NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94: Hockey Night in Canada 1990-1991 Season

Drezz

Drezz, do you have a range of replaceable hex addresses regarding the font... I can probably create an ips patch (LunarIPS tool) that could be used to quickly implement it into any rom... I find it easier to read and i find the numbers stand out much better on the ice when playing

EDIT: or vice-versa, someone could use the original font if they find that easier on the eyes.. anyways, up to you.. thanks

Edited by profit90

Just like Sean's College roms, HNIC is becoming one of my favorite 94 mods.

I'm also wondering what this will go for on eBay.

Edited by BlueJacketRebel

An update: I am hoping to put in a few fixes for v1.1 and have the Playoff edition sorted as well. Hopefully this week I'll have both ready to go.

From there, the plans are

- figuring out the backgrounds for NHL 95 ( @UltraMagnus has been very patient waiting for these)

- more 90s seasons & playoff editions (from 91-92 to 99-00, meaning roster updates, more teams and more HNIC branded front-end graphics changes for each one)
- inserting the Coach's Corner theme during the period intermission.

I might consider doing the 2000s or just making some patches for specific ROMs to change them from the NHL94 stock to HNIC of that year.

Edited by Drezz
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

Okay - version 1.1 has been released...

VERSION 1.1 Updates
- Boston Bruins logo updated to era correct version
- Player sticks/Skate blades changed to white in order to fix colour issues on ice logos
- Shayne Corson and Stephane Richer portrait photos flipped back to correct spots
- New York Rangers photo portraits updated

HNIC 90-91 Season v1.1 (NHL 94).zip

Edited by Drezz
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 3:41 PM, Drezz said:

Okay - version 1.1 has been released...

VERSION 1.1 Updates
- Boston Bruins logo updated to era correct version
- Player sticks/Skate blades changed to white in order to fix colour issues on ice logos
- Shayne Corson and Stephane Richer portrait photos flipped back to correct spots
- New York Rangers photo portraits updated

HNIC 90-91 Season v1.1 (NHL 94).zip 1.64 MB · 11 downloads

Awesome! I'm sure that you *probably* thought of this, but just in case you didn't, you could limit the white to the home skate blades to ensure that you always have white in your palette, and then colour your sticks however. I mean, technically you could have the white colour in the Home palette and not use it for anything, but I think it looks PERFECT for the skates!

One tiny little thing I noticed, was that behind the visitors bench, on the boards and glass that lead into the dressing room, there is a seemingly stray pixel or two.

Lastly, what did you change with the goaltenders? Something about them just looks really nice.

Also, your nets. Hadn't noticed those before. Nice.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Awesome! I'm sure that you *probably* thought of this, but just in case you didn't, you could limit the white to the home skate blades to ensure that you always have white in your palette, and then colour your sticks however. I mean, technically you could have the white colour in the Home palette and not use it for anything, but I think it looks PERFECT for the skates!

One tiny little thing I noticed, was that behind the visitors bench, on the boards and glass that lead into the dressing room, there is a seemingly stray pixel or two.

Lastly, what did you change with the goaltenders? Something about them just looks really nice.

Also, your nets. Hadn't noticed those before. Nice.

Yeah I think I'm gonna have to do a V2 of the player sprites. I'm not entirely happy with them overall - I figured by using the skate blade & sticks together that I would free up even more available colours, and totally forgot they affect ice colours. For what I was trying to do, it worked - but it can be WAAAY better.

I toyed with an idea of putting a black border around the sprites to make it a bit more cartoony (and for something "different) and it actually looked super cool. I'll save that for a different concept, but I am still going to look at some way of refining the shading as I feel there's not enough depth. 

There are definitely a few stray pixels from an animated fan back there I believe. Another one of those graphical items that are on the list as well. I was gonna let that one slide, but if you caught it, someone else will too LOL!

With the goalies I did a few things:
- removed the 70s style facemask and streamlined it to a cage
- assigned the pants colours to the mask to differentiate it from the jerseys and make it stand out
- simplified the pad design on the front and back

The nets are actually stock 30-team ROM. I changed the crease though. I shortened it so it was nicer proportionally to the ice width.

Thank you for the technical review on the visuals. I appreciate this and it will help my next release get better.

This is still my "first" ROM too. LOL

1 hour ago, Drezz said:

Yeah I think I'm gonna have to do a V2 of the player sprites. I'm not entirely happy with them overall - I figured by using the skate blade & sticks together that I would free up even more available colours, and totally forgot they affect ice colours. For what I was trying to do, it worked - but it can be WAAAY better.

I toyed with an idea of putting a black border around the sprites to make it a bit more cartoony (and for something "different) and it actually looked super cool. I'll save that for a different concept, but I am still going to look at some way of refining the shading as I feel there's not enough depth. 

