NHL'94 Forums

GENS B: DET vs. VAN playoff recap GM 1 & 2

gesundheit39

Detroit, Michigan - It was a hard fought series through five games that saw the Detroit Red WIngs upset chances evaporate within moments in the final two games. "In some ways its obviously frustrating because we blew it, but on another level...no nevermind it sucks anyway you look at it," commented goalie Tim Cheveldae.

Cheveldae was the reason his team stole game 1 of the series. Despite giving up a 5-on-3 power play early in the first period, Vancouver was stifled time and again by hit posts, and acrobatic saves by Cheveldae.

"I was playing out of my mind, it was incredible! I think someone might have given me an enhancing spell or something," noted Cheveldae. "Don't listen to him," chimed in team jokester Shawn Burr. "He's been playing a lot of RPG video games like Dungeon Siege lately, so he doesn't have the best sense of reality right now." Detroit rode two second period goals to a 2-0 victory for the game 1 victory.

Game 2 saw Vancouver switch its lineup and insert Trevor Linden to turn around the offense. Linden did just that as he scored all of the team's five goals in a 5-0 win to tie the series up.

"I think he was wearing the ring of power which gave him +2 strength, and also the Amulet of Ambiguity which confuses opponents within a 20 foot radius," remarked Cheveldae. "Just stop talking already," responded Burr, "I'm going to buy you NHL2007 for Christmas so you stop all this funny talk!"

When asked about Linden's performance, coach Scotty Bowman muttered under his breath something about Linden taking performance enhancing drugs and then stomped off. Thirtieth line center Jim Hiller commented though, "I'm not going to make any accusations, but he did seem to have a lot of pimples on the back of his neck." Added Burr, "But I heard his wife was quite 'displeased' with the side effects and made him stop, haha. Guess that's why he was normal the rest of the series."

Linden responded to the comments by punching a wall.