NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2023 [94] by Jkline3 and von Ozbourne

von Ozbourne

I guess I'll start with the obvious. "What? But you two don't do NHL stuff!" True, normally we leave that to the other guys, but admittedly we started this project when it seemed that there was going to be no updated NHL ROM for this season. And admittedly it took us a while to complete, since you know, life stuff. But to whip out a tired old cliche; At the end of the day, we figured that third place was okay too, and we had gone in a different enough direction that this is more a companion piece to the other great updates that @AdamCatalyst and @seamor have released while we were dillydallying. To that end, @Jkline3 and I would like to submit:

NHL 2023 Reverse Retro '94 Edition
image.png

Defining Characteristics:

• Every team is geared up to use their Reverse Retro uniforms.
  • Alternate uniforms are given preference when opportunity presents itself for whichever uniform is not the RR.
  • Team Select screen features Reverse Retro logos with uniform background.
  • image.png  image.png
  • The Team Select screen also features art changes like new "Home" and "Away" banners with colour sections adapted to the team's uniform colour.
  • Trade Deadline Edition features a new background with a special thanks to @Drezz
  • And some new branding and adverting for the community.
  • New player sprites for more versatility and accuracy in how team uniforms are presented.
    image.png  image.png
    Might have to fix that ref staring off...
  • Every player gets a player photo. From the first line cover athlete to the obscure third line winger.
    image.png  image.png
  • Logos and fonts also got an update too.
  • So. Many. Photos....
    EVERYONE.png
    Was originally even going to try the colour photo trick, but the team photographers were so wildly inconsistent that this proved a fools errand.
  • Presentation brought to you by:
    image.png  image.png
  • Ray gives his pre-game analysis of newly minted Islander Bo Horvat [rosters updated as of 01 Feb, 2023]
       I keep wanting to call that place USB Arena...
  • Main menu lineup scrolling has been expanded to allow viewing of the entire roster. And all those damn pictures.
    image.png  image.png
  • In addition to guys going to their new teams, we'll say "several" players also got some colour adjustments to their photos.
    image.png
  • Player benches reduced to original size so no coach, but kept the goalie and grey rubber floor.
  • Some teams had to use some creativity to get the on-ice logos to look right.
  • Team banners got flashy new fonts too.
    image.png  image.png
  • Zamboni repainted with modern EA logo. ... same Cup though.
  • Probably a bunch of other minor things that I don't recall anymore.

Under the hood stuff:

• Original custom player attribute stats based on NHL23 updates.
  • Weight bug fix is applied.
  • SmozROM Ratings consistency fix - player ratings will match hot/cold overall.
  • Freeze Bug applied so no player stats and player name on second line.
  • User Records set to "ON" can still cause crashes with Vegas, Washington and Winnipeg so caution is advised.
  • Tighter puck collision on boards and net making for pucks that hit closer to the boards sprites and a slighter smaller scoring area on the nets.
  • Expanded goalie roaming area. Go out to the edge of the trapezoid out to the faceoff dots to cut down the angle.
  • Goalie can also carry the puck out to the blue line before the automatic whistle. [if play isn't blown for holding the puck too long]
  • *NEW* Goalie Y-button control hack applied.
  • *NEW* Edit Lines hack for any player to play at any position.
    image.png  image.png
  • The three stars calculator hack didn't seem to play nice in our games, so we left it out. Might revisit it in an update if it seems like it needs fixing.
    image.pngimage.png
  • Glass still breaks [okay, it's just been a long time since I've managed to break the glass, so I'm just balancing the space and keeping a shot for posterity.]

Probably forgetting something... well let us know if I missed some info or credits. Hope you all enjoy it.

• Ah. Remembered what it was. Went through and made sure that every possible divisional home and away matchup was possible in playoff mode.

image.pngNHL2023 RR94 Ed - V1.0.bin

image.pngNHL2023 RR94 Trade Deadline Ed.bin

image.pngNHL2023 - 94 Edition TD.bin

image.pngNHL2023 RR94 Playoffs Ed [v3].bin

image.pngNHL2023 94 Edition PO [v3].bin

image.pngNHL 2023 RR94 SC Finals Ed [v4].bin

image.pngNHL 2023 94 Edition SCF [v4].bin

Edited by von Ozbourne
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Nice!!!!!!! Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow!

I love seeing all the different ways that people approach the same thing. So many great ideas. I can tell I’m going to try to pick your brain on one of them already.

Congrats to both of you in getting this out there!

