NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94: 2023 Edition by Adam Catalyst

AdamCatalyst

Anyone ever noticed that when players sat in the penalty box, their entire lower body appeared to be sliced off!?!

Also, the implied light refraction on the top edge of the glass was shaded in reverse to how refraction looks.

NHL 94 - Screenshots - 7. Sideboards - Comp - 4x.png

• Love 1

Huh, I had noticed the box thing before. I'd fixed it on a couple games in the past by adding that one extra pixel to the top of the boards to fill the gap. Forget if I remembered to do it  in my last mods...

The glass edge completely slipped by unnoticed though ...until now. *grumble*

4 minutes ago, von Ozbourne said:

Huh, I had noticed the box thing before. I'd fixed it on a couple games in the past by adding that one extra pixel to the top of the boards to fill the gap. Forget if I remembered to do it  in my last mods...

The glass edge completely slipped by unnoticed though ...until now. *grumble*

You can still un-notice the refraction thing! It’s not too late! No normal human being will ever see it or care!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, smozoma said:

Get a Mega Everdrive x5 : https://krikzz.com/our-products/cartridges/mega-everdrive-x5.html

You can download ROMs (full games, with the updates already included) from this site and put them on the Everdrive cartridge.

The x5 will work for like 99.9% of Genesis games, but not crazy mods like the 40MB Sonic Delta mod..

If you want to play EVERYTHING (CD games?), there's the "PRO" but it's quadruple the cost.

100%. Very happy with the mega everdrive x5.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, njwac said:

Is this available as a physical cartridge to buy?

For playing on a cartridge, I recommend buying a Mega Everdrive X5, which is a cartridge that can store thousands of games on it via SD card (so you'll also need an SD card writer). 

9 hours ago, njwac said:

Is this available as a physical cartridge to buy?

If you do see someone selling a cartridge online, note that it is probably an outdated version, and the seller would be profiting from the work of many people here, as well as by re-selling EA's intellectual property.

I'm not against people writing themselves a copy on a cartridge for personal use, and I'll even go so far as to make a matching custom label if someone wants to source a low-yield manufacturer to make themselves a cartridge. But I highly recommend following @smozoma's advice to look at an Mega Everdrive X5 instead. There's always another update, another great variation to try, why settle down with just one ROM hack?

• Love 1

Thanks for the replies.

I have the original EA Hockey (MegaDrive version) in pristine condition and the updated 94 version would have sat nicely next to this on my display cabinet. I have seen a title Tanglewood that got a physical release. Could you not approach EA for the rights? I am sure it would sell loads! It is an awesome what you have done and created with the game.

I am still seeking a mint copy of the original 94 version but to no avail.

Cheers, Nick.

37 minutes ago, njwac said:

Thanks for the replies.

I have the original EA Hockey (MegaDrive version) in pristine condition and the updated 94 version would have sat nicely next to this on my display cabinet. I have seen a title Tanglewood that got a physical release. Could you not approach EA for the rights? I am sure it would sell loads! It is an awesome what you have done and created with the game.

I am still seeking a mint copy of the original 94 version but to no avail.

Cheers, Nick.

The idea of making physical copies has come up many times over the years, but no one has ever shown that they went ahead with it, or reported that they found a good supplier for making customs. We have seen the occasional hardcopy pop up on ebay or in retro game stores, but we don't know who made them.

Having hardcopy updates to display with our collections would be cool, but once money gets involved, things get complicated :). Also EA is still selling NHL'94-based works, such as the "NHL'94 Rewind" update that's available on the XBox and Playstation stores, so we would be in competition with them, which their lawyers would love I'm sure, hehe. So personally I'm a lot more comfortable sticking to sharing the updates for free on this website. Getting money involved might also create tension between the different ROM creators on here who might become hesitant to share their techniques and discoveries.

• Like 1

Mikey had plans to make custom carts for a live tournament, and seemed to have an affordable supplier lined up, but in the end that event never happened.

On 3/23/2023 at 3:56 PM, smozoma said:

So personally I'm a lot more comfortable sticking to sharing the updates for free on this website. Getting money involved might also create tension between the different ROM creators on here who might become hesitant to share their techniques and discoveries.

Couldn't agree more.

When I stumbled upon this place, I was take aback that modified ROMs were being shared for free! I'm used to only circulating delta patches (or similar), in order to stay on the right side of copyright. But in the case of many of these ROMs, even a delta patch would contain copyright or trademarked materials. The way I see it, I can only do this work because EA, the NHL, the NHLPA, and others haven't bothered to send me a cease and desist. And even if those rights holders never took notice, it wouldn't be ethical for me personally to profit from the IP of others without any kind of licensing agreement in place. Besides, *free* is a magical price. It lowers the barrier to entry. It severely limits any legal damages. And as you pointed out, it incentivizes co-operative spirit. 

• Thanks 1

I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to order the mega drive x5 so I can download your ROM.  But I plan to take the plunge this weekend and hope to be up and running soon!  :-)

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewB said:

His/your(AdamCatalyst)  NHL rom is awesome.

Ugh... if only these talented minds could find a way to add Season Mode, stats, create, etc (like 95 and beyond) into NHL 94.

