NHL'94 Forums

GENS Poll: How many games would you like to play next season?

Evan

GENS Game Count For Spring 2007  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How many games would you like to play next season?

• More

Hey guys,

We want to get an idea on how many games guys would like to play next season. We will pick the most popular game counts from this poll so please vote if you plan on being in the Spring 2007 leagues.

Thanks, and feel free to post in this topic with comments.

-Evan

Guest cr0ssbar94
About 50 is good with players that want to play

The less games, the better. I voted for 10.

The regular season is...how can I put this nicely...oh yeah: f**king MEANINGLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

kgboy admitted he tanked the regular season. Let me put that in another way: He basically looked at the regular season as a JOKE while players like myself took it seriously. And for what? Where did my great regular season get me? A 1st round SWEEP to kgboy, who laughs at the regular season and had a 15-25 record to my 29-10 record (no dis to kgboy, just using it as a prime example).

We all have busy lives as it is anyway. Lets face the facts: The regular season is pointless. Absolutely POINTLESS. Home ice means NOTHING. And practically EVERY team makes the playoffs.

The problem is, you cant limit the number of teams that make the playoffs. Lets say only 8 teams made the playoffs this year. The other teams who are WAY out are going to just say "Hey, I'm not making the playoffs...why should I waste my time finishing the season?" and not play. On the flip side, you can do it like it was done this year (where every team practically, makes the playoffs)...but then a new problem arises, like players who DONT GIVE A s**t, dont try to win because "whats the point, I'm making the playoffs regardless?!", then "turn it on" in the playoffs. Rendering the regular season a joke.

The best thing to do is have the LEAST amount of games as possible. Cut the crap, have a little season for small bragging rights about division wins, and get on to the real deal as soon as you can.

I vote 10 games. I urge all to do the same. A 10 game season also means every game has meaning. As it was the past regular season did not mean a damn thing, with 40 games. Adding even more games would only make things worse.

Guest BSDaemon
The regular season is...how can I put this nicely...oh yeah: f**king MEANINGLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B)

We all have busy lives as it is anyway. Lets face the facts: The regular season is pointless. Absolutely POINTLESS. Home ice means NOTHING. And practically EVERY team makes the playoffs.

I vote 40. 40 was a good number.

cr0ssbar: you forgot to put "in my opinion" at the end of that first statement, and you accidentily claimed the regular season being meaningless as a fact, which of course, it isnt.

I vote 40. 40 was a good number.

cr0ssbar: you forgot to put "in my opinion" at the end of that first statement, and you accidentily claimed the regular season being meaningless as a fact, which of course, it isnt.

Also, ten games means you probably play everyone in your conference once and maybe one team from the other conference.

Make it fair - weighted round-robin. You play every team once then you play an extra game against each team in your division. For this season, it would have meant 22 games in GENS and 20 in SNES.

40 is more of a fair number though, because with the low amount of teams, the bottom teams can start bad but make a good run midseason. With less games, if you don't do well at the beginning of the season, a mid-season surge has less of a chance of helping you because with ten games, dropping your first four would hurt you badly. With 40 games, dropping your first four is nothing because you can still finish at the top. Less games means more people will tank the season if they start off bad, because they know that unless they basically get a miracle. Also, with 10-20 games, teams come into effect and parity drops. Mediocre players who get gifted with Boston and Chicago and Pittsburgh will be more likely to absolutely steamroll through the season, and while guys like kgman might bring up lower-rated teams a bit, the top teams will usually be the same: Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, et al.

This is why I want relegation - ideally, the worst two teams move down a level and the best two teams (either the champion and the runner up or the champion and the winner of the Presidents' Trophy) move up a level. This means that you can't tank the season if you want to stay in A and try and strut your stuff, because if you tank the season you get relegated and to get back to A you have to be the champion or runner up. Plus, if a team draft is instated, then it would provide incentive for teams to, while tanking the season, try and stay out of the bottom two to four (depending on the amount of teams getting relegated that year) yet stay barely above it if you have a bad team, so that when next season comes up you get a high pick. So you can go and tank games but if you see that you're getting dangerously close to the guy in second-to-last, you have an incentive to start playing. At the same time, people in the bottom two will have an incentive to play even if they won't make the playoffs if they want to stay in the top league.

• 1 month later...

19 games. Play every team once...

or...

the higher or more competitive the league, the more games you could schedule....like I wouldn't want to play 80 games...just too much in my opinion but other people might want different

The less games, the better. I voted for 10.

The regular season is...how can I put this nicely...oh yeah: f**king MEANINGLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

kgboy admitted he tanked the regular season. Let me put that in another way: He basically looked at the regular season as a JOKE while players like myself took it seriously. And for what? Where did my great regular season get me? A 1st round SWEEP to kgboy, who laughs at the regular season and had a 15-25 record to my 29-10 record (no dis to kgboy, just using it as a prime example).

The problem is, you cant limit the number of teams that make the playoffs. Lets say only 8 teams made the playoffs this year. The other teams who are WAY out are going to just say "Hey, I'm not making the playoffs...why should I waste my time finishing the season?" and not play. On the flip side, you can do it like it was done this year (where every team practically, makes the playoffs)...but then a new problem arises, like players who DONT GIVE A s**t, dont try to win because "whats the point, I'm making the playoffs regardless?!", then "turn it on" in the playoffs. Rendering the regular season a joke.

The best thing to do is have the LEAST amount of games as possible. Cut the crap, have a little season for small bragging rights about division wins, and get on to the real deal as soon as you can.

I vote 10 games. I urge all to do the same. A 10 game season also means every game has meaning. As it was the past regular season did not mean a damn thing, with 40 games. Adding even more games would only make things worse.

Good point. But i think the reason this site is runnng is because there are so many dedicated NHL 94 players that love playing the game. That's probably why most people are voting for 40 games. I voted for 30 because i don't wanna play ONLY 10 regular season games.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted for 50 games. For all of you that have met me, I am one of the guys that tends to stay up til 3am to get in practice games, so I'm all up for making those 15 games per night count for something.

• 1 month later...

I voted for more then 50. I love to play this game and to sit and play 10 games in a row is no problem. I noticed somewhere that you said that if you are a first time player that you could only be in a 20 game leauge and i would love to be able to play in a much bigger leauge.

40-ish is good

I like the regular season.

If we have a problem with players slacking off in the regular season, then maybe we can spot the top-seeded teams a game in the first round of the playoffs (since home ice advantage isn't an advantage), so the higher-ranked team only needs to win 3 games while the lower-ranked team needs to win 4 (the more I think about this idea.. the more I like it).