NHL'94 Forums

Suggestions for unbearable lag

ThePimpImp

So PaulCoffeySon and myself are trying to play our second round series, but have unbearable lag between each other. WE can both connect to another player perfectly fine though with almost no lag throughout an entire game. Any suggestions for things to try?

we can connect to different people and play fine, neither of u have had problems. We are connecting at 10pm pst not a peak time and considering its 1am for him its about as late as we can go for non peak. I don't think the router is the problem since I am dmz when i play

I don't understand all these lag problems. There's only 1 guy in SNES I have lag problems with.

Can you connect with other players no problem PaulCoffey.

Do you have high speed internet.

Do you have a good computer?

Are you really Paul Coffey's son?

I really hate seeing playoff series being ruined by lag, lag completely ruins

the game.

well I don't read every single post on the site like you do rocky!

Funny I was actually going to 2nd the motion to kick you out.....

but then thought I would just mind my own business.

---- I would still try just plugging modem into cpu directly, you've got nothing to lose by trying.

Have you tried different settings in zsnes like TCP as well as the other one UDP.

maybe go into the zsnes file & read up on lag stuff

PaulCoffeySon is having problems with udp. I would assume this is because of port forwarding, but I can't be sure. We both have been able to play other people and it was fine. So we have only used tcp so far and its no good. I do know my router isn't really doing anything as i have it dmz'd when i play sometimes if I run into problems. I don't really have the option of plugging directly in because there are other people who need the internet more than me playing games.

I will be at a friends house this weekend that might fix the problem(although hes in the same area). EIther way if we can have an extension to the weekend it will be appreciated. We will play through the lag if we have to.

PaulCoffeySon is having problems with udp. I would assume this is because of port forwarding, but I can't be sure. We both have been able to play other people and it was fine.

I think thats your problem. Tell PaulCoffey to plug his interent directly into computer (for just your series) & use UDP instead of TCP. It even says in the zsnes manual to use UDP, that lag is more possible using tcp (I think). Maybe you could both find a time when you could both plug your modem's directly into cpu & use UDP for just the series.

I think though if your able to use UDP then just have PaulCoffey plug the internet directly into the cpu & use UDP.

IF your both able to use UDP that should help alot.

pokrchamp is probably right. TCP has a lot more overhead than UDP and is inherently slower due to all of these extra checks and controls. Plug your internet connection directly into your PC and try UDP. It seems to me like TCP just isn't going to work for you guys so you have to figure out UDP.

For next season I strongly believe we need to make UDP a requirement to be in the league. Guys, I realize it can be a bit intimidating and/or confusing, but please put forth an effort to set up port forwarding or DMZ on your router so you can play with UDP.

Schwartz spent the time to do up a nice little getting started page that explains the basics of port forwarding. - http://www.nhl94online.com/html/snes-zbattle-howto.shtml

So take a look at that and see if you can't get port forwarding set up properly. As a quick and dirty explanation of why port forwarding is required for UDP...

Think of the online data between you and your opponenet as mail that is labelled with your address, but without a name. It's easy enough to get the letter to your house , but who in the house is the letter for? The router knows that UDP data has been delivered, but it doesn't know which computer on your local network it is for. By forwarding port 7845 (this is the port that ZSNES uses) to the computer you plan to play on, your router knows that when it receives data on port 7845 it should be sent to your computer.

I know 1 big thing that confuses a lot of people are the IP Addresses. To figure out what your **LOCAL** IP Address is do the following:

1. Click the Start button and select Run (this will open a little window with a text box)

2. In the text box, type cmd and hit the Enter key (this will open a black DOS window)

3. In the black window type ipconfig and press the Enter key.

4. There will be a few IP addresses displayed, but the one you are looking for will actually be labelled IP Address (not Subnet Mask or Default Gateway). It will probably start with a 192.168 .

This is the address you want to forward port 7845 to. The next step is to set up the port forwarding on your router (this step will vary depending on the type of router you have... Schwartz put a few links to some of the more common routers in his getting started page). And remember, after you set up or change the port forwarding you usually have to restart your router before the changes will take effect.

That is really all you should have to do to play with UDP.

rudy

I have conncected succesfully with udp many times, so i'm pretty sure its not me.

PaulCoffeySon is liekly behind a router, but he doesn't know, so I'm assuming wouldn't know how to change options.

If he's on a larger network, like a university network he most likely won't have access to the router and won't have any choice but to play with TCP.

rudy

Ya like I said above, I have done all those steps as far as port forwarding, and know I can connect using UDP, its strictly his side. I have no idea what kind of environment he's in but hopefully he can get access to his router. Otherwise, unbearable lag it is. The reason UDP is better is because its more forgiving. In TCp packets must arrive in order and all packets must arrive. UDP lets things get a little chaotic, but in the case of video games and streaming video, its hardly noticable.

In TCp packets must arrive in order and all packets must arrive.

Actually TCP packets do not have to arrive in order. They just have to be presented to the application complete and in order.

rudy