NHL'94 Forums

a fair league

hokkeefan

yes det at chi is a good series but if your not retarted you have to realize with the talent of players in a- league that det or chi are always going to be in the conference finals year after year and if not both at least 1 of these teams will be in there and i would like to know how this is fair?????is there any way that this advantage to these great teams and all great players in A div can be moderated to be an equal playing field?there is only one exception to my opinion and that is kgman who somehow pulled it out with dallas which i dont think he could nowadays with growing talent and amount of new players joining.and if you dont agree just wait till the following years to come...........growing interest in leagues will come more talent and better players so the coaches that get det or chi or montreal will have an unfair advantage on coaches with teams like edm ,wash,que,van and etc........its just plain and simple it wont be fair for all players so what is the answer for overall fair chance to win the cup!!!and if your one of those dumb asses who think teams dont matter your just a fkin idiot!!!!and if this continues the way it you guys will have the same fkin questions to bs your way through year after year...............it has to be changed somehow so it is fair play for everyone.

We had the exact same discussion in our fantasy football league this year. The guy with the top pick took LaDanian Tomlinson and he's crushing the league; it is totally unfair and has ruined the fun for everyone. Every year, the guys who draw the top picks almost always wind up making the playoffs. People were threatening to quit unless we made a change, so we agreed that for next year and beyond we'd cut down on variety by letting everyone have the same players if they want. So no matter what order you might have been in the draft, if all 10 guys want LT, Peyton Manning and Chad Johnson, that's totally cool. We're really excited about it.

.....orrrrrrrrrr not.

Is it that much of a problem on the Genesis version

SNES A -- final 4 Winnipeg, St Louis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Ok 1 elite team in the bunch. Chic, Det, Bos, Buff, Montr, ALL GONE

I'd like to throw out a challenge to anyone on SNES than complains about teams

7 game series, you pick both our teams just no allstar teams, or u can't give me Ottawa, Florida, Anaheim cause they can't accept passes!

Maybe its a bigger factor in the Genesis version, I'm sick of hearing about

this team crap.

How bout next season we all play with Pittsburgh.

Every game is Pitts vs Pitts 40 games of Pitts vs Pitts

The top 8 Pittsburgh's make the playoffs

last year pitt didn't even make the playoffs in this league and as poker said look at the teams left so your theory is dead wrong....and last season the finals for A were EDM??? and NYR......dont see any of the teams mentioned there!

Ive played both of these guys and without these teams they are top talents, the fact that they have detroit and chicago has very little to do with the fact that they are there in the finals. Teams matter, but not as much as a lot of people like to make it out to be.

I'm totally sick of the whining about teams from GENS players in particular. These two guys made the conference final because they are top notch players. Teams help a little bit, but they don't decide the whole game- my God.

Having played with both Chicago and Edmonton in league play this year I think denying that teams can make a significant difference is a little silly. But that doesn't mean I'd change how the the league is run. So some teams are better than others; that's how it was in our dorm tournaments where we drew teams out of a hat and we still managed to have a lot of fun.

Guest cr0ssbar94
yes det at chi is a good series but if your not retarted you have to realize with the talent of players in a- league that det or chi are always going to be in the conference finals year after year and if not both at least 1 of these teams will be in there and i would like to know how this is fair?????is there any way that this advantage to these great teams and all great players in A div can be moderated to be an equal playing field?there is only one exception to my opinion and that is kgman who somehow pulled it out with dallas which i dont think he could nowadays with growing talent and amount of new players joining.and if you dont agree just wait till the following years to come...........growing interest in leagues will come more talent and better players so the coaches that get det or chi or montreal will have an unfair advantage on coaches with teams like edm ,wash,que,van and etc........its just plain and simple it wont be fair for all players so what is the answer for overall fair chance to win the cup!!!and if your one of those dumb asses who think teams dont matter your just a fkin idiot!!!!and if this continues the way it you guys will have the same fkin questions to bs your way through year after year...............it has to be changed somehow so it is fair play for everyone.

