://www.retroarch.com/?page=cores

9 minutes ago, D. Sekreterenson said:

It's on Dos

I found them both on this site but idk if it's the laptop it doesn't seem to change them to bin.

You can't change it to bin, it's a different thing.

Try installing the DOSBox core in Retroarch - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/01/dosbox-pure-for-retroarch-aims-to-simplify-classic-ms-dos-gaming/

If you don't see "Download Core" in the Load Core window, go to Settings-User Interface-Menu Item Visibility and turn "Show Core Downloader" to on.

21 minutes ago, D. Sekreterenson said:

Ok cool thx

• Thanks 1

Hm you might need to run the appropriate core and then navigate to the game file. Otherwise maybe it's just remembering the old core you used and only showing you games compatible with that core?