NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2023 [94] by Jkline3 and von Ozbourne

von Ozbourne

OK, so the other night, my fiancee and I are sitting on the couch, trying to figure out what to do…

Me: "Hey, you still haven't played my NHL ROM! Do you want to give it a try now?"

Her: "Sure!"

Me: "Do you want to play as teammates or against eachother. I suggest we play as…"

Her: "NO! I want to play against you."

Me. "OK, what team do you want? I suggest Edmonton. Playing as McDavid is…"

Her: "I need to check out their uniforms first."

She goes on her laptop, presumably to Google images, and suddenly exclaims:

Her: "Philadelphia!!! I love the black and orange, it looks so cool!"

Me: "Really? You should check out Anaheim, they have more black on the uniforms, you might like that."

Her: "No! They look cheap and tacky."

So I get it set it up on the TV, she is PHI at home (I'm ANA), and when the opening face-off screen comes up, she starts exclaiming again.

Her: "NO! The Philadelphia uniforms are wrong! They should be BLACK! I don't like this!"

Me: "OH! You saw their third jerseys! Right. Sorry honey, I only used the standard jerseys in my ROM."

Her: "You should add in the third jerseys too!"

Me: Slaps forehead.

After the puck drop, I quickly discovered that me taking Anaheim was a bad idea. The colours were too similar to Philly for her, and she kept getting confused. She eventually found her niche being the goaltender as much as possible. However, despite my numerous explanations, she couldn't understand why she kept getting a whistle when she tried to skate with puck up the ice with her goalie,

After our 5-minute scrimmage she agrees to play as teammates with Edmonton. It was fun. The highlight was setting her up for a one-timer that went in. I was more excited than her! Unfortunately we still lost. She finally understood that she had to pass it as the goalie in order to avoid the whistle. This led to countless own goals, as she would frantically pass it into her net. It's hard to defend against that.

Tonight I'll show her your latest ROMs. I look forward to her telling me how much she likes these ones better, and how you "get it" about the uniforms.

Edited by AdamCatalyst
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

OK, so the other night, my fiancee and I are sitting on the couch, trying to figure out what to do…

Me: "Hey, you still haven't played my NHL ROM! Do you want to give it a try now?"

So... try being with someone for 24 years and do the same thing.

Me: "Hey, you still haven't played my ROM! Do you wa-

Her: "F@#$ off, A Million Little Things is on. Be quiet"

THAT'S AMO-REEEEEEEE

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Tonight I'll show her your latest ROMs. I look forward to her telling me how much she likes these ones better, and how you "get it" about the uniforms.

I dunno, advanced polling seems to indicate that the primary kit is more popular at a 3:2 ratio.

3 hours ago, Drezz said:
10 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

So... try being with someone for 24 years and do the same thing.

Me: "Hey, you still haven't played my ROM! Do you wa-

Her: "F@#$ off, A Million Little Things is on. Be quiet"

Just because the contrast amuses me, I had to try this with 15 years and two kids as the variant.

Her: "Why are you asking me? You know I have no interest in your...*dismissive hand wave*... things."

Me: "Fine, I guess I'll just have to play with the boy."

Boy: "Oooh?"

Her: "You could... if he wasn't grounded for not finishing his school work in class today."

Me/Boy: "Aaawww."

Me: "Then never mind. I guess I'll just go play by myself."

Her: "Just don't do that when the kids are around."

Me: "I said, *sigh* never mind."

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, von Ozbourne said:

I dunno, advanced polling seems to indicate that the primary kit is more popular at a 3:2 ratio.

Just because the contrast amuses me, I had to try this with 15 years and two kids as the variant.

Her: "Why are you asking me? You know I have no interest in your...*dismissive hand wave*... things."

Me: "Fine, I guess I'll just have to play with the boy."

Boy: "Oooh?"

Her: "You could... if he wasn't grounded for not finishing his school work in class today."

Me/Boy: "Aaawww."

Me: "Then never mind. I guess I'll just go play by myself."

Her: "Just don't do that when the kids are around."

Me: "I said, *sigh* never mind."

Hell. Thats a better script than most of the crap on tv.

3 hours ago, BlueJacketRebel said:

Hell. Thats a better script than most of the crap on tv.

Well to be fair, that's kind of like asking a novice high jumper to clear a bar that was sitting on two cinder blocks.

• Haha 2

So we decided to make a final edition which is fittingly named the Finals Edition.

Not a lot to change in this version obviously. A couple new players, some switches in starting goaltenders and lines. Probably the most obvious change is that the default teams have been switched from last year's Finals teams to reflect this year's Game 1 match up.
image.png  image.png
Also, the jumbotron NHL logo has been changed to the new Stanley Cup Finals logo.
[Yes, if this were really the Finals, Minnesota and Buffalo would not also be playing a game, I just didn't feel like taking another screen cap when I realized this]

And of course, new title screens to set them apart.

image.pngNHL 2023 RR94 SC Finals Ed [v4].bin

image.pngNHL 2023 94 Edition SCF [v4].bin

Not going to promise a pre-season edition for next year or anything, but any feedback would of course be appreciated.

Added to the original post as well

Edited by von Ozbourne
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 12:06 PM, von Ozbourne said:

So we decided to make a final edition which is fittingly named the Finals Edition.

Not a lot to change in this version obviously. A couple new players, some switches in starting goaltenders and lines. Probably the most obvious change is that the default teams have been switched from last year's Finals teams to reflect this year's Game 1 match up.
image.png  image.png
Also, the jumbotron NHL logo has been changed to the new Stanley Cup Finals logo.
[Yes, if this were really the Finals, Minnesota and Buffalo would not also be playing a game, I just didn't feel like taking another screen cap when I realized this]

And of course, new title screens to set them apart.

image.png NHL 2023 RR94 SC Finals Ed [v4].bin 2 MB · 42 downloads

image.png NHL 2023 94 Edition SCF [v4].bin 2 MB · 52 downloads

Not going to promise a pre-season edition for next year or anything, but any feedback would of course be appreciated.

Added to the original post as well

I somehow missed the final editions but I have them now. √

On 6/22/2023 at 12:27 AM, Jpark said:

This is very well done! Been having a blast playing it. Hope you can come back next season to make another one.

Thanks eh. It was certainly an interesting project to make. Will have to see how the next few months unfold, but it's a possibility.

• 2 months later...

You cannot apply the widescreen hack to modded NHL94 roms. Only the base rom.

20 hours ago, rholmberg said:

Have you tried implementing the widescreen hack to this mod? In my opinion, that's pretty much the only thing left until you've achieved perfection. Or is that even possible? What do you think? :)