DUDES... LOVE IT.

From the fancy banners to the reverse retro jerseys and the little things... that's what makes a good ROM. The things you discover while playing make these ROM hacks so much fun to play through.

image.png

I LOVE the look of these. SO CLEAN and MODERN

One problem. :lol:Montreal is probably going to lose EVERY game wearing the powder blues (They've worn them about 7-8 times already and lost each time) so that jersey is CURSED!

Edited by Drezz
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Drezz said:

DUDES... LOVE IT.

From the fancy banners to the reverse retro jerseys and the little things... that's what makes a good ROM. The things you discover while playing make these ROM hacks so much fun to play through.

image.png

I LOVE the look of these. SO CLEAN and MODERN

Totally agree. 100. It’s such a joy to go in and play and discover those little touches.

• Like 1

• von Ozbourne changed the title to NHL 2023 [94] by Jkline3 and von Ozbourne
On 2/2/2023 at 1:19 AM, von Ozbourme said:

Was originally even going to try the colour photo trick, but the team photographers were so wildly inconsistent that this proved a fools errand.

Yup! Seriously, the single best thing you can do to keep your sanity is homogeny them as black & white. Great job with this, good consistent look! I'm blown away that you were able to put in every single player. Seriously, I need to ask you about whatever black magic you fellas are using! 

BTW, I love the theme of this one. 

22 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

May I ask, how did you guys do that Stars of the Game icon in that arrangement? I could really use that insight right about now. :)

I think since we decided we weren't fans of the coach, eliminating him gave us a few extra tiles.
I think the three stars logo has a 6 wide, 4 high configuration. It uses a vertical mirroring with that middle star offset up one row.

I'll see if I can find my references tomorrow when I have more time and put something together.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2023 at 9:45 PM, AdamCatalyst said:

...able to put in every single player.

Now that I do know I have the info for. I should have PM'd you the results. I'll have to put together something that can be copied and pasted into the default ROM at some point.

• Like 1

Alright. Time to get this one out the door.

The Trade Deadline has come and past, so it's about time this update was posted.
image.png

New to this version:

• Updated rosters obviously.
  • Revamped Title screen for more colours and nicer artwork.
  • All players can play at any position, so go ahead and put five forwards on the PP or five D-men on the checking line.
  • Goalie Y-button hack has finally been applied.
  • New Menu BG [shout out to the amazing @Drezz] Including some branding.

image.pngimage.png

Probably forgetting a couple things, or forgot to fix a couple things... Those can wait for the playoffs.
Let me know if something is egregiously wrong. [or if you have any suggestions for future updates too]

Updated the original post as well.

NHL2023 RR94 Trade Deadline Ed.bin

Edited by von Ozbourne
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1
  • Wow 2

6 minutes ago, Sedge said:

That's the pregame background from the original NHL Hockey, isn't it? That looks amazing as a menu background here.

It is!?!?!

[goes and checks it out]

OK, clearly I have never played NHL 92! NHLPA '93 was my first. I've got to go back these to see if there are any other elements that can be adapted. That background looks so much better as the menu background than it did in the pre-game, IMHO.

• Thanks 1

It's been a blast lately hopping on here and seeing all the new discoveries that people are making and watching them get incorporated into new roms.

Also happy to see how generous everyone has been sharing their discoveries and allowing them to be used elsewhere. Thank you!

• Love 1

On 3/16/2023 at 4:21 PM, Jkline3 said:

It's been a blast lately hopping on here and seeing all the new discoveries that people are making and watching them get incorporated into new roms.

Also happy to see how generous everyone has been sharing their discoveries and allowing them to be used elsewhere. Thank you!

:red_heart:

Well, it's Playoff Time. There's a bit of a surprise rolled into this one as it's a two-for-one.

image.png  image.png
For those of you who prefer the look of the regular uniforms.

Other changes present in this/these edition[s] include:

Regular logos for the '94 Edition
image.png

An evolution of the watermarked backgrounds.
Original
image.png

Changed for the Trade Deadline version.
image.png

Playoff Edition mixing the old and new.
image.png

And a few other slight changes like new ref face off animation.
Faceoff.gif

• Not as many as for the Trade Deadline Edition, but few new players made the cut.
  • New lines accurate to the first few games of the Playoffs, or in the case of teams that didn't make it, some changes as per final regular season rosters.

Updated original post as well.

NHL2023 RR94 Playoffs Ed [v3].bin

NHL2023 94 Edition PO [v3].bin

Edited by von Ozbourne
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1