NHL'94 Forums

What was the worst hockey video game you ever played?

'NHL Stanley Cup' for snes was by far the worst game I ever played. Nothing like dumping it in from the red line and scoring every time.

I still remember going to the video game store one day and looking at the 'previously played section'....there was about 30 games there at that particualr time...id say half of them were 'nhl stanley cup'.

Stanley Cup wasn't that bad. The camera angles were a little nauseating but its really not that bad of a game once you get used to it. However, that only goes for playing against a human opponent..playing against the computer sucks.

As far as the worst hockey game I've ever played, I have to say, hands down, "Hockey" for the Atari Lynx. puke.gif

All the latest NHL games by EA. They're terrible compared to their greatness of the 90's. NHL Stanley Cup wasn't too bad IMO, the learning curve of the controls was just too much.

I have to be honest even though there are many who love it: NHL 95. When it came out I immediately bought it because I was such a fan of 94. But I was very disappointed. It seemed to me that they simply fucked it up. I know they were trying to make it faster, improve on graphics, etc. but I was not impressed. They proved me right when in 96 they abandoned the whole program.

p.s. NHL 06 for the PS2 was quite enjoyable. NHL 98(ps1) and NHL99(N64) were also personal favorites. also a big fan of Wayne Gretzky's 3D hockey for N64 was sweet if you're into the whole arcade style s**t.

I have to be honest even though there are many who love it: NHL 95. When it came out I immediately bought it because I was such a fan of 94. But I was very disappointed. It seemed to me that they simply fucked it up. I know they were trying to make it faster, improve on graphics, etc. but I was not impressed. They proved me right when in 96 they abandoned the whole program.

That's actually a really good point. I know there's a lot of nhl95 fans on this site and I'm not looking to start a whole debate on what year is best for the NHLs. But for me, NHL95 was one of the worst just b/c they had something that worked so well and changed the entire format of the game. I just didn't understand the transition into those graphics and gameplay instead of building onto a great game. 95 was just a big disappointment.

Guest cr0ssbar94

I felt the same way man. Another vote for NHL 95. And yeh, they dumped the whole scheme of 95 in 96. Shows how much people hated it. I still have a vivid memory of the wind being sucked out of me when I played 95 after buying it. Lesson: Always Rent First.

It is, however, all a matter of opinion. Segathon is a great website. It is based on the NHL95 genre. Like I said, some people love it. They have quite a deal going with it. Props to Segathon.

NHL 97 @ Saturn sucked pretty huge donkey balls, even at that time.. It was UGLY and the game play was a really sad story... I've played a pretty bad hockey game for snes "Super Hockey" something... Other than that I've enjoyed most of the hockey games I've played.

I just whipped out an old one for the Sega Genesis called "NHL All-Star Hockey '95". This game sucks. Period. You can see that when an opposing player gets the puck at my defensive zone, skates back to the red line, shoots, and manages to score... sigh.

And another thing I noticed is probably one of the funniest things i've seen in a hockey game. When someone scores a goal, you see the goaltender hitting the goal post like he's chopping a tree. B)

I just whipped out an old one for the Sega Genesis called "NHL All-Star Hockey '95". This game sucks. Period. You can see that when an opposing player gets the puck at my defensive zone, skates back to the red line, shoots, and manages to score... sigh.

And another thing I noticed is probably one of the funniest things i've seen in a hockey game. When someone scores a goal, you see the goaltender hitting the goal post like he's chopping a tree. :(

The goal horn in that sucks too, as does the music and sound and the attempt at commentary.

There was a hockey game for NES as well, now that was good. Except that the goalie worked like a Pong paddle moving up and down.

• 4 years later...

Tecmo Super Hockey is pretty much a disappointment. It can be a little hard to score unless you manage to make a lot of shots, the goalies freeze the puck ALL THE TIME whenever they catch it and it's easy to make penalties on both sides. The flow of the game really slows down so much that if you play a whole season, you're going to play 5-minute periods and no penalties just so the game keeps its speed. It still doesn't totally save it, though.

Anyone else played Brett Hull Hockey?

I rented Wayne Gretzky Hockey (NES) once and thought it was terrible. I haven't played it since then; perhaps it's actually good if you play it technically, but when Ice Hockey and Blades of Steel were also out, Wayne Gretzky Hockey was pretty pathetic looking and boring for a kid of 10-12.

National Hockey night for the ps2 sucked, I believe you could only score with a center :mellow: plus the commentators sounded like they took sugar pills right before the game.

I rented Wayne Gretzky Hockey (NES) once and thought it was terrible. I haven't played it since then; perhaps it's actually good if you play it technically, but when Ice Hockey and Blades of Steel were also out, Wayne Gretzky Hockey was pretty pathetic looking and boring for a kid of 10-12.

