NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 Lingo

badge

So I'm sure everyone uses their own lingo in their respective local NHL 94 communities.

Let's hear em.

A few of ours:

1. "Chel" - A shortened version of the NHL 94 title, Chel has long been our name of choice.

2. "Gino" - Affectionately named after the great Gino Odjick, a goal can be referred to as a Gino. Furthermore, they both commence with a G.

Well Mr.Badger, I'd like to add the term "apple", I'm sure you know, is used for an assist. As per starting with the same first letter, comparable to the "gino".

I'd like to add a request for some traditions as well.

I, personally, like to throw my hat at the screen, to join all the other hats, when one of my Red Wings buries his third of the game. Adds a little insult to injury when Dino pots his third.

its an action more than lingo. we still have the old huge genesis controllers. i dont know if many people realize this or not, but those controllers actually make a rather loud, rather painful knee cracker. especially when slung by a crazed lunatic who just got scored on. its perhaps the one thing i miss when playing online. its kind of hard to smoke your opponents knee when he is sitting in california or something.

the extent of our lingo never really reaches beyond weaving a tapestry of obscenities that still hangs in space somewhere over lake michigan to this day. we liked "read the scoreboard!" when one talks trash when trailing.

In my circle, when you score with Svoboda, you turn to the guy next to you and yell "Savvvvvy Boda!".

And when you switch to manual goalie and nail the breakaway guy with a dive, we call that the "flying burrito".

im glad you supported my trashing of Hrudey, but i need some explanation on the "flying burrito" analogy. never does a burrito come into play when i think of 94, only maybe if i went to 7-11 between tournys. but even then my food of choice would be lemon pepper wings and a mountain dew slurpee.

I previously omitted "shhnipe"(goal) and dangle(s) (nice stickhandling) in my terms, as i thought they were universal, but hey why not throw them out there.

im glad you supported my trashing of Hrudey, but i need some explanation on the "flying burrito" analogy. never does a burrito come into play when i think of 94,

Perhaps this is because the Avalanche did not exist in 1994.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wickedfool/65366414/

When you score with the Sabres you must bellow TATANKA!

The method of scoring inelegantly described by the desginers as "Fake Outside Shoot Inside" is, in our house, simply "The Move".

My boys and I used to refer to Jeremy Roenick as "Ironman", because he was simply UNCHECKABLE!

We also used to call the C button "The Tough-guy Button" since you used it to check guys over the boards.

There must be more of them but I'm struggling to think of them right now...

• 2 weeks later...

When you checked someone so hard they stuck to the boards, we’d say, “Planted!” pause briefly and then follow up with “LIKE A FLOWER!”.

im glad you supported my trashing of Hrudey, but i need some explanation on the "flying burrito" analogy. never does a burrito come into play when i think of 94, only maybe if i went to 7-11 between tournys. but even then my food of choice would be lemon pepper wings and a mountain dew slurpee.

Man, mountain dew slurpees are awesome for any occasion. However, back to my original point.... when you dive with the goalie he takes on the shape of a burrito. When you're stopping a breakaway and you choose to dive out there with your goalie... the flying burrito came into existence. It's not like someone planned that name out... someone just said it one day and it stuck. There's not much more I can say about it.... but then again, I guess that's what lingo is all about.

Man, mountain dew slurpees are awesome for any occasion. However, back to my original point.... when you dive with the goalie he takes on the shape of a burrito. When you're stopping a breakaway and you choose to dive out there with your goalie... the flying burrito came into existence. It's not like someone planned that name out... someone just said it one day and it stuck. There's not much more I can say about it.... but then again, I guess that's what lingo is all about.

Well said, thats exactly what i wanter to hear, just where the birth of this rather unlikely term came from. And ill have to confirm the resemblance to a burrito later, but maybe im not making mu burritos right and should make them more like a diving goalie. \

God speed

just a quick little word that comes up every so often..

"Witzer", a shortened version of the "Howitzer"

used frequently when the cannon Al macInnis is dropping bombs on Dallas tendy Jon Casey.

The Tripple Lindy: Performing a deke and lighting the lamp whilst being checked and flipping. I have Lemieux doing one in my '93 vid.

Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield was an old fav and we called it this from the movie.

Cranium Carom: Shooting the disk and having it ricochet off the goalies head (or off a skaters) and finding the twine.

Playing on Genesis we emulated Flyers announcer Jim Jackson and called it this when it happened.

There was a thread like this many moons ago probably buried in the bowels of the forum. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is. http://nhl94.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1616

There's:

"The backhandfloater" named after the '94 pioneer backhandfloater.

Firstly, I had no idea, Sir "backhandfloater" was the chel pioneer? We are forever endebted to you.

"Grand Slam Goal"

When you score a goal and then check all 5 of your opponent's players to the ice. This is VERY rare, since they guys must be lined up nicely for you, and since your guy is cheering, you don't get much time to dole out the punishment. I've only noticed myself do it once. Checking the same guy twice doesn't count as two checks -- it must be all 5 unique players. Note: They don't all have to be lying on the ice at the same time; it's ok if they get up, as long as you don't hit the same guy again and count it as two checks.

Badger should like this one, since he started a thread about it.

Moreover, Mr.Clockwise can be considered no less that a hardcore chel fan for he knew where to find all this info. Respect your favorite way to score, and thank you for enlightening us on the past.

As per your assumtion, Baron #1, I do find this type of goal very enjoyable.

It is the goal of a strong, surly man like myself.

Men who score this type of goal usually share the following characteristics:

1. Tend to wear thick plaid shirts (a la Al Borland)

2. Have a large beard (once again, like our friend Al)

3. Can eat multiple "Hungryman" TV dinners in one sitting

4. Prefer a hybrid "boxer brief" over both the boxer and the brief, respectively

5. Finally, this style of human is not ashamed to say they use an elliptical trainer to stay slender, yet cut.

Please do not be fooled, I do not have a beard, nor do I own a plaid shirt, however, the remaining 3 points paint an extremely accurate portrait of myself.

Anywho, the main bullet point of this post is to say Yes, I do like the Grand Slam Goal.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some of the lingo I used to use back in the day...

Nano’d – Short for Nanosecond. When taking goalie control (Genesis), the Goalie is absolutely retarded and highly susceptible to being scored on for a Nano-Second (more accurately, about a millisecond) right before you actually get control of him. During this time frame, goalie save percentage plummets and goals are often scored. (example: I gotta take GC faster. That bastard just nano’d my ass.)

Show and Tell – This is a goalie control technique where you take goalie control really early on an opponent’s breakaway causing them to try to pull a wild or difficult deke. Then you simply flip back to auto goalie to let the cpu make the save.

Fumble – This is where the goalie appears to make the save. Then shortly after the “active player star” flickers quickly and a goal is scored. This usually happens when the goalie’s back is to the post, but can happen anywhere in the crease. (example: Belfour fumbles yet again!)

No Respect – This phrase is said to your opponent when he doesn’t take Goalie control on a basic text book break away deke, taunting him for not taking control. (Example: What? No goalie control on my breakaway? (I get) No respect!) Its kinda like Rodney Dangerfield used to say.

The Ride - This is when your opponents defender fails to get his skater turned around and skating backwards, and you "ride" his back in for a deke. (example: I rode McSorley's fat ass all the way in for the goal.)

2-Timer – This occurs when a failed one-timer’s rebound touches the shooters stick allowing a 2nd or even 3rd one timer chance. This phenomenon also can occur on a up close slap shot rebound.

Delayed One-Timer – This is when a one timer pass is deflected or blocked but trickles to the shooters stick for a delayed one timer shot.

Typewriter Style - Not necessarily a NHL 94 term but used to describe a players technique for holding a control pad where the index finger and middle finger are used on the right hand for the A, B, C buttons.

Quick Finger (one-timer) - noun or verb: Used to describe a one timer thats unhumanly fast. (example: Nice quick finger. You must be playing typewriter style)

Fat Finger - Used to describe a telegraphed one timer that was obviously missed due to slow fingers. (example: You would have won that in OT if you didnt fat finger that last one.)