Thanks for your kind words.

I struggle enough as it is for the few little changes I make. Implementing a season mode, stats, etc. is orders of magnitude beyond what I could broach. I honestly think it would be easier from someone to develop a platform that did all that on its own, and used an embedded ROM for gameplay, rather than pushing the original to go that far.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

I honestly think it would be easier from someone to develop a platform that did all that on its own, and used an embedded ROM for gameplay, rather than pushing the original to go that far.

I've thought about the exact same thing. If you built a standalone season/dynasty program that creates a schedule and gives you the option of playing/simming the game by jumping to a save state matchup where you can take it from there... the issue is creating that save state AFTER you've finished the game and extracting the stats to go back into the program and fill out the necessary tables to track the season stats.

I've thought a lot about it, tbh...

• Like 1

They've done this with Pro Evolution Soccer... some guy created a companion app (incomplete at the moment) which runs on the side (he called it 'MatchUp')... it's a GUI interface (which sits in the background when playing the actual game) that creates a save file for PES and once the game is played inside PES it pulls the result in... Such an interface would need to offer a way of simulating results accurately and realistically however. But the possibilities of creating seasons/tournaments etc are endless. Like a full management sim but with the gameplay of the classic we all know and love

Edited by profit90
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, profit90 said:

They've done this with Pro Evolution Soccer... some guy created a companion app (incomplete at the moment) which runs on the side (he called it 'MatchUp')... it's a GUI interface (which sits in the background when playing the actual game) that creates a save file for PES and once the game is played inside PES it pulls the result in... Such an interface would need to offer a way of simulating results accurately and realistically however. But the possibilities of creating seasons/tournaments etc are endless. Like a full management sim but with the gameplay of the classic we all know and love

Wow big PES fan here, since the very first release in SNES to the PS2 glory days. Nowadays I stick to Winning Eleven 2002/PES 2 for PS1, tons of mods every year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, profit90 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking! It could be done, it's just figuring out how to do an auto save to pull stats from that I don't know about.

I'm sure if I mapped out my thoughts to make more of a cohesive design doc, a programmer could give me some more insights on the technical aspects.

HAY... CHATGPT, DO MY HOMEWORK FOR ME PLEASE

5 hours ago, Deckard said:

Wow big PES fan here, since the very first release in SNES to the PS2 glory days. Nowadays I stick to Winning Eleven 2002/PES 2 for PS1, tons of mods every year.

Any way you can give me more info on PES - a more appropriate place so to not muddy this thread up?

6 hours ago, Drezz said:

That's exactly what I was thinking! It could be done, it's just figuring out how to do an auto save to pull stats from that I don't know about.

I'm sure if I mapped out my thoughts to make more of a cohesive design doc, a programmer could give me some more insights on the technical aspects.

Honestly, if someone can figure that one out and make it open source, you’re looking at the next frontier of modding for not just NHL94 but retro sports gaming overall. No reason it can be applied to all the classics of the past (TecmoSB, RBI, PES, etc).

It would need a robust algorithm to do the simulator part of the management sim.. Something like you see at https://www.whatifsports.com/nhl/ (pretty realistic yet random sim results)

The possibilities are endless. Setting up custom seasons/tournaments structures…. Even a scenario mode where you make a game 4-1 going into the 2nd/3rd period for more of a challenge. Pretty much anything.

MatchUP! was a just a proof of concept, but it went pretty far in a short time, and just one guy (pretty impressive)

https://pespatchs.com/2021/09/pes-2021-matchup-new-game-mode-option-file-editor.html

21 hours ago, Drezz said:

I'm literally thinking of checking out ChatGPT once the season is done, to see if it can help me wrangle data, or script some other solutions to make modding easier.

21 hours ago, AndrewB said:

Any way you can give me more info on PES - a more appropriate place so to not muddy this thread up?

Yeah sure thing, send me a private message

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 2:11 PM, smozoma said:

Get a Mega Everdrive x5 : https://krikzz.com/our-products/cartridges/mega-everdrive-x5.html

You can download ROMs (full games, with the updates already included) from this site and put them on the Everdrive cartridge.

The x5 will work for like 99.9% of Genesis games, but not crazy mods like the 40MB Sonic Delta mod..

If you want to play EVERYTHING (CD games?), there's the "PRO" but it's quadruple the cost.

Finally ordered the Mega Everdrive X5 from Krikzz!  How long does it usually take to deliver to the U.S.?

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Finally ordered the Mega Everdrive X5 from Krikzz!  How long does it usually take to deliver to the U.S.?

20-35 days according to their site (20-45 for Canada... why the extra 10??)

• Love 1

3 hours ago, smozoma said:

20-35 days according to their site (20-45 for Canada... why the extra 10??)

Craziness!  Oh well at least I have the original NHL 94 on sega cd to tide me over.  :-)

• Like 1

Hey folks, just an FYI that the Playoff Edition (version 4.0) is ready and posted! I will update all the documentation tomorrow, for now I just wanted to get it out there. As always, please let me know about any errors, oversights, or suggestions to make it better! Not done yet, at least one more version this (post) season.