I bought a copy of this game in the 99 cent bin about 15 years go. It is awful. The most entertaining part of the game is reading the scrolling text under the scoreboard that pops up after every f**king stoppage in play. Its only feature is that it had NHL rosters.

One time I played a 20-minute period game to see if I could make it through, which is particularly bad because they have actual seconds on the time clock in this game. It was the worst day of my life.

I bought a copy of this game in the 99 cent bin about 15 years go. It is awful. The most entertaining part of the game is reading the scrolling text under the scoreboard that pops up after every f**king stoppage in play. Its only feature is that it had NHL rosters.

One time I played a 20-minute period game to see if I could make it through, which is particularly bad because they have actual seconds on the time clock in this game. It was the worst day of my life.

i had a similar experience. The game is definitely the worst.

• 1 month later...

Hahaha wow that games looks absolutely terrible. That is definitely the worst hockey game ever made hands down.

It was the inspiration for me to start this thread.

3d hockey on the SNES hardware is pretty impressive, though, no? Regardless of how unfun the game may be... I'm not sure it can be called worse than Wayne Gretzky hockey on the NES!

I don't know if you guys have heard of this (I'm surprised nobody mentioned it, yet), but there's actually a version of NHL '94 for the Sega Genesis. it's terrible, but copies abound, so I'm sure you could find it, if you are tempted to view in horror the travesty. it was rushed out so hurriedly that different teams share the same players! also, light players check hard, but heavy players can't endure friendly glances! how do you not notice that in testing?! its general look and gameplay are kind of similar to the perfection that is SNES NHL '94, but there are plenty of infuriating differences. I don't recommend trying it if you at all enjoy the luxury of simply pressing a button to stand up, or to select a particular defender from your blueliners and goaltenders. in the Genesis version, you cannot isolate your defense with ease and get this: you actually have to hold a button and wait to use your goalie! it is the most absurd flaw of any sports game I can think of -- "oh, he's crossed into the zone with the puck; I hope I have time t- AARGH!" can you imagine ever playing a hockey video game in which you must request the use of your goaltender by pressing and holding a button and then waiting for the painfully nonresponsive useless piece of instantly-outdated gaming technology to process and fulfill (assuming one of many coding glitches didn't interfere in the meantime) the request? it's the definition of retarded. it might just as well have used an Atari 2600 joystick and called for Morse-code-like patterning in the pressing of the solitary button. dash dash dot to pass, dot dot dot to shoot, dot dash dot to check; input your requests before the puck is dropped, so you don't miss out on the action!

Edited by trudatman

3d hockey on the SNES hardware is pretty impressive, though, no? Regardless of how unfun the game may be... I'm not sure it can be called worse than Wayne Gretzky hockey on the NES!

yes it was impressive, but that lasts about 1minute then you realize the game is completely unplayable. And the insanely annoying camera flipping around 360 all the time...I felt like bashing the cartridge to death after that.

I don't know if you guys have heard of this (I'm surprised nobody mentioned it, yet), but there's actually a version of NHL '94 for the Sega Genesis. it's terrible, but copies abound, so I'm sure you could find it, if you are tempted to view in horror the travesty. it was rushed out so hurriedly that different teams share the same players! also, light players check hard, but heavy players can't endure friendly glances! how do you not notice that in testing?! its general look and gameplay are kind of similar to the perfection that is SNES NHL '94, but there are plenty of infuriating differences. I don't recommend trying it if you at all enjoy the luxury of simply pressing a button to stand up, or to select a particular defender from your blueliners and goaltenders. in the Genesis version, you cannot isolate your defense with ease and get this: you actually have to hold a button and wait to use your goalie! it is the most absurd flaw of any sports game I can think of -- "oh, he's crossed into the zone with the puck; I hope I have time t- AARGH!" can you imagine ever playing a hockey video game in which you must request the use of your goaltender by pressing and holding a button and then waiting for the painfully nonresponsive useless piece of instantly-outdated gaming technology to process and fulfill (assuming one of many coding glitches didn't interfere in the meantime) the request? it's the definition of retarded. it might just as well have used an Atari 2600 joystick and called for Morse-code-like patterning in the pressing of the solitary button. dash dash dot to pass, dot dot dot to shoot, dot dash dot to check; input your requests before the puck is dropped, so you don't miss out on the action!

are you kidding me? you did this $hit like a year or two ago, is this your life goal to hate on gens 94? get the fffffffkkk outtta here.

DONT TURN THIS THREAD INTO GENS VS SNES, TO FEED THIS RAT FACED TESTICLE LOVING TROLL.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yes it was impressive, but that lasts about 1minute then you realize the game is completely unplayable. And the insanely annoying camera flipping around 360 all the time...I felt like bashing the cartridge to death after that.

We need a league :D