NHL'94 Forums

Hextall makes 1 save in 5-4 loss... -Disgraceful day for 94- Killing the Clock

HABS

Hextall was absolute horse s**t in this one making 1 save on 6 shots...

But the story of the game was the disgraceful way of -killing the clock- with about 2:50 left in the 3rd after captain yzerman made it 5-3...the flames decided its time to just skate around back and forth and play keep away.

Im not sure about everybody else, but in all my online games this is considered an utter disgrace. I have very very rarily seen it happen in league games.

(Im not taking anything away from calgary, who built up a 5-3 lead nicely)

What is everybodies view on killing the clock?

This just takes all fun out of the game and provides a slap in your face, IMO.

a win is a win though. gg

What is everybodies view on killing the clock?

WEAK!!!. It's just plain weak. What a disgraceful embarassing way to win. I could not hold my head up with a win like that. (I'd rather bury it in the sand)

On the other side of the coin, one can say they do that in real hockey. Well, this ain't real hockey. It's a video game.

Play the game. Play a full 3 periods what ever the score is.

a win is a win though. gg

I give a "GG" to my opponent win or lose regardless of score. Not sure I can say GG after a garbage like that. Well maybe I could. (if my opponent had a vagina)

well im not a big fan of people killing the clock but i wont sit here and say i never do it. Today in my game against new york i ended up trying to kill the clock by just clearing the zone a few times when i was down 2 men in the third period. Its not something i wanted to do or am proud of, but i just didnt want my 3 guys to be beaten by mario's skill, eklund's hardiness or courtnalls speed. I did open my attack back up though when i was back to even strength.

Also i must note some guys playing style is like killing the clock, habs loves to hold the puck with one guy and skate around or do some timely passes and im somewhat similar, sometimes our styles lead to killing the clock without doing it on purpose. So saying people kill the clock on purpose isnt much different in execution than some other peoples game plans.

I know I'd be pretty angry if a guy ran the clock out on me... it seems like a cowardly way to get a win. However, this is just like the issue of the "skate-across" goal. It may be considered a cheap way of playing, but it is totally legitamit. Some guys will do what they have to to win, and this is one strategy that can work. Even though you won't find me skating for 2-3 minutes for the win, I would back it up as legit.

It's a cheap way to win, but it's a legal strategy.

I know I'll be doing it though to keep my 1st league win. I now have absolutely no intention of going 0-56-0.