LOL, well as you kow I posted something very similar to this after Lemeuix went ape s**t and dismantled my overachieving Capitals in 4. Needless to say it was not well received, so I'm staying out of this. But for the record, you're 100% correct. We should be able to pick any team we want imo. KGMAN as you said is the exception to the rule, but eventually players will figure him out too, and he'll have to start picking good teams to win.

Guest cr0ssbar94
I'm totally sick of the whining about teams from GENS players in particular. These two guys made the conference final because they are top notch players. Teams help a little bit, but they don't decide the whole game- my God.

Yeah I'm sure Roenick and Yzerman had nothing to do with it. :P

Haha every1 says "Any team but Florida" too bad i ran s**t w florida.. but seriously. I play kids in exibitions and use a normal team like calg or van and ill beat on them, but then in league play they roll out w their chicagos and such elite teams and they beat on me.. clearly the only answer is a draft leauge. Run it like fantesy football to where all the players are ranked and if ur not there it gives u the best guy left.. this way if your team blows its your own fault for drafting scrubs, instead of getting stuck w a trash team beacause dudes can submit their sign up sheet in 30 seconds and it took you 45.

clearly the only answer is a draft leauge. Run it like fantesy football to where all the players are ranked and if ur not there it gives u the best guy left.. this way if your team blows its your own fault for drafting scrubs, instead of getting stuck w a trash team beacause dudes can submit their sign up sheet in 30 seconds and it took you 45.

I don't think a draft league is the only answer. Over the past few weeks it has become clear that some people would only be happy with either a draft league requiring a customized ROM (or perhaps for everyone to play as the same team all season long). I just don't count myself among them. Luckily, for these folks some draft leagues have started cropping up, so people can migrate over if they wish.

Next season there won't be a first-come, first-served system for assigning teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Editing the rom is insanely easy, and it not being a first come first serve basis, then what? a lottery? the same problem will come up with whoever gets chicago having an enormous advantage over people who get weak teams. A draft puts your team in your own hands, not in random luck.

a draft doesnt put a team in your own hands. It has the same exact problems as a regular league because they first few picks will be Roenick, Yzerman, mogilny, belfour, etc. Is anyone bitching about chicago because of Steve Smith or Michel Goulet? I doubt it, its the main players that people utiilize is the main cause for the crying i see. A draft does nothing to stop that because the top guys get the top players. I'm in the draft league right now and i had the 14th pick, heres my team

carson-turgeon-recchi

bellows-yake-kontos

gusarov-bourque

kasparaitis-kasataonov

soderstrom-puppa

See any of the superstars that people complain about a lot on my team? i didnt think so, guess who got them, THE PEOPLE WITH THE TOP DRAFT PICKS!!!

Drafting a team or players has litle difference in who gets the advantage, everyone wants the top players and they get them at the beginning no matter what.

See any of the superstars that people complain about a lot on my team? i didnt think so, guess who got them, THE PEOPLE WITH THE TOP DRAFT PICKS!!!

Ray Bourque? Not a superstar? He’s arguably the best defensemen in the game. Also arguably has the best slapper in the game. If we had mid-season trades I’d be begging you to take Belfour outta my hands :lol:

Having a late round pick isn’t bad at all. It really just depends on how BAD you want or need Roenick. I’d much rather take near back to back picks for a real potent 1, 2 punch.

The draft may not be perfect, but IMO it’s damn close.

Bourque is a superstar, but is he a dangerous player complain about in tilting the balance? no,i dont think hes up their in that discussion. All im saying is the top guys go no matter what in the first part of a draft whether it be teams or players. i may have a potent team, but i dont have that one guy that im gonna bitchslap you with for 8 goals to destroy everything. thats all im trying to point out. (yes,i know i just scored 7 with recchi, but thats an exception to the rule of my team).

You just proved the point that a draft is great. He is a superstar, and u got him 14th? that means u also get the 15th pick. A draft is the fairest way to divide players into a league, its time tested not just for nhl 94. Pick up football, fantesy football, pickup hockey, people can draft who they want to get the fairest teams. A draft also allows you to get a team thats suits your style of play, rather than getting stuck with a team that doesnt work for your style of play. (I E offensive defensemen when you don't like to have them jump up on the rush, etc.)

