NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94: 2023 Edition by Adam Catalyst

AdamCatalyst

12 minutes ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Однажды вам нужно будет это сделать.:)

Кто знает когда если был бы рядом компьютер я бы это зделал но увы

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 5:35 PM, Ronnie said:

Craziness!  Oh well at least I have the original NHL 94 on sega cd to tide me over.  :-)

I really want to learn how to mod that one!!! Love the extra smoothness of the better frame rate on the SCD version.

Yeeesh. Discovered another error in who I gave home ice advantage too. Fixed now. Plus all the non-playoff team updates are done as well. Barring any unforeseen issues, this should now be the final v4.x. Will take a break before starting the final version to be released on the eve of the finals.

Updated version posted.

FYI, new version posted. On the first post as always.

---

2023 04 30 - Version 4.3

“Be-Leaf” Edition…

Rosters, Ratings, Lines, etc
- TOR: Matthew Knies added, TOR Lines & Ratings updated.

In-Play
- Sprites: Goalies had minor graphics error fixed.

Rink
Graphics: Audience design & animation refined.
Graphics: Instant Replay Controller graphic revised.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Hey folks,

I released a minor update the other day, and I am increasingly thinking that I will not do a version 5.0 this year. I've already started the 2024 Edition, and want to keep my focus there, as I have a lot of experiments to do before I can begin implementing some of the changes I have in mind. I will continue to make minor updates for any egregious errors or bugs in version 4.x, so please let me know if you spot any.

As for 2024, if you have any wishes, complaints, ideas, questions, etc. now is the time! With your help, we can make it the best ever.

cheers,

-Adam

Edited by AdamCatalyst

"As for 2024, if you have any wishes, complaints, ideas, questions, etc. now is the time! With your help, we can make it the best ever." Just a few "hopes and dreams" (if possible):

Obviously this takes skill, talent, and time. I like things you have in your to-do list. But, you asked.

1) Is a third alternate jersey option available (ala Von Ozbourne, et al) beside the traditional Home and Away? So, 3 jersey options?

2) I really like on Sean's NCAA Tampa how the center-ice logo is flipped 90 degrees to have it look like a television game. Anyone else?

3) More home team colors in the stands. For example, Detroit at home could be 90% red shirted fans.

4) Another wish off the top of my head is, and I realize it's a 30-year tradition, make it possible to have just one other celebration after a goal... e.g. Line that scored the goal hitting gloves down the bench. The traditional one is getting a bit old.

5) There really should be fighting. I don't know if that's possible.

6) The other thing is, for the history of EA Hockey, goalies have a big ratings difference. My personal opinion, every G should be rated between at least 80 (?) and most 92 (?).

Hope and dreams.  I welcome differences of opinion. Great game, as always! I'll play it as long as you make it.

2 hours ago, AndrewB said:

"As for 2024, if you have any wishes, complaints, ideas, questions, etc. now is the time! With your help, we can make it the best ever." Just a few "hopes and dreams" (if possible):

Obviously this takes skill, talent, and time. I like things you have in your to-do list. But, you asked.

1) Is a third alternate jersey option available (ala Von Ozbourne, et al) beside the traditional Home and Away? So, 3 jersey options?

2) I really like on Sean's NCAA Tampa how the center-ice logo is flipped 90 degrees to have it look like a television game. Anyone else?

3) More home team colors in the stands. For example, Detroit at home could be 90% red shirted fans.

4) Another wish off the top of my head is, and I realize it's a 30-year tradition, make it possible to have just one other celebration after a goal... e.g. Line that scored the goal hitting gloves down the bench. The traditional one is getting a bit old.

5) There really should be fighting. I don't know if that's possible.

6) The other thing is, for the history of EA Hockey, goalies have a big ratings difference. My personal opinion, every G should be rated between at least 80 (?) and most 92 (?).

Hope and dreams.  I welcome differences of opinion. Great game, as always! I'll play it as long as you make it.

Awesome, thanks for sharing all this! While I doubt I will get to most of these, it's really helpful to have a list like this when I'm inevitably trying to prioritize things. Will circle back to this as I go.

As for #6, interesting. My issue with that, is that it only leaves 12 different grades to apply to ~100 goaltenders, which for me personally is just too low resolution. It's a really fine line between their being too much contrast between the best and the worst, and two little differentiation between the same. That being said, I agree with you in principle, that the goalie ratings / quality could be compressed for a higher baseline. I will definitely be experimenting with this.

BTW, you and my fiancee both want those third jerseys.

1 hour ago, AdamCatalyst said:

As for #6, interesting. My issue with that, is that it only leaves 12 different grades to apply to ~100 goaltenders, which for me personally is just too low resolution. It's a really fine line between their being too much contrast between the best and the worst, and two little differentiation between the same. That being said, I agree with you in principle, that the goalie ratings / quality could be compressed for a higher baseline. I will definitely be experimenting with this.

