NHL'94 Forums

EA Sports splash screen palette is always wrong

I had the bright idea of using the 30 team rom... for a hack that only has 26.

This is because I was told to use it because that's the one where the ID for the splash screen is known.

I followed wboy's guide to get the colours of the EA Sports splash screen... only to get an incorrect palette full of pink and red, and not the colours seen in his guide.

Is there anything I am doing wrong, or is his guide impossible to follow?

If the results ARE impossible to replicate, where is the splash screen in the base rom? That way, I can still have an edited splash screen.

Screenshot_March_07_2023_07_27_52_PM.png

First, I just wanted to let you know that almost everyone’s first try at hacking this game takes a long time so don’t get too discouraged! My early work is especially terrible  

Second, I would recommend using a 32-team rom and then cutting the team sizes down BECAUSE a few people here have created TM bookmarks that’ll let you just click two buttons and get to the correct colors/format/byte order and location in a jiffy. 

I believe someone has a public file here… but if you can’t find anything AdamCatalyst has one and I have a fork of his I could share although certain tweaks may be confusing to others. 

Edited by Sean

Never use the 26 (28) team ROM for anything, the images aren't 'uncompressed' so can't be changed properly.

It appears you are using the wrong palette. Maybe hit the big arrows next to it to cycle through the adjacent palettes. Or double-check the instructions and make sure you are entering the correct palette address in the correct number system (hex or dec.. a lot of the old guides use dec offsets which is weird)

10 minutes ago, Sean said:

First, I just wanted to let you know that almost everyone’s first try at hacking this game takes a long time so don’t get too discouraged! My early work is especially terrible  

Second, I would recommend using a 32-team rom and then cutting the team sizes down BECAUSE a few people here have created TM bookmarks that’ll let you just click two buttons and get to the correct colors/format/byte order and location in a jiffy. 

I believe someone has a public file here… but if you can’t find anything AdamCatalyst has one and I have a fork of his I could share although certain tweaks may be confusing to others. 

This actually isn't my first time. It's, in fact, my first time in a long time.

I don't think I'd be able to do that without leaving out teams that played in the 1993-94 season out of the rom.

I have Adam's rom, but that is all I could find.

1 minute ago, smozoma said:

Never use the 26 (28) team ROM for anything, the images aren't 'uncompressed' so can't be changed properly.

It appears you are using the wrong palette. Maybe hit the big arrows next to it to cycle through the adjacent palettes. Or double-check the instructions and make sure you are entering the correct palette address in the correct number system (hex or dec.. a lot of the old guides use dec offsets which is weird)

I went through each step as described in the reference image for that splash screen.

I recall having a similar issue when I started as well.

There's a palette editing program called HivePal that let's you see palettes in ROMs. Open up the ROM and navigate to that specific offset (you'll have to convert from decimal to hex) then view the palettes with the browse function. You'll see the proper palette close to the area listed in wboy's tutorial cheat sheet. Make a note of that hex offset.

Convert that to decimal and plug that number into the dialog box in Tile Molester and see if that works.

4 hours ago, chaos said:

This is the base ROM - NHL94-~1.BIN

Look at this video -   

Oh, okay, thanks. I saw an extra 4 that wasn't there, instead of the second one.

Edited by Jlsegafan2001
Dyslexia wins again

8 hours ago, Jlsegafan2001 said:

Oh, okay, thanks. I saw an extra 4 that wasn't there, instead of the second one.

The page you were referencing was just the example page, you needed to go to the next page in the Screenshot PDF to get the right palette value