NHL'94 Forums

Will there be a 23 Men's WC ROM?

Since completing the 90's ones, I've been debating doing a current one, but I left it too late this year.

Although, if someone were to get all the roster data together for me, I could finish up the rest of the new artwork for it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2023 at 5:32 AM, von Ozbourne said:

Since completing the 90's ones, I've been debating doing a current one, but I left it too late this year.

Although, if someone were to get all the roster data together for me, I could finish up the rest of the new artwork for it.

I'll be glad tpo collect the roster data for you if you're ok to work on the ROM... let me know!

2 hours ago, gitegiky said:

I'll be glad tpo collect the roster data for you if you're ok to work on the ROM... let me know!

Thanks for the offer eh. Although.... I might be working on some new goalie ratings right now.

Due to the tournament's nature of adding players right up until the semi-finals, I might be looking at a week or so after the tournament is over to get something finished.

22 hours ago, von Ozbourne said:

Thanks for the offer eh. Although.... I might be working on some new goalie ratings right now.

Due to the tournament's nature of adding players right up until the semi-finals, I might be looking at a week or so after the tournament is over to get something finished.

You're right, but since is a long job I'd better start this now, and AFAIK rosters are almost complete right now.

Since i didn't this before I'll be glad if you can help me exactly what data you need, i believe that player size and weight are the first, but what for the other characteristics? should I decide them arbitrarily or is there any db for the non nhl players? maybe eliteprospects?

13 hours ago, gitegiky said:

Since i didn't this before I'll be glad if you can help me exactly what data you need, i believe that player size and weight are the first, but what for the other characteristics? should I decide them arbitrarily or is there any db for the non nhl players? maybe eliteprospects?

Oh, sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I actually went ahead and grabbed all of the player data as of about three games into the tournament. If I recall, today is the final day to add players, so I may only need to get data on a couple more players. [I noticed that Denmark added a fourth goalie. Probably due to injury, not sure, I haven't watched that game yet] Anyway, I've spent some time reworking my player data formulas to spit out an array of ratings that seem fair based on the snapshot of this particular tournament. Added some weighting for other statistics from this year and I think I'm happy with the results. Just waiting for all of the games to be played now so I can grab the full tournament stats for the final player ratings. Actually as you noted, for pretty much any player on the other side of the pond, eliteprospects is usually the most complete. I'll cross reference with IIHF's site, but as far as European leagues and players go, I like that one.

Photos on the other hand is always the single most time consuming part. Luckily The IIHF site has all but the most recent additions and have very consistent photos as far as colour balance, so it's just a matter of making sure the scaling and cropping is done right. Then comes the importing. Usually break that up into a couple sections because I've got shortcuts for basically everything except the monotonous importing of up to 832 individual player photos. Haven't started on that yet, but I'll have to soon.

51 minutes ago, von Ozbourne said:

Oh, sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I actually went ahead and grabbed all of the player data as of about three games into the tournament. If I recall, today is the final day to add players, so I may only need to get data on a couple more players. [I noticed that Denmark added a fourth goalie. Probably due to injury, not sure, I haven't watched that game yet] Anyway, I've spent some time reworking my player data formulas to spit out an array of ratings that seem fair based on the snapshot of this particular tournament. Added some weighting for other statistics from this year and I think I'm happy with the results. Just waiting for all of the games to be played now so I can grab the full tournament stats for the final player ratings. Actually as you noted, for pretty much any player on the other side of the pond, eliteprospects is usually the most complete. I'll cross reference with IIHF's site, but as far as European leagues and players go, I like that one.

Photos on the other hand is always the single most time consuming part. Luckily The IIHF site has all but the most recent additions and have very consistent photos as far as colour balance, so it's just a matter of making sure the scaling and cropping is done right. Then comes the importing. Usually break that up into a couple sections because I've got shortcuts for basically everything except the monotonous importing of up to 832 individual player photos. Haven't started on that yet, but I'll have to soon.

Oh that's another story... sorry I've misunderstood! :)

Well, at this point I'll wait... meanwhile, you've said that importing the photo is so far the only manual operations you do... is there anything I can do for making this automatict too? What do you need to import the photo? I guess that the image must be cropped and then converted to some other format and then written on the rom, is there any way to create a script that do this? maybe starting from a folder of images oppurtunally named?

If you explain me the steps needed I can try to figure out something

On 5/25/2023 at 11:51 PM, gitegiky said:

Well, at this point I'll wait... meanwhile, you've said that importing the photo is so far the only manual operations you do... is there anything I can do for making this automatict too? What do you need to import the photo? I guess that the image must be cropped and then converted to some other format and then written on the rom, is there any way to create a script that do this? maybe starting from a folder of images oppurtunally named?

Sadly, beyond some kind of gaming keyboard macro deal, I don't know how to automatically import all of the player photos. Luckily I'm just taking all of the player images from IIHF.com and they all but two late add players on there, so it's not a lot of effort to seek them out. Haven't gotten around to doing anything with them yet, because I'm working out a plan for the remaining 16 teams, but the only annoying thing I found is that the website doesn't name or number the players in order. Does mean that I'll have to rename the photos to the player numbers when I'm ready to resize them, but at least after that, some photoshop actions will take care of 90% of the middle steps for me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...