Maybe I should have stated that better. Not ALL Goalies, now that you mention it.

The only way to do it, maybe, is have all 1st string Gs 80-??, 2nd string Gs 70-79, 3rd string Gs 60-69. Or something along those ratings. Obviously, starting Gs change, so more work and updates would be needed. Plus, that's a lot of detail for you to look at.

I can see where you would be hurting a player's true-life rating, though, like in BOS.

Ahhh, never mind.

14 hours ago, AndrewB said:

Of the items that AndrewB mentioned that I like and are doable (which there are too few of, unfortunately), this is the one that has actually irked me for years.  It would take a fair amount of artistry but all of the center-ice logos should be turned 90 degrees.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Dopefish said:

Of the items that AndrewB mentioned that I like and are doable (which there are too few of, unfortunately), this is the one that has actually irked me for years.  It would take a fair amount of artistry but all of the center-ice logos should be turned 90 degrees.  

Oh man, even thinking about re-drawing or adjusting those logos fatigues me. But I should just implement the rotation, and see what it looks like! Will put that on the list of experiments to try.

10 hours ago, AndrewB said:

Maybe I should have stated that better. Not ALL Goalies, now that you mention it.

The only way to do it, maybe, is have all 1st string Gs 80-??, 2nd string Gs 70-79, 3rd string Gs 60-69. Or something along those ratings. Obviously, starting Gs change, so more work and updates would be needed. Plus, that's a lot of detail for you to look at.

I can see where you would be hurting a player's true-life rating, though, like in BOS.

Ahhh, never mind.

Ahh, I hear ya. Yeah, as you write, you are figuring out all the things that end up happening. :) One of my goals this year was to update player rating way less dramatically from version to version, and part of doing that was improving my rating system so that it wasn't so biased towards playing opportunities and current stats. I wanted to be able to have goalies rated so well, that I could reasonably predict which backups would fare well with more starts, and which would not. For instance, I'm proud to say that my first '23 version had Akira Schmid, Pyotr Kochetkov, & Fillip Gustavsson rated within a few points of their respective starters. I also had Skinner rated higher than Campbell, despite Campbell being the starter at the time I did that first roster. You can probably throw a dart at my ratings spreadsheet to find examples of where I got this wrong though.

As an aside, for me goalies are *way* easier to rate than skaters. Advanced analytics for goalies just seem to be more accurate predictors or real world performance, and map more easily onto the '94 rating system.

All that being said, I refuse to accept your "never mind." I  still think that you're communicating a valuable sentiment about the range, and I agree with you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 8:24 AM, AdamCatalyst said:

Oh man, even thinking about re-drawing or adjusting those logos fatigues me. But I should just implement the rotation, and see what it looks like! Will put that on the list of experiments to try.

One quick[ish] way to do it would be that after you've changed the hex values for the rotation, is to just go to your logos in TM, isolate each one with a 6w x 4h window, use Select All to "load" the sprites, then change the size of the window to 4w x 6h [making sure that the offset didn't change, I find it does that sometimes at random] use the rotate button to rotate your logo 90°, then click off in the empty space to "unload" the logo sprite and you're done.

Well, one anyway.

You'll need to repeat that a few more times.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BlueJacketRebel said:

Enjoying the game play AC

Thanks man! Watching your clip, I’m so happy with how the new nets turned out. I feel like that’s about as close as I can get to the design of the current NHL net. Or at least it will be, when I make the chipped paint on the outside bottom of the posts a bit more obvious…

15 hours ago, von Ozbourne said:

One quick[ish] way to do it would be that after you've changed the hex values for the rotation, is to just go to your logos in TM, isolate each one with a 6w x 4h window, use Select All to "load" the sprites, then change the size of the window to 4w x 6h [making sure that the offset didn't change, I find it does that sometimes at random] use the rotate button to rotate your logo 90°, then click off in the empty space to "unload" the logo sprite and you're done.

Well, one anyway.

You'll need to repeat that a few more times.

Got it, thanks!

12 minutes ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Got it, thanks!

If you want to add a center line and dot, I have some files for a .PSD template as well.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sean said:

If you want to add a center line and dot, I have some files for a .PSD template as well.

Thanks for letting me know. I'd be happy to receive any resources you wanted to share over PM!

2023 05 14 - Version 4.4

“Final” Edition.

Should be the last planned update of this (post) season

Rosters
- Player Names: Some long names (less than 1%) of players contracted to be shorter. This fixes some cosmetic glitches that were occurring.

Lines & Ratings, etc
- TOR: Minor updates. Major grieving.

Available on the first post as always.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FYI people buying repro carts even knowing they can get it free for emulators

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nhl94/posts/10159453453287844/

Maybe the modders here might want to work together to source a cartridge printer who can make some batches of these things to sell for less than the ~USD$50 (incl shipping)  or at least get a cut.

Or make a deal with the printer so they send you a cut

• Like 1