There are definitely a few stray pixels from an animated fan back there I believe. Another one of those graphical items that are on the list as well. I was gonna let that one slide, but if you caught it, someone else will too LOL!

With the goalies I did a few things:
- removed the 70s style facemask and streamlined it to a cage
- assigned the pants colours to the mask to differentiate it from the jerseys and make it stand out
- simplified the pad design on the front and back

The nets are actually stock 30-team ROM. I changed the crease though. I shortened it so it was nicer proportionally to the ice width.

Thank you for the technical review on the visuals. I appreciate this and it will help my next release get better.

This is still my "first" ROM too. LOL

Interesting, I'm curious to know more about what you are seeing with your player sprites. You clearly have a vision.

Black borders sound interesting, kind of comic-book / anime like. I'd love to see how that looks! If you don't ever push it further, would you at least tease us with a screen-cap of what could be?

Thanks for the insights on the goalies. Will take a closer look now.

lol - I guess I never noticed the 30-team variant. Down to the final 10% of detail on my own net redesign, you know, that final 10% that takes 90% of the time and no-one else will ever notice except for fellow crazy people?

I can't believe this is your "first" ROM. Seriously. 

Not much to add that hasn't been addressed. Just wanted to say that I like the goalie changes and am interested in seeing what you try next.

Oh and double what Adan said about the cartoon look.

1 hour ago, AdamCatalyst said:

you know, that final 10% that takes 90% of the time and no-one else will ever notice except for fellow crazy people?

I'm not sure if I should feel relieved that I am not the only one who uses that same 10/90 rule.

Edited by von Ozbourne

1 hour ago, von Ozbourne said:

Not much to add that hasn't been addressed. Just wanted to say that I like the goalie changes and am interested in seeing what you try next.

Oh and double what Adan said about the cartoon look.

I'm not sure if I should feel relieved that I am not the only one who uses that same 10/90 rule.

The 90/10 rule is the Pareto Principle for perfectionists.

5 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Interesting, I'm curious to know more about what you are seeing with your player sprites. You clearly have a vision.

Black borders sound interesting, kind of comic-book / anime like. I'd love to see how that looks! If you don't ever push it further, would you at least tease us with a screen-cap of what could be?

For the player sprites, my plan is to do more dithering. It's REALLY time consuming but looks great. Same as the black border. I'll put up a few proofs when I'm able so you can see what I mean.

4 hours ago, von Ozbourne said:

Guys... this is exactly how I felt doing the HNIC theme...

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Actually, if you're getting back into the act, I'm kind of curious. I have a project that's been on the back burner for so long that it's basically charcoal at this point, but it's the type of thing that would really really lend itself to a music makeover. Haven't really had the time to grok the organ music tutorial all that well, which probably doesn't help, but I have no idea how you were able to rewrite the title theme.

Don't suppose.... he said sheepishly leaving the though hanging.

This is so awesome, like I'm just a noob who edits rosters here lol. This is like, a literal masterpiece. If this was just a small project to scratch the itch, I can't imagine how amazing some of the stuff you've done is! Can I hire you to help me make hacks? Lol!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 9:39 PM, von Ozbourne said:

Actually, if you're getting back into the act, I'm kind of curious. I have a project that's been on the back burner for so long that it's basically charcoal at this point, but it's the type of thing that would really really lend itself to a music makeover. Haven't really had the time to grok the organ music tutorial all that well, which probably doesn't help, but I have no idea how you were able to rewrite the title theme.

Don't suppose.... he said sheepishly leaving the though hanging.

Inserting music requires A LOT of trial and error. I figured out the title theme, but stopped there because I was exhausted from the 1,000+ iterations and micro changes I had to make in order to get it sounding good. I wanted to change the matchup screen music and ingame menu screen music too - it's still something I am interested in. If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll do the best I can to help you out. There's a few things I've forgotten and may have to wade back into the muck again to figure some things out.

On 3/5/2024 at 7:59 AM, Drezz said:

Inserting music requires A LOT of trial and error. I figured out the title theme, but stopped there because I was exhausted from the 1,000+ iterations and micro changes I had to make in order to get it sounding good. I wanted to change the matchup screen music and ingame menu screen music too - it's still something I am interested in. If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll do the best I can to help you out. There's a few things I've forgotten and may have to wade back into the muck again to figure some things out.

Oh. Yeah, to be honest, I haven't even really been able to spend adequate time wrapping my head around the organ music tutorials. As much as I'd like to change the title theme, I feel like this is a thing that I don't yet know when I would begin to start, never mind wanting to bother you with half formed questions.
[that and the fear of going down the perfectionism rabbit hole eating up hours and hours of time for minimal progress]