NHL'94 Forums

introducing the FAIR DRAFT League

hello everyone. I'm looking for 10 more people of various skill levels who are willing to sign up for 5 seasons of what I am calling the FAIR DRAFT League. What is it all about? FAIR DRAFT stands for:

F - Fair (a certain set of rules and regulations will be agreed upon before beginning including, but not limited to, controller as the only input method)
A - Accessible (no cost to join, no barriers to entry)
I - Inclusive (all genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions are accepted and welcomed)
R - Respectful

D - Democratic (if 6 of the 10 agree that something isn't working right, we will change on the fly to end up with the desired result in season 5, even if I disagree with it)
R - Revolutionary (nothing like this has ever been attempted)
A - Awesome
F - Familiar (settings are basic, no WBF, offsides off, no line changes)
T - Timely (due to the selection criteria, we do not anticipate allowing anyone in who historically has trouble completing games very quickly)

I'm looking for 10 more individuals to self-identify as the following skill levels and who commit to participate in 5 seasons of a new experiment in seeing just exactly HOW unbalanced the skaters on a team must be to overcome the skill level of the coach.

ELITE - 2 spots
A/B - 2 spots left (after me)
B/C - 3 spots
C/D - 3 spots

Once you agree and commit and apply, I will find choose my participants based on the following criteria:

1) I have a list of some names in my head of people I REALLY want in here, for scientific reasons, and if they apply, they will be instantly accepted.
2) history of completed seasons and games
3) history of lower pings against all other players in group (sub 70 ping preferred)
4) history of respectful and polite communications on discord and in-game
* if multiple applicants are "equal" in my opinion, I will have a lottery to see who is allowed in (see how fair that is?)

How does the FAIR Draft League work? What makes it different or special?

Season 1 will have draftees do a regular snake draft in order of approximate skill (Elites FIRST, A/B next, B/C next, C/D last). "That doesn't sound very FAIR Dan! aren't you breaking your own rules?". Thanks for your question Tickenest. The answer is found in what happens NEXT!

Season 1 will be 4 GP against each of the other 10 opponents. This season will very likely be won easily by one of the two elites. Especially with top 1/2 players! When is the last time you saw an elite player with a top 5 pick in a draft league? But it's truly what happens NEXT that makes things fair/equitable. There are no playoffs. The winners of S1 will be decided by total points (with standard tiebreaks in effect). TBH, season 1 is kind of a throwaway or rather a litmus or baseline test for how well an elite player does with top tier talent.

The worst three records in a season will be able to retain up to 5 skaters/goalie.
The next two worst in a season will be able to retain up to 4 skaters/goalie.
The next two worst in a season will be able to retain up to 3 skaters/goalie.
The next two retain nobody, but get the first picks in subsequent season.
The top two records retain nobody, and get last picks in the draft.

After running a quick sample, assuming that one of the elites wins season 1, they will end up with someone like Robitaille/Bondra/Ronning as their star forward. If they win again,  in season 2, their best F will be someone like Sundin/Hogue/Savard as their best forward. By season 3 and beyond, it would be Bradley/Juneau/Reichel.

After season 4, the final season 5 will begin. Season 5 will have playoffs at the end, and BIG prizes for certain things that I want to award (TBD). The ideal situation is that the playoff race is very close, and most series are very close, and we all have a grand old time!

FAQ

Q: Trades?
A: Yes, *after the draft only* with a short exhibition period, UNLIMITED trades will be allowed, but subject to league approval or reversal if it appears that a new player is too hurt by the trade.

Q: Couldn't someone throw their season one year and screw everything up.
A: Sorta. But I won't be letting in anyone that has a propensity for that kind of s**t. I can't even imagine why someone would want to do that.

Q: What makes you think an Elite level player wants to slog through 120 games of s**t players vs. elite teams? 
A: IDK... science? curiosity?

Q: What made you create this?
A: I miss OHPL. The parity was super entertaining, and although an Elite player one it also, at least he had to work his ass off for it lol.

Q: What if I see a problem with your system?
A: DM me privately, but for the most part, because it's democratic and I'm extremely open to creating a league that all of us can use to gain new skills and glean new information, I only want the "general" concept to stay the same, and the nuts and bolts about fine tuning it can be left open for discussion once we find the 11 of us who are ready to turn this pipe dream into a reality.

=========================================================================================

That's it! If you want to join the league using classic ROM, 1 min penalties, just say yes below, indicating your approximate skill level (Elite, A/B, B/C, C/D) and depending on interest then I'll figure out what to do next. If we get 22 people, I could run two at the same time. If we get 5 people, I can nix the whole thing. What happens next is up to you!

APPLICANT LIST:

Elite - angryjay93
Elite - scribe99
A/B - danTML7
A/B - hokkeefan
A/B - wittgetstein
B/C - bigvalboski
B/C - LeifErikson
B/C - tecmojon
C/D - okboehmer
C/D - flamshelter
C/D - comicalfont