NHL'94 Forums

GENS B: DET vs. VAN playoff recap GM 3 & 4

gesundheit39

Detroit, Michigan - An unlikely hero stepped up for Detroit in game 3. Yves "Don't Call me Frenchy" Racine scored two quick goals, the first on a sweet deke move through the Vancouver defense, and the second off a rebound of a Steve Yzerman shot. Yzerman then dished to Ray Sheppard for the third goal and Yzerman's third assist, and Detroit had a 3-0 lead less than two minutes into the game.

"Yzerman has great vision," remarked coach Bowman. "Yea, when Stevie is dishing the puck out like that, we tell him we love to eat at the Y," chuckled Burr. "Why are you all laughing?" responded the apprently naive Yzerman. "Are you trying to tell me I should pass more or invite you all over for dinner?" asked Yzerman, upon which the entire team broke out into uncontrollable laughter.

After a Vancouver goal got them within two, Dino Ciccarelli was a man on a mission to restore the lead to three. With the puck in Vancouver's zone, Ciccarelli checked down two Canucks, retrieved the puck from along the boards headed for the net, shrugged off a check by Jyrke Lumme and rifled a wrist-shot past Kirk McLean, as Detroit won game three 4-1.

"If Linden was on drugs for his performance, shouldn't Ciccarelli be tested as well," accused McLean. "No way," said Brad "Foot In Mouth" McCrimmon. "I've seen him in the shower, there is no way he takes steroids! Oh wait, you aren't going to print this are you?"

"Besides," noted Burr, "getting checked by Lumme is the equivalent of feeling a nice warm breeze on a sunny spring afternoon."

Game 4 saw the start of a trend that would eventually prove to be the Red Wings downfall, giving up early goals. Vancouver took a quick 2-0 lead in the first. But Detroit was not dismayed as they quickly knotted the game back up at 2-2 before the Canucks found the net again to take a 3-2 lead after one period.

The Canucks started to play very sloppily though after taking a 4-2 lead, and took a series of three penalties that gave Detroit an extended 5-on-3 power play. Yzerman made the most of it with a pair or power play goals giving him a hat trick. Shortly after the power play ended, Yzerman notched his fourth goal and Detroit held on for a 5-4 win and a commanding 3-1 series lead.

"I just want to thank my teammates, my mom, my wife, my kids and God for giving me the strength to carry our team in a time of need," said Yzerman. "You can tell Steve has been around awhile because he's mastered a bunch of cliches that originated in 1982," said Burr. "But since he doesn't look any different than he did back then, it's not too surprising to hear the same things come out of his mouth"