Guest BSDaemon
You just proved the point that a draft is great. He is a superstar, and u got him 14th? that means u also get the 15th pick. A draft is the fairest way to divide players into a league, its time tested not just for nhl 94. Pick up football, fantesy football, pickup hockey, people can draft who they want to get the fairest teams. A draft also allows you to get a team thats suits your style of play, rather than getting stuck with a team that doesnt work for your style of play. (I E offensive defensemen when you don't like to have them jump up on the rush, etc.)

a draft LOTTERY works well.

look at the winter league. the way that was done is excellent, and i think everyone in that league would agree (except maybe the people right at the bottom who got stuck with average teams, but they are so good at the game that it wont matter anyway)

It also helps if you dont have completely full leagues too, that way nobody is stuck with the bottom 1/3 of the teams. Two leagues of 16 teams where 4 from each conference make the playoffs eliminates what, 12 teams at the bottom end of the rankings?

I don't believe doing anything excesively foolish like letting any player pick any team, so that you have five chicagos and 4 pittsburghs, etc, is the way to go. Nothing that drastic is necessary. A draft is nice in that you get to pick from whats available, instead of blindly picking and hoping for the best, and the lottery makes the whole thing fair. (yes, i fully believe that even the best players in the league should have a CHANCE at #1 pick, no matter how slim)

A format similar to the winter league is definitely the best way to go. I mean, just look at the teams involved! There are no BAD teams there!

http://www.freewebs.com/nhl94winterleague/draftorder.htm

a draft LOTTERY works well.

look at the winter league. the way that was done is excellent, and i think everyone in that league would agree (except maybe the people right at the bottom who got stuck with average teams, but they are so good at the game that it wont matter anyway)

It also helps if you dont have completely full leagues too, that way nobody is stuck with the bottom 1/3 of the teams. Two leagues of 16 teams where 4 from each conference make the playoffs eliminates what, 12 teams at the bottom end of the rankings?

I don't believe doing anything excesively foolish like letting any player pick any team, so that you have five chicagos and 4 pittsburghs, etc, is the way to go. Nothing that drastic is necessary. A draft is nice in that you get to pick from whats available, instead of blindly picking and hoping for the best, and the lottery makes the whole thing fair. (yes, i fully believe that even the best players in the league should have a CHANCE at #1 pick, no matter how slim)

A format similar to the winter league is definitely the best way to go. I mean, just look at the teams involved! There are no BAD teams there!

http://www.freewebs.com/nhl94winterleague/draftorder.htm

So says Mr. Ottawa Senators. Then again I'm in the basement with Chicago because I plain suck, though I've tried to keep games close.

As for angryjay, you got Bourque and Turgeon (unless you mean Sylvain, not Pierre) and don't tell me that Recchi wasn't on the all-star team, because he was. You got some good guys there.

As for angryjay, you got Bourque and Turgeon (unless you mean Sylvain, not Pierre) and don't tell me that Recchi wasn't on the all-star team, because he was. You got some good guys there.

Borque is good.. but he doesn't tear up a game like Roenick or Yzerman. Pierre Turgeon is good, but there are 20-30 players on the same level as him.

Angryjay's point of the top few teams getting the relatively few 1st tier players is quite valid, but the draft league does smooth things out so that there is more balance.

Despite all of the original rom H8ters, I still am a fan of it, and I enjoy the setup of Evan's leagues. Having a Chicago or Detroit is an advantage, but equalizing the playing field IS LIKE PUTTING RESTRICTOR PLATES ON NASCAR VEHICLES!!!!!!!!!

oh baby, did my point come shining through? :)

Guest BSDaemon

hehe nice one! Though i dont know much about nascar since i dont have a mullet..

i dont see roenick or yzerman really tearing up a game, personally. i dont really find them any harder to stop then anyone else. if you cant stop roenick as easily as anyone else, you need to work on your defence. Which is why I picked ottawa. I can score fine with them, but i need to improve my D and my goaltending. And I have to say, I'm pretty proud of my record considering my team...