NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94: 2023 Edition by Adam Catalyst

AdamCatalyst

6 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

This has been completely insane. I’m seriously losing my mind trying to keep up, and refactor teams lines!

Take your time adam.

On another note, I just noticed the genesis wide mode patch for the NHL games. You know what I'm gonna ask :D It would be sweeter than sweet.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, George said:

Take your time adam.

On another note, I just noticed the genesis wide mode patch for the NHL games. You know what I'm gonna ask :D It would be sweeter than sweet.

LOL - Yup, I know what you're going to ask. I could have predicted it the moment I saw the patch. :)

I tried it out, didn't work on my ROM. I gave up pretty quickly after that, and moved it to my every growing "Icebox" of potential projects to tackle (which still includes Sega CD audio, haven't given up on that, just only so many hours in the day). I was hoping that if I just waited a bit, revisions would be made that would get it working better for me. If you (or anyone) knows anything about, or can help getting it working, I would love to!

On an unrelated note, doing the lines for the Rangers last night was gut-wrenching. It was way too easy, the new lines snapped together in obvious ways, and left a disgustingly good lineup on paper.

Wherever the @Sauce is right now, I hope he's feeling good!

Edited by AdamCatalyst
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

It's been 16 hours, I'm hoping you haven't perished! Updated ROM is live now. Will follow up later with notes, etc.

Thanks. I've been dying to play as Korpisalo

1 hour ago, AdamCatalyst said:

You a Kings fan?

I noticed you don't have Quinton Byfield on the Kings in any of the game versions you made. He is on the Kings first line and has played in 38 games, instead you have Lias Anderson who has only played 1 game for the Kings this year back in November. I Appreciate your work and yes I'm A kings fan.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PuckFace88 said:

I noticed you don't have Quinton Byfield on the Kings in any of the game versions you made. He is on the Kings first line and has played in 38 games, instead you have Lias Anderson who has only played 1 game for the Kings this year back in November. I Appreciate your work and yes I'm A kings fan.  

Thanks for letting me know. I will make sure I get him added in the next revision! 

• Love 1

Had a few more games.. Your rating system is truly fantastic, very finely tuned and balanced... for example, shots are nice & hard but to compensate not overly accurate.. the whole thing leads to a very fun and exciting gameplay experience

• Love 1

New to the group here.  How do I get updated NHL 94 rosters with this latest update?  I only have the sega cd version of nhl 94 so I'm assuming I'll need the cartridge form to do these updates?  Is there a way to buy the cartridge with the most current rosters?

Thank you!

Ronnie

49 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

New to the group here.  How do I get updated NHL 94 rosters with this latest update?  I only have the sega cd version of nhl 94 so I'm assuming I'll need the cartridge form to do these updates?  Is there a way to buy the cartridge with the most current rosters?

Thank you!

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie! Welcome to the cult. 

Our updates are typically played on emulators (PC, smartphone, modern console, other modern devices) or flash carts (which allow you to play on a Genesis via SD card).

If you want to play digitally: Emulation is free if you already have a compatible controller and device capable of running the program.

If you want a physical cart: Flash Carts are anywhere from $30 for cheap knockoffs to $100+ for the authentic high quality ones. Occasionally pirates will take work from sites like ours and sell real carts but they do not support our community so generally I’d recommend staying away and instead hunting for a flash cart (flash carts also store “unlimited” ROMs and you can update rosters in a matter of seconds). 

We have a Discord where people are able to help you set up emulators or hunt for equipment.

46 minutes ago, Sean said:

Hi Ronnie! Welcome to the cult. 

Our updates are typically played on emulators (PC, smartphone, modern console, other modern devices) or flash carts (which allow you to play on a Genesis via SD card).

If you want to play digitally: Emulation is free if you already have a compatible controller and device capable of running the program.

If you want a physical cart: Flash Carts are anywhere from $30 for cheap knockoffs to $100+ for the authentic high quality ones. Occasionally pirates will take work from sites like ours and sell real carts but they do not support our community so generally I’d recommend staying away and instead hunting for a flash cart (flash carts also store “unlimited” ROMs and you can update rosters in a matter of seconds). 

We have a Discord where people are able to help you set up emulators or hunt for equipment.

Ok great!  Thank you for welcoming me to the group!  :-)

I would be looking to play on original sega genesis hardware.  Can you point me in the right direction for a flash cart? Or provide the link?  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I would be looking to play on original sega genesis hardware.  Can you point me in the right direction for a flash cart? Or provide the link?  Thanks!

Welcome aboard!

If you can afford it, look for an authentic Mega Everdrive cart. Note that they come in different sizes, as some ROMs require a bigger capacity. This is not the overall storage capacity of how may games you can store on the cartridge, as I believe you supply an SD card for that. It has to do with how big a game it can load. If all you want to do is play NHL, I believe the smallest is fine, but note that some games would require the bigger cartridge. I'm sure there are much cheaper options than the Everdrive, but I've never heard anyone regret getting one.

p.s. I should say, I've never actually used one! I would definitely hit up that Discord to chat with people who like, have ACTUALLY bought and used one of those things. 

Edited by AdamCatalyst
forgot stuff
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, profit90 said:

Had a few more games.. Your rating system is truly fantastic, very finely tuned and balanced... for example, shots are nice & hard but to compensate not overly accurate.. the whole thing leads to a very fun and exciting gameplay experience

Thank-you so much! I really appreciate it. Spent so much time running tests and building formulas to try and arrive at that gameplay balance. Some days it's hard not to see all the flaws in your on work, and think of all the things you wish you can do better, so it's always nice to hear that your efforts to date haven't been in vain.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Get a Mega Everdrive x5 : https://krikzz.com/our-products/cartridges/mega-everdrive-x5.html

You can download ROMs (full games, with the updates already included) from this site and put them on the Everdrive cartridge.

The x5 will work for like 99.9% of Genesis games, but not crazy mods like the 40MB Sonic Delta mod..

If you want to play EVERYTHING (CD games?), there's the "PRO" but it's quadruple the cost.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Thank you!

Ronnie

Hey Ronnie,

Just to be clear the ROM here isn't an update exactly, it is the original ROM, already updated for your convenience. You can grab it, and try it out on any free emulator, right away! No "updating" required. If you are on a Mac, grab OpenEmu, if you are on another OS, I'm sure that there are lots more great options. 

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Hey Ronnie,

Just to be clear the ROM here isn't an update exactly, it is the original ROM, already updated for your convenience. You can grab it, and try it out on any free emulator, right away! No "updating" required. If you are on a Mac, grab OpenEmu, if you are on another OS, I'm sure that there are lots more great options. 

Okay thank you so much! :-)