Sit and Spin – Coined after the old children’s toy. This is where you find a good spot and plant your guy. Give him a quick 180 spin for either a quick wrister up close, or a slap shot out far. I probably should make a video of this one for a better explanation

Friendly Nudge – This is where your opponents C check attempt only pushes you into better shooting position. This occurs on both Slap Shots and Dekes. (example: Thanks for the friendly nudge. I don’t think I coulda pulled off that deke with out you!)

God Mode – There is a glitch in the game (gens) where you cannot “C” check a skater twice in a row. It’s hard to explain, but try hitting the same guy twice in a row with a C check after the whistle. It simply does not work. Hint: This can be used to your advantage. (example: He kept trying to hit me but my skater was in God Mode and scored an easy one.)

Cheese Dick – adjective: Used to describe dishonorable tactics or games. Example 1: You have to resort to cheese dick crease cuts to win? Example 2: He ran the clock on me for a cheese dick win. noun: Someone who resorts to “cheese dick” tactics to win a game. ie: running the clock for a win, crease cutting, pass goals. Example: Nice crease cut cheese dick!

Ram – This is the dirty cheese dick tactic of nudging, pushing, checking your goalie into the post forcing the opposing goalie to fumble the puck into the net.

Spin the Wheel - The pregame method of blindly choosing your team by rapidly scrolling through the team list and stopping randomly to make your selection. (All-Stars, Chicago are excluded)

Im French Speaking so its different stuff.

There is The ''Boulet a Goulet'' Which is a Michel Goulet Shot.. a Boulet is a cannon ball.

the ''But Cheap'' ''but'' is a goal. The cheap goal is when you go infront of the goalie in a horizontal way and drop the puck in. recently rebaptised the Rocket Goal since the Movie : Maurice ''Rocket'' Richard went out and we noticed he always does this goal.

Everytime Joel Otto make a goal (always a beaty) i goes one with some stuff like OttoDestruction, Ottomator or anything with Otto in it...

Most of consist of Nick Name of Players, you can invente them at will.

Nano’d – Short for Nanosecond. When taking goalie control (Genesis), the Goalie is absolutely retarded and highly susceptible to being scored on for a Nano-Second (more accurately, about a millisecond) right before you actually get control of him. During this time frame, goalie save percentage plummets and goals are often scored. (example: I gotta take GC faster. That bastard just nano’d my ass.)

Show and Tell – This is a goalie control technique where you take goalie control really early on an opponent’s breakaway causing them to try to pull a wild or difficult deke. Then you simply flip back to auto goalie to let the cpu make the save.

Fumble – This is where the goalie appears to make the save. Then shortly after the “active player star” flickers quickly and a goal is scored. This usually happens when the goalie’s back is to the post, but can happen anywhere in the crease. (example: Belfour fumbles yet again!)

No Respect – This phrase is said to your opponent when he doesn’t take Goalie control on a basic text book break away deke, taunting him for not taking control. (Example: What? No goalie control on my breakaway? (I get) No respect!) Its kinda like Rodney Dangerfield used to say.

The Ride - This is when your opponents defender fails to get his skater turned around and skating backwards, and you "ride" his back in for a deke. (example: I rode McSorley's fat ass all the way in for the goal.)

2-Timer – This occurs when a failed one-timer’s rebound touches the shooters stick allowing a 2nd or even 3rd one timer chance. This phenomenon also can occur on a up close slap shot rebound.

Delayed One-Timer – This is when a one timer pass is deflected or blocked but trickles to the shooters stick for a delayed one timer shot.

Typewriter Style - Not necessarily a NHL 94 term but used to describe a players technique for holding a control pad where the index finger and middle finger are used on the right hand for the A, B, C buttons.

Quick Finger (one-timer) - noun or verb: Used to describe a one timer thats unhumanly fast. (example: Nice quick finger. You must be playing typewriter style)

Fat Finger - Used to describe a telegraphed one timer that was obviously missed due to slow fingers. (example: You would have won that in OT if you didnt fat finger that last one.)

Sit and Spin – Coined after the old children’s toy. This is where you find a good spot and plant your guy. Give him a quick 180 spin for either a quick wrister up close, or a slap shot out far. I probably should make a video of this one for a better explanation

Friendly Nudge – This is where your opponents C check attempt only pushes you into better shooting position. This occurs on both Slap Shots and Dekes. (example: Thanks for the friendly nudge. I don’t think I coulda pulled off that deke with out you!)

God Mode – There is a glitch in the game (gens) where you cannot “C” check a skater twice in a row. It’s hard to explain, but try hitting the same guy twice in a row with a C check after the whistle. It simply does not work. Hint: This can be used to your advantage. (example: He kept trying to hit me but my skater was in God Mode and scored an easy one.)

Cheese Dick – adjective: Used to describe dishonorable tactics or games. Example 1: You have to resort to cheese dick crease cuts to win? Example 2: He ran the clock on me for a cheese dick win. noun: Someone who resorts to “cheese dick” tactics to win a game. ie: running the clock for a win, crease cutting, pass goals. Example: Nice crease cut cheese dick!

Ram – This is the dirty cheese dick tactic of nudging, pushing, checking your goalie into the post forcing the opposing goalie to fumble the puck into the net.

Spin the Wheel - The pregame method of blindly choosing your team by rapidly scrolling through the team list and stopping randomly to make your selection. (All-Stars, Chicago are excluded)

LOL...nice work!....the 'no respect' one is my fav.

BHF, I enjoyed all those, very well done, especially the Fat Finger (hilarious). In my world, the Fumble is known as the Flutter Bug b/c of the goalie's actions to take control of the puck like he's swatting at a bug. I never really cared for our name though, especially b/c I was typically had the team with the spaz goaltender.

We also had a couple others:

No-Move: When your offender is fading across the crease on a breakaway and flicks a wristshot in the opposite upper 90 without even having to move his stick.

No-No-Move: The classic coming in at the angle to bring the puck back to stick in the near corner, however, not even having to shoot b/c the goalie knocks you down. In other words, the momentum of your guy knocks the goalie out of position and the puck slides in.

Its been a while since I posted here, but this is a great topic. There are so many from my circle of friends, but here I go.

Captains Platter - 3 assists in one game. Started first by, the Captain, Mark Messier hence the name.

Sh#t Goal - Any goal that was not due to any sort of skil, usualy from scrums around the net where it bounces off people a few times. Usually accompanied by a diving goalie.

Neck Brace - Grant Fuhr was known as this. For his pic in the game he had his neck protector on, but it appeared to go high so he became this name.

Quick Wrister - When you need a late goal and there is not time enough to get down the ice and shoot, just line up in the middle of the ice and pass forward.

Not a name, but the act of putting 'draw' on a player from a check was fun. It was always a competition to see how far you could bounce the guy back towards the middle after a big board check. Usually you had to catch the front of the opponent to do this.

Zamboni with the spatula attachment - This was called for when you just buried a player into the boards or mid-ice. The idea was that player was not getting up on his own and would need the help of the zamboni to scrape him off the ice.

Tanning bed - This was the name of the goal where you skated directly accross the crease and held a slap shot until the goalie stacked his pads. Easy goal against the computer. (The picture of this is actually in the NHL 94 banner)

The Wiggle - the method of scoring that most experienced players can do on the breakaway by driving to the far post and getting the goalie to stray and coming back near post.

Also, I used to have a translation sheet of foreign to english names. Most of them translated to Jerry like Jaroslav or Jiri, but the best was Ulf as in Dahlen/Samuellson became Art. Just silly, but fun.

Good stuff.

The god mode is especially evident during 2on2 games when someones checked and can't corral the puck for a 3 mississippi.

And I see your Typewriter Style and raise you:

Porridage and Juice - Beating your opponent decisively about the head and face then berating him with vulgarities in a heavy Nordic accent.

- (see description)

Good job man! I love "The Ride". I do that all the time, especially to McSorleys big fat ass :D

• 2 weeks later...

"The EA Special" or quite simply "The EricAnthony" - Coined after the Chicago native Eric Anthony. Put simply, a masterfully timed lob at the net that forces a rebound goal that makes a fool out of the best of goal tenders.

In 10+ years of playing the game I've never seen anyone pull off the rebounds like Eric Anthony. The game